Iconoclast album samples on Itunes

Sorry for the wait everyone, It took me a while to figure out but I managed to make a crappy slideshow style video with the samples:

Thank you for this. It's wonderful. Symphony X has done it.

The music appears to be the best of both worlds. The fantastic, aggressive, well-polished sound and the sharp musicianship of Paradise Lost, with the interesting songs and epic sweep of The Odyssey.

I can't believe the song "Iconoclast" is almost eleven minutes long. That's going to be crazy, crazy good.

I'm only a *tiny* bit worried about the ballad, "When All is Lost", tho. I think the two ballads on Paradise Lost were the best ever recorded by a hard rock band, (an opinion I know full well is not universally shared, FWIW) so maybe my expectations are set too high, but the half-minute clip I heard on the video above didn't move me.

P.S. I've never never been too concerned with S/X's lyrics. They're not exactly Shakespearean (sorry, guys), but they do fit the style of the music. Also, they're coherent, they're sensible, they're eminently singable, and they work just fine. You could say they're "good enough" and they don't cause me any trouble. It might sound like I'm damning them with faint praise, but most hard rock lyrics out there are garbage, so relatively speaking, S/X is still ahead of the game here.

Well .. it sounds like there's 'singing' on at least one track, as opposed to the gravelly screaming that I can't stand. I think I'm going to take a pass on this one. After being supremely disappointed in PL ... it sounds like this is just more of the same.

Bands evolve, and bands change. It's just the way things are. I wouldn't want them to keep putting out albums identical to their older ones. If I wanna hear V, or the Odyssey...I'll put those albums on. This is a new direction for them. Do I miss some of the cleaner singing? Yeah, absolutely. But I love the fresh sound, and the groove is fantastic. I've never grooved along to Symphony X songs like this before.

So basically, sorry you're disappointed, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Bands evolve, and bands change. It's just the way things are. I wouldn't want them to keep putting out albums identical to their older ones. If I wanna hear V, or the Odyssey...I'll put those albums on. This is a new direction for them. Do I miss some of the cleaner singing? Yeah, absolutely. But I love the fresh sound, and the groove is fantastic. I've never grooved along to Symphony X songs like this before.

So basically, sorry you're disappointed, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Oh absolutely. Bands change, and when they no longer fit what you're looking for then you just move on. Kind of sad, but that's life. Although I don't really think they've evolved here - it's just a carbon-copy of PL-type music - but the point is still the same.

Glad a lot of you are liking this, and hope the band is hugely successful. There's no denying the talent these guys have, so I wish them only the best.

I'm only a *tiny* bit worried about the ballad, "When All is Lost", tho. I think the two ballads on Paradise Lost were the best ever recorded by a hard rock band, (an opinion I know full well is not universally shared, FWIW) so maybe my expectations are set too high, but the half-minute clip I heard on the video above didn't move me.

That's the intro from a 9 minute song. This didn't move me either, none of the samples did. I think it's about the progression, a single note is stupid but a sequence of notes is interesting, even though every note on itself is as boring as a single note. Wait for the context. Actually I don't expect it to ballad at all.

Bummer. I don't understand why it's okay to have the samples in one place but not in another. It's not like you have to pay for the samples on iTunes.

Yeah When All Is Lost hasn't been promoted as a ballad most reviews say it's an epic piece so I think that will just be one part of it.

Children Of A Faceless God is actually the one they said was lighter but it didn't sound that light in the sample... :S

Anyway I skimmed through these but I'm trying not to listen too much as I want the songs to sound new when I hear them. Also, even if the preview doesn't sound amazing that doesn't really mean anything for the song, and if it does sound great that could just be one great / different part and give you false hopes / expectations for the song.

Having said that the one time I listened to part of Iconoclast it sounded awesome - I really want to save that so I can hear the intro in full though. And it's good to finally have something from the three double album tracks which haven't been mentioned in the reviews.

hmm.. most of these samples don't show the coolest parts of the songs, especially Iconoclast.

I would certainly hope so...wouldn't make sense to put the best parts into a little teaser. I actually haven't listened to any of the clips, I've only heard Dehumanized and End of Innocence. I don't wanna hear some tiny chunk of a 12 minute song. I wanna wait till I have the whole album, then put on my amazing headphones, turn off my phone, and carefully listen to all of it.

This new clip from Nuclear Blast has a much longer section of Iconoclast playing in the background

sounds pretty grand.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Itunes store, theres a full 1:30 length track preview for each song. That's 1:30 of EACH song. WOOHOO!!! Listening to them all now to get an idea of each tracks direction.

Update: "Children of a Faceless God" sounds so fucking amazing; in vein with songs off V like "Rediscovery". "When All is Lost" seems to be the "Paradise Lost" of the album...very emotional track. "Lords of Chaos" sounds groovy as fuck - reminds me of "Wicked" in a way. The keyboards and key changes in "Reign in Madness" are the coolest I have ever heard in a Symphony X - extremely different but very catchy...going to be one of the favorites on the album I think.

Don't care for "Electric Messiah" or "Heretic" as of yet..those are the only two I don't care for yet.

Russ sounds so much like Dio in a lot of the samples; Bastards in particular has a very Dio-ish verse. I knew he was a big influence on Russ, but I've never really heard it in Symphony X's music until now.

I'm also not sure how I feel about Heretic yet. I like the verse, but the chorus reminds me of classic Metallica. This would normally be a good thing, but Symphony X is so far beyond Metallica musically that it just sounds odd for them to do something in this style.

Not too much keyboard in the samples, though. Sounds mostly like string chords held in the background, or not playing at all...

Hi,

Please someone make a Compilation of those 1:30 samples on youtube :)
Heavy_metal_Jesus you were the man before :)

Thanks!

"When All is Lost" seems to be the "Paradise Lost" of the album...very emotional track.

It is, except that from halfway til near the end of the song it's less of a ballad and more of an older progressive kinda thing. Super sweet track imo.

Iconoclast is fucking awesome. Epic/grand moments, dark, so much prog, has a fucking KICK ASS solo by Romeo :worship: and a good old awesome Pinnella solo following it. It has some pretty awesome and V'ish keyboard melodies, and an end that's very similar to Inferno's, with an exotic V'ish type of feel to it.

Iconoclast and When All is Lost are the album's monsters IMO (each in its own special way).

Then you have some awesome tracks like Children of a Faceless God, etc.

Yeah then you'll probably have a song or two that you don't care about as much (like Heretic for me as well).

Also agree about the Dio influence surfacing up, in a good way imo. :)

the samples im really loving is Iconoclast, Bastards of the Machine, When All is Lost, Electric Messiah and Light up the Night