Iconoclast spoiler thread

New cd smokes.....It's kicking buckets of ass all over the place. Not ONE song to complain about, IMO. I think if Jesus Christ himself came down and released V Pt II, the unreleased 2nd disc, the detractors would have something negative to say.

I like this cd better than Paradise Lost, and I LOVED Paradise Lost. I'm a fan from way back, and this is one of the few bands that have never released a cd I didn't like.

For all the "not prog enough" complainers:

Remember that Symphony X is first and foremost a METAL band. In the same interview MJR said this, I believe he said something about not even liking the term "progressive metal". Cheers to the guys for releasing a spectacular cd!

I may be a fanboi, but if they put out something I thought was shite, I'd have no problem saying it. This release is shit free!:Smokedev:

I tried to be as critical as I could, but as J-Dubya said its hard to knock my fanboyism :D

Iconoclast: Can't say anything beyond whats already been said. Mad catchy and memorable. I wanted more mini-epics like Rediscovery on this album, and this song fits that bill perfectly.

End of Innocence: It may be because I heard this song first, but I find it the most "meh" of all the album. Definitely not bad.

Dehumanized: I still love the "Is this life?" section a lot, and overall a very good song.

Bastards of the Machine: the shortest and maybe most "compact song". Its catchy, especially the "hey!" chanting. Very very nice.

Heretic: When i first heard the sample, i did think the chorus was a bit too Metallica-y, but on the whole I absolutely adore this song now. Its so heavy, and the riffing is almost diabolical.

Children of a Faceless God:The chorus just doesn't hit me. I mean, the rest of the song has glimpses of greatness, but the chorus does fall flat for me, like someone said before. On the whole, a pretty decent song but could have been better.

When all is Lost: Beautiful, and it only gets better as it goes on. The beginning is a nice piano melody but when the acoustic guitars and such start layering the song really shines. I teared a bit the first time I heard it (granted it was 3am and i was a little out of it).

Electric Messiah: Loving the chorus (and russells singing as a whole), and the solo threw me off at how cool it was the first time i heard it.

Prometheus: For some reason i think the songs a little too heavy, at least in the vocals department. This may be one case where Russell tries TOO hard, but the song is still catchy as hell, and its one of the songs where the drumming really does stand out, as CantoX said.

Light up the Night: This song should have been on the primary CD. It may be my favorite chorus on the album (and theres a lot of good chorus's on this album if you couldnt tell lol). Extremely fast and powerful.

Lords of Chaos: What an weird beginning lol. I can't say much about the song, but its definitely got some nice vocal hooks, but I can see if people may get tired of it after a while.

Reign in Madness: And I thought Lords of Chaos had a weird beginning lol. This song perplexes me the most when I try to give a solid review of it. Its definitely good. (Someone please tell me that Russell singing doesn't remind you of the Accept song "Teutonic Terror" at 3:48). I like the softer part in the middle of the song. My only major complaint is that it doesn't seem to hit as strongly as an ending track as Revelation did on PL.

As a Symphony X album, maybe an 8 or 8.5/10. Definitely one of their best/most consistent albums

The organ thing only lasts like 30 seconds. Although, they do bring it in again towards the end of the song. Off the top of my head, I don't believe they use it on any other songs on Iconoclast. The specific part has a sound that kind of reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzyy3sldyPQ&t=1m17s

That's a huge complement to SX for you to compare their song to that.

And I know I live under a rock, but did the new album already come out or something? How did everyone here hear it? I thought it was due on Friday. I looked on piratebay and didn't see it.

I think the leak was very minimal.
Got it off a french tracker and it had only 60 sends.

I'm glad I could not find the double cd on the internet because I'll still have a couple of surprises when I'll buy the album.

As someone said, good work deserve to get paid and I'll be happy to give my share.

I cant be a leak if they are already selling it in their live shows.
That´s how i got it.

New cd smokes.....It's kicking buckets of ass all over the place. Not ONE song to complain about, IMO. I think if Jesus Christ himself came down and released V Pt II, the unreleased 2nd disc, the detractors would have something negative to say.

I like this cd better than Paradise Lost, and I LOVED Paradise Lost. I'm a fan from way back, and this is one of the few bands that have never released a cd I didn't like.

For all the "not prog enough" complainers:

Remember that Symphony X is first and foremost a METAL band. In the same interview MJR said this, I believe he said something about not even liking the term "progressive metal". Cheers to the guys for releasing a spectacular cd!

I may be a fanboi, but if they put out something I thought was shite, I'd have no problem saying it. This release is shit free!:Smokedev:

QFT!! :)

Wow, incredible album!! It is maybe their heaviest album. I like it a lot!
How I love this band!!!
This album is following the pattern created in Paradise Lost, heavier and darker sound. Anyway, there's an amazing "ballad": When all is lost. There are some power metal choruses too. I like a lot the album, sounds really mechanic in some parts, as Romeo said, like the album's concept. There are some incredible solos, it's always a pleasure to hear Romeo playing. There are a lot of keys too, at least a lot more than in Paradise Lost. There are some ass kicking key solos.
And again, I'm sold with Allen's voice!

And I know I live under a rock, but did the new album already come out or something? How did everyone here hear it? I thought it was due on Friday. I looked on piratebay and didn't see it.

Methinks he's not comparing it.

How did everyone here hear it? I thought it was due on Friday. I looked on piratebay and didn't see it.

Dude you still live in the torrent age? It's the file hosting age here (megaupload, rapidshare, etc). Use something like FilesTube to search for links.

No it's not released yet, this is a leak. It will be out in just a few days though.

:lol: Musically? I say it's a complement to Ayreon. :Smokedev:

i bought the original one at their show, it was in their merchandizing, i even chose the limited edition one, the double, with the booklet and some stickers, so yeah, its already out man.

On retail? No it's not.

The merch people can sell the album at their live show but that doesn't necessary mean the album is released on retail yet.

I have to say "When All Is Lost" "Iconoclast" and "Reign In Terror" are three of the best songs SX has ever written.

I finally had the chance to hear Iconoclast...:kickass:

Really asewome album :worship:, but no masterpiece, I agree.

I heard maybe too much references and/or similarities to another songs of SX`s, something that haven´t happened me before. I have not problem with that though, this album has its own thing too.

What I really can`t get is that "When All is Lost" started and continued so, so, so fucking great! And would be a top 10 SX song (like someone posted before) but really missed two things... A Pînella`s solo and a more epic-oriented ending, which deserved it :(

This last applies also to the whole record, I feel "Reign in Madness" isn´t a good enough closer.

I truly need to hear it more to form a better opinion, but now all I can say is that expectations were higher, but I´m not dissapointed with this album.

I think reign in madness is a great closer. It just has that "last track" feel to me. The only thing I would change would be have it fade out during the chorus or have a more mellow and slower ending instead of going back to the heavy part and just ending. I like the way the first track ends. Something like that would be nice to close out the album. Other than that, Reign in madness is a killer song and I love the keyboard in the intro/chorus that so many people seem to hate.

Also, Lords of Chaos is groovy as hell

I think reign in madness is a great closer. It just has that "last track" feel to me. The only thing I would change would be have it fade out during the chorus or have a more mellow and slower ending instead of going back to the heavy part and just ending. I like the way the first track ends. Something like that would be nice to close out the album. Other than that, Reign in madness is a killer song and I love the keyboard in the intro/chorus that so many people seem to hate.

Also, Lords of Chaos is groovy as hell
:guh:
Anything is better than a fade-out.