Idea for DT Covers Album

anita_job

Feb 28, 2007
prisonerofstarvation.blogspot.com
After listening to the Sentenced cover over and over and over ... I was thinking it'd be great if DT did an album of covers, both of old and newer stuff that they like or that they want to pay tribute to in some way. Something along the lines of Metallica's Garage Days (or dare I say Garage, Inc.).

Yes, I know they have a lot of covers already, but those are scattered one-offs made for tributes to particular bands (Iron Maiden, etc). Honestly, everytime DT covers a song, they manage to outshine the original, which is tough as hell considering that some of those songs are metal classics.

Also, good way to break in a new bass player. Let him fool around with other people's songs first :lol:

Thoughts?

I don't know, a whole album of covers sounds a lot like "hey, we're running out of ideas. Next time it'll be a Best Of. See ya in a few years".

Once in a blue moon is ok, but I wouldn't want them to waste too much of their talent on pre-digested food.

Edit: I used to be all for it in the past, though, so take my criticism with a grain anyway. ;)

I don't know, a whole album of covers sounds a lot like "hey, we're running out of ideas"
Exactly my thought.
They do a really good job when they make covers, but too much of a thing spoils the fun. Once in a while is ok imo. Plus what is great about DT is their originality, noone needs another cover band. :p

@rahvin: a grain of what, dear? can i take it with a grain of coffee? :p

i think this is a good idea, as long as it stays as an idea. for now.

now sort of off topic; i'm thinking that it would be brilliant to hear a cover of "auctioned" by anathema.

I'd like to hear them cover a band like Cream or Blue Cheer or Mountain. Not just covering the song off the CD but introducing their trademark 'electronic' elements, changing the structure of the song etc etc

After reading the above post, the idea of hearing a VNV Nation cover hit me like a train and i almost clapped my hands.

I don't know, a whole album of covers sounds a lot like "hey, we're running out of ideas. Next time it'll be a Best Of. See ya in a few years".

That was true for Metallica but wouldn't be true for DT. Most of their covers are actually pretty original.

I just think it'd be a nice change of pace, something unexpected. Also, if they did some electronica covers that would be crazy.

And if they would include a saxophone every now and then (I am serious, at least a little bit).

I'd be up for an EP of covers along with some unreleased B-Sides. Wishful thinking seeing as they release all their B-sides, but maybe they could arrange something after they finish the album that's going to come out next year...? They've got an every two years thing going, it'd be unfair to disappoint now. We have expectations dammit!

Well, it may sound like a good idea, but at the same time we're sceptical. I agree that it'd be interesting to do a couple of really creative covers, trying to interpret songs outside of our own genre, but that would require just as much work as writing own material, and it's obviously better for everyone if we come up with a new D.T. album instead.

Even if some of our covers have turned out alright, they've been the result of record labels begging us to participate on tribute or compilation albums. We've never actually enjoyed playing other bands's songs very much, so it's nothing that we'd do "just for fun".

But who knows? The ideal situation is to have enough time for recording plenty of great original songs as well as a few carefully selected covers, but making a whole cover album and making it good doesn't seem too realistic.

Well, it may sound like a good idea, but at the same time we're sceptical. I agree that it'd be interesting to do a couple of really creative covers, trying to interpret songs outside of our own genre, but that would require just as much work as writing own material, and it's obviously better for everyone if we come up with a new D.T. album instead.

Even if some of our covers have turned out alright, they've been the result of record labels begging us to participate on tribute or compilation albums. We've never actually enjoyed playing other bands's songs very much, so it's nothing that we'd do "just for fun".

But who knows? The ideal situation is to have enough time for recording plenty of great original songs as well as a few carefully selected covers, but making a whole cover album and making it good doesn't seem too realistic.

Opeth released a few covers on the expanded edition of Watershed, which was cool. Although I agree, I'd far rather have some new DT to pleasure my ears with, than you guys improving on stuff that's already been done.

It wouldn't be fun if DT covered metal artists/bands. I do not know if you guys have heard this song called '(I Want You) She's So Heavy' by the Beatles off their Abbey Road album. Now, that's potential material.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgg8Y-kn4p0"](I Want You) She's So Heavy[/ame]

Does anyone know the US release date of Century Media-Covering 20 years Of Extremes CD ?
I'm looking forward to getting it.

Check the tracklist :) :

CD1 :

01 Arch Enemy - The Book Of Heavy Metal (Dream Evil) 04:17
02 Dark Tranquillity - Broken (Sentenced) 04:19
03 Heaven Shal Burn - Whatever That Hurts (Tiamat) 06:15
04 Shadows Fall - December (Only Living Witness) 05:04
05 Brand New Sin - Watching Over Me (Iced Earth) 04:19
06 Wolf - Alma Mater (Moonspell) 04:16
07 Mercenary - Burning Bridges (Arch Enemy) 04:16
08 God Forbid - Master Killer (Merauder) 03:57
09 Warbringer - Execute Them All (Unleashed) 03:31
10 Grave - Vermin (Asphyx) 03:57
11 Architects - Officer Down (Stampin' Ground) 04:50
12 Napalm Death - Outconditioned (Despair) 02:29
13 Krisiun - Human Dissection (Demolition Hammer) 04:43
14 Cryptopsy - Oh My Fucking God 03:29
(Strapping Young Lad)
15 Maroon - Baphomet's Throne (Samael) 03:29
16 Watch Them Die - Breeding Death (Bloodbath) 04:25

CD2 :

01 Firewind - Believe In Nothing (Nevermore) 04:23
02 Dream Evil - Let The Killing Begin (Arch Enemy) 05:28
03 Fear My Thoughts - The Weapon They Fear 04:33
(Heaven Shall Burn)
04 The Agonist - Monochromatic Stains 03:33
(Dark Tranquillity)
05 The Forsaken - You'll Never See (Grave) 05:10
06 Devian - Isolated (Morgoth) 05:21
07 Heaven Shall Burn - Downfall Of Christ (Merauder) 03:12
08 Aborted - Playing Dead (Turmoil) 02:09
09 Terror - Boxed In (Subzero) 02:53
10 Napalm Death - Messiah (Hellhammer) 03:30
11 Asphyx - Os Abysmi Vel Daath (Celtic Frost) 05:06
12 Zimmers Hole - Doomaker (Old Man's Child) 04:14
13 Fu Manchu - Words To Live By (Penance) 04:39
14 Manntis feat. In This Moment - Heaven's A Lie 03:03
(Lacuna Coil)
15 Kivimetsaen Druidi - Leaves (The Gathering) 04:42
16 Intronaut - Dixie Whiskey (Eyehategod) 04:50

Really? Wow! That's the first! any particular reason why?

Hey, I'm with 12X5 on that, they ruined the whole thing. Can't name specific reasons except that it sounds nothing like the original (I know it's a cover but still, they could have at least kept the same rhythm)

I always liked the fact that it doesnt sound like the original. Everyone can make it sound more or less like the original, but turn it into something different, that still has quality, that's more of a challenge.