PETITION for In Flames/DT Nostalgia Tour

Short reply: "Meh".

Longer reply:

This is one of the ideas that might look good on paper, but realistically speaking, there's no way of it ever happening.

I won't go into details about how everything works, since the business aspect of the things is something we want to spend as little time with as possible (and there's plenty of info online for anyone who's truly interested in the mechanics and logistics of touring), but I just can't see the "nostalgia" idea being something that would interest promotors and booking agents, and no amount of online petitions would change that.

In all fairness, people tend to overestimate the degree to which other people are interested in the "old classics". It's very easy to say that there's a substantial following yearning for a tour like this, but promotors need cold hard numbers, and if the sales of a recent album is way higher than the 1995 release, nobody will be interested in risking their $$$ by booking a show where the premise is that only old material will be played.

Also, we're not a nostalgia act. The goal of our music was never to please as many people as possible or to aim for mass appeal, so there's little dignity in embarking on a time travel journey like this. While I realize that there is more than one way of looking at it, a back-to-the-roots tour would invalidate everything we've done during the past 10 years, and we're not *that* old and cynical just yet.

So - sorry if sounding a bit negative. The idea is appreciated, but there are just so many reasons why it couldn't be done.

@Naglfar: You might want to double-check the post above yours. :p

@Dark Idea: In the video you posted, Anders delivered no more than 9 seconds of growls i'd pay to listen to, and he spent the other 3 minutes sounding like a screaming old hag who has possibly been in the habit of smoking for ages. On the other hand, i have seen DT live a few times, and i never regretted a cent i spent for it. My point is that Anders might be better technically (i have to take your word for it, i am no expert to judge this), but the end result that reaches my ears is not at all in his favour. So it all comes down to personal preferences.
As for Opeth, i have seen them live and they're excellent technically. I do agree that Åkerfeldt is a great vocalist (i enjoy both his deep growls and clean vox). But he stands still. Stanne moves around and gets the crowd excited instead, which i suppose costs him in flawlessness. They have a different style on stage, so i don't know how easy it is to compare them. It depends on what someone expects out of a show, i guess. As far as i'm concerned, i like the charisma Stanne has on stage, it gets you more involved. In any case, it must be hard to find a balance between giving a better performance and keeping the crowd entertained.

ooo

hadn't noticed

LOOK IT'S DARK TRANQUILITY

/jumps up and down and points finger

When you're wrong it's probably best to just change the subject, instead of acting like a retard. You're the one who mentioned DT members not posting here, nobody asked you to marvel at the fact that they do. Now please either contribute or stop posting.

Well I cant argue with the fact that it is personal to everyone! And yes like I said I too think that Stanne is the best in giving a performance. I prefer Anders vocal but I prefer a Dt show hehe. And Arkerfeld is a great vocalist but does not move at all during a show.

Fuck you. I wasn't trolling. I gave my two cents already. I'm allowed to self-depreciate when I'm wrong. =)

Passive aggressive behavior (looking at you, kid) is what's retarded. I wasn't trying to bait anybody, so looks like you need to chill the fuck out.

This fucker is clearly retarted :lol:

Be nice to the retard!

Hehe.

Look Naglfar, this forum is small and beautiful and we try to keep it that way so we never post anything completely senseless or unnecessary posts. This rule applies to all forum members to the same amount.
We also use a lot of irony.

Hehe.

Look Naglfar, this forum is small and beautiful and we try to keep it that way so we never post anything completely senseless or unnecessary posts. This rule applies to all forum members to the same amount.
We also use a lot of irony.

See, if you say it that way, I'm all flowers and candy!

But it's not my fault if someone blows a gasket over a single moment of levity. It's one thing if I was posting crap all over the place for no reason, but just because some people are forum regulars, it doesn't give them the right to be a dick to people who post in x or y forum more casually.

Especially when I'm not breaking any rules (or being mean to anyone without being prompted). I WAS making fun of something substantive of which I was wrong about!

Especially when I'm not breaking any rules (or being mean to anyone without being prompted). I WAS making fun of something substantive of which I was wrong about!

It looked as if you were making fun of latent fanboyism, with your "look, DT members are posting!!!". Sorry if I misunderstood your intentions.

Let's try with a fresh start (but please, no series of fuck yous for a while).

It looked as if you were making fun of latent fanboyism, with your "look, DT members are posting!!!". Sorry if I misunderstood your intentions.

Let's try with a fresh start (but please, no series of fuck yous for a while).

haha, no, I was actually poking fun at myself. going to the DT forum to make fun of DT fanboys would be pretty epic trolling. it was driven more by happiness at the realization that they do, in fact, read the forum!

no prob with the fuck yous, i don't use them very often and i only post here occasionally, so i doubt it'll happen again anyway

*gives Naglfar a cookie*

@rahvin: hope the offer is valid for regulars. i can't wait for July. :p

I think you should make it clear that you are talking about the word "fuck", not the actual act, or aren't you?

as long as in flames plays nothing past clayman it would be awesome but IMO anders vocals sound like shit he needs to do the old songs with his old style

IT: it would be great but I feel like it'll never happen :cry:
in fact it would be good especially for In Flames. I don't dislike latest IF albums, but when you compare The Quiet Place to Dead Eternity it sounds to me like comparing shit to chocolate.
DT still makes very good music and, although I still prefer the Gallery style, newer songs are so good that I don't feel the loss.

OT: Dark idea chose a good In Flames performance.
It's 7 years that I growl now, and the fact is that Anders is no good in growling nor in clean vocals. He's awersome in mid vocals (half clean, half growl) and screaming, but there is no growl there. And his clean vocals are 90% something that sounds like "I have a dick up my ass and I'm suffering" or "you went on my foot with your car and it hurts" if you know what I mean.
Akerfeld has deep, intense growl, but lacks of variety, he can almost do only that kind of growl while his clean vocals are superb.
Stanne is maybe the only growler that archieves putting emotions in his style. He can vary his growling very much, although he surely lost part of his voice and I think he's no more able to sing the high pitched parts of the Gallery songs. His clean vocals are only in one tone, they are warm and intense, lowpitched.
But still, having to sing songs from those bands with my cover band, I can tell that I can sing Artifacts Of The Black Rain without any kind of difficulty, Opeth's Funeral Portrait is quite difficult for the multiple voice recorded but the voice itself isn't difficult to do, while Punish My Heaven's vocals... weew... they're hard as hell, that high pitched growl is very hard do to and make it sound decent.

P.S: sorry for my bad english, hope what I wrote is understandable :(

I thought about organising a similar tour to this.

If we got At The Gates to headline as their comeback tour, with DT and In Flames as equal supports, making it one Gothenburg night, it would help if In Flames were to play the older more Gothenburg tracks, rather than the newer more "American" metal they play these days.

That would be one awesome tour :p