What are some differences between DT and IF?

Arch

‫‬**‪‫‬**҉‫‬**‪‫‬**҉ ‫‬*
Oct 9, 2001
// -->
I noticed a lot of journalists and fans like to compare Dark Tranquillity and In Flames. I would like to know how these two bands sound musically different to you.

Let's consider In Flames' sound prior to Reroute to Remain for the sake of this thread.

just wanted to say that nowadays there isnt much in common between them... I also dont like In Flame's vocals so much nowadays and the new album wasnt a killer either, from the new In Flames stuff I just loved "Reroute To Remain". Hm about the older IF, what I can see as a difference are the vocals for sure (the first album doesnt count there ;) ) and I always prefered Mikaels singing anyway... Also the use of keyboard is more interesting in DT's music. What I really like in IF is specially at the beginning their acoustic and slightly folky touch in some songs (Everlost, Moonshield etc...), just godly!

DragonLady1 said:
just wanted to say that nowadays there isnt much in common between them... I also dont like In Flame's vocals so much nowadays and the new album wasnt a killer either, from the new In Flames stuff I just loved "Reroute To Remain". Hm about the older IF, what I can see as a difference are the vocals for sure (the first album doesnt count there ;) ) and I always prefered Mikaels singing anyway... Also the use of keyboard is more interesting in DT's music. What I really like in IF is specially at the beginning their acoustic and slightly folky touch in some songs (Everlost, Moonshield etc...), just godly!

+1

What can i add :

- In Flames is more powerfull (punchy) than DT (listen to Embody The Invisible for exemple)

Well, IF concentrates on good riffs, while the songs arent complex really, and DT concentrates on good songwriting, with a lot of different instruments and effects and all.. IF are quite straightforward, you either like them or you dont, but DT take a lot of time to get into. They may both be labeled Melodic Death Metal but they take a completely different approach to it

It's always difficult to compare. DT will always be my favourite music and when it comes to voices Stanne is the man.Anyway I like very much Friden.I first was struck by him when I heard him in the first DT demos and traced him to ...In Flames.I only have 'Soundtrack to your escape and 'Colony and I love'em. Songs like 'Jump sweet shadow, 'Bottled, 'Resin to name a few are knocking me off my socks.Hearing how you like their OLD albums is a good news to me, I'll soon buy them all.And yet there is similarity between the bands, I especially sense it some songs like 'Behind space'99

DragonLady1 said:
true, I first got into IF and really loved them and at first also prefered them to DT, but it quickly changed ;)
it was the same with me. It took a very long time to get me into DT but now i love 'em. but still IF are killer until Clayman.

the biggest difference are the vocals, IFs are just mediocre in my ear. not to say annoying.

Malaclypse said:
the biggest difference are the vocals, IFs are just mediocre in my ear. not to say annoying.
STANNE IS THE MAN, but please listen AGAIN to IF's RESIN and see if you won't have a change of heart

hm I still think that Whoracle and Jester Race are just killer albums by IF and I'm oke with Friden's growls but I'm not that much of a fan of his clean vocals, Mikael is just so much better when it comes to clean vocals (in the growls too imo). But to say IF has also some amazing guitar work!

Id say its mainly the vocals. Stanne is more deep and gutteral where Friden is more raspy and perhaps in away further towards the black metal side of things. You can also hear the swedish accent through fridens pronunciation especially on clayman.

the drums are less complicated in inflames. Its much more just keeping the beat. Their earlier stuff was a bit more challenging and I liked that but now its not a focus it would seem.

guitar wise, In flames just sound happier. They don't cut as deep as DT do with their guitar sound on any albums, and the riffs are no where near as progressive. They use similar scales (its just Eminor I think if you look at it in standard tuning) and it's all very swedish sounding, but DT do alot more chugging, like hitting bassier notes between the melodic notes so its constantly kicking out.

The electronics in DT are all over the place and doing interesting things all the time. in flames use the electronics much more as just keyboards I'd say.

Two songs you could compare between DT and in flames that I think are generally similar (same tempos same structures, same mood) are The Wonders at your Feet and Only For The Weak. The only differences really are the way its mixed, the drum arangements and the vocals noticeably.

as for the drums, i have to say that DTs tracks are not really bleeding edge, either. especially on older records it seems that if there weren't any ideas, they just put blast beats in there. but that fits to IF as well. DTs new stuff is far better, though, drum-wise.

I'd say that the biggest differenc, would definatly have to be the use of leads in the two bands. In the early In Flames albums they used leads and solos to the fullest, providing rich tones and excelent solos. I can't really hear it that much in the Dark Tranquillity songs. Of course now it's a different story.

I stopped listening to IF after Whoracle, so I cant really judge or compare these 2 bands. I love the early IF stuff and I love the DT stuff. So, that makes it one word, hows that for a difference?

hello, as you can tell from my name, i came here to flipoff the band, cause they suck big time, this forum looks like the fucking CNN homepage, by the way congatulatios, you have one of the many mediocre, second hand scandinavian band, you must be so proud, and i mean like wow, you get to cpoy every note in flames does, congratulations that's a big step forward for you...NOT
geez ppl, get some fucking music lessons, start playing the acordeon or something, what you're doing right now is sonic polution :yell:
i dunno, maybe you should stop "palying music" and start pole smoking....you bunch of fucking faggots..

tiamat_kiks_asz said:
hello, as you can tell from my name, i came here to flipoff the band,

yes, liking tiamat and using kiddies' internet lingo is the universal sign for "i came here to flip off the band". classical music directors use it all the time to piss each other off.

In Flames vs.DT

okay the main difference IMO is how they do their music. In Flames sound comes from the stomach and DT is from the heart.
IF is more simple on the first listening but there is a lot of hidden their wall of sound .
DT is more complicated and you feel more the melancholy in their music.
IF makes me jump into a moshpit and DT makes me bang my head and suck the music into my brain.