If I get one Darkthrone album...

Chimaera

Oct 28, 2009
Scotland
...which should I get? I'm fairly new to black metal and I was thinking of buying Transylvanian Hunger but I thought I should probably ask someone who knows more about them. So what is the one essential Darkthrone album?

Also, what would be some good black metal albums to start off with?

Transylvanian Hunger is a good album...you might also want to check out Under A Funeral Moon as well as A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

Also, you could check out the sticky at the top of the Band Recs forum for essential Black Metal. There are far too many bands that fall under the genre and if you are looking for something in specific I.E. Melodic BM or "Raw" BM that would be a great place to start. Also if you have a certain Black Metal song that you like or an album you can post that and we will have more to go off of and will be able to recommend some similar music.

Transylvanian Hunger is a good album...you might also want to check out Under A Funeral Moon as well as A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

Also, you could check out the sticky at the top of the Band Recs forum for essential Black Metal. There are far too many bands that fall under the genre and if you are looking for something in specific I.E. Melodic BM or "Raw" BM that would be a great place to start. Also if you have a certain Black Metal song that you like or an album you can post that and we will have more to go off of and will be able to recommend some similar music.

Thanks very much.

Soulside Journey, their first album... is a very unsettling death metal album...

It's definitely worth checking out if you're interested in darkthrone... probably not as much though if you're just interested in black metal.

I would in all seriousness do yourself a huge favor and just pick up A Blaze In The Northern Sky, Under A Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger. They are all essential and amazing in their own way.

I would in all seriousness do yourself a huge favor and just pick up A Blaze In The Northern Sky, Under A Funeral Moon and Transilvanian Hunger. They are all essential and amazing in their own way.

I would but I'm trying to save money at the moment. I probably won't be buying any of them anytime soon. I was just trying to find out which album would be the best when I actually come round to buying it. Thanks for the recs though. I'll bear them in mind.

Soulside Journey, their first album... is a very unsettling death metal album...

It's definitely worth checking out if you're interested in darkthrone... probably not as much though if you're just interested in black metal.

I was looking for their black metal stuff but if it's a decent death metal album I'll look into it.

Frostland Tapes

or...you know...any of the classic three OR Panzerfaust because for some reason it doesn't get as much love (why not make it the classic four?)

If you are just getting into Black Metal I say look no further than the great gateway album of De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas by Mayhem..and really I do it no justice by calling it a gateway album because it's still so good after all these years!

As far as Darkthrone goes, I still think that A Blaze in the Northern Sky was their best out of the classic 3. But like everyone else said, they are all good so don't settle for one

failure_of_poster

+1

You might also want to check out early Immortal, Early Behemoth and Carpathian Forest for some other good "essential" Black Metal recs. Once you decide what you like/dislike we will have an easier time helping you find similar music.

Dark Funeral starts to grow old after a couple songs for me for some reason, I have their entire disco as well as Darkthrone. Dark Funeral's songs all seem sound relatively similar minus some tempo changes and riffs. Their lyrical focus never really changes and they are meh to me compared to Darkthrone. I have seen Dark Funeral in concert and they do play a good show and by no means am I discrediting their music because I do enjoy them but only in short bursts where as I can throw on a Darkthrone album and just let it repeat. Darkthrone was a very influential band early on and to this day still plays great stuff and has since spawned many Darkthrone "clones". You've really got to hear more of a bands work before passing judgement or comparing it to another band that you know pretty well.