If Mort Divine ruled the world

Well even a big percentage (say, 1/3 or 1/4) wouldn't mean you have any reason to make the statement you did. I'm not trying to be a dick, but I am trying to keep you from being a HBB.

I rank lower than a SentinelSlain now? :(((((((

Reactions: The Butt
What I said originally may have been an overstatement or oversimplification but I still think a big percentage of them belonging to that group would have huge consequences. There is a paper by Raymond Moody that seems to point towards stereotypes about Asians being matched by differences in average MBTI type.

Test-retest reliability on MBTI is low, so I wouldn't put much stock in it. That said, it's reasonable to expect that there is a general trend in personality type groupings amongst a given ethnicity. But you can't turn that into a normative statement.

I rank lower than a SentinelSlain now? :(((((((

I didn't know we were in a hierarchy :p

I know of the two Walmart supercenters in my town, the one on the outskirts is *more* frequented by college students and middle class families than the older one in a more central location. The newer one is also more up to date looking because obv it is newer. But I never noticed a lack of stocking issue. The parking lot is dirtier but maybe that's got more to do with clientele and age than Walmart skimping on anything. There's a reciprocal relationship between people and environment. If cleaning things up costs too much (for any number of reasons - including rapid re-trashing) and/or has no real effect on profit (some people don't care as much about a place being trashed), things are bound to go downhill. Trash doesn't just happen to people.

Walmart stores situated in low-income communities of color consistently get lower Yelp scores than those situated in wealthier, whiter communities. Moreover, when I conduct a similar analysis but work to untangle race from SES (by studying the impact of each controlling for the other), I find that race is more strongly related to low ratings than class. Figure 3 shows the relationship between race and ratings after controlling for income (and the relationship between income and ratings after controlling for race). The higher the percentage of Black or Latino residents in a zip code, the worse Walmart service becomes, regardless of whether this zip code is poor or wealthy.

The single word most highly correlated with reviews of Walmarts in communities of color is “ghetto.”

HMMMMMMMMMM.

Anyways, putting aside the politically incorrect possibility that they have correlation and causation backwards, one obvious and potential issue with this study is that they seem to assume that the same economic demographics fall out proportionately in various zip codes of different affluence. For example, it is well known that Washington DC is a bit of a shithole, but it obviously has some incredibly wealthy pockets. It's not impossible that poor people of color have to live and/or shop in overall more expensive zip codes, but that they disproportionately choose to shop at Walmart, whereas actual middle/upper-class people pick Whole Foods instead. They don't consider other supermarkets at all in their study, which is a big problem if they're going to assume this is Walmart's management decision rather than a management decision made by all supermarkets, or perhaps not a matter of management at all but rather population.

Reactions: CiG and Dak
I thought it was funny that this is what a graduate student spent his research on, at Columbia of all places. But I guess it's still controversial that wealthy areas have a better quality of life?

But that's sociology for ya.

Reactions: CiG and Dak
I'm still hearing about "food deserts" even though last I heard, increased availability didn't lead to changes in purchasing habits. There's more to poor (or good) health habits than having a new Whole Foods around.

At least that's a cause I think has some good involved, I see no functionality out of this report except another bullshit tirade against Walmart

Just got back from school to find that my Hispanic neighbor, who had a Greenpeace sticker placed on top of the Ford logo of his hybrid Explorer until recently, now has a Trump/Pence sign in his front yard. Not sure if he's crazy, a miffed Bernie fan, did a political 180, or is a representation of Trump's broad anti-establishment support.

Reactions: CiG
So, I have thoughts and feelings on this, and I obviously see the irony that commentators are pointing out. But I have to say that I think all of this hullabaloo about it being "segregation" is very, very misleading and entirely politically motivated.

It isn't segregation - segregation was a legal and institutional policy that mandated the separation of blacks. This is not the same thing at all. This is an optional space in which black students can choose to live as a community. Many universities already do this for various programs within the school, as well as for overseas students. Furthermore, fraternities have functioned in basically this way since their conception: there are black fraternities, Jewish fraternities... these are identity-based communities, but they don't mandate segregation.

As I think I've made clear before, identity politics troubles me in a metaphysical sense. Most models of identity fall back on a metaphysics of selfhood that I see as primarily ideological in nature - stemming, ironically, from the values of liberal humanism and the legal/philosophical foundations of industrial capitalism.

So, I have thoughts and feelings on this, and I obviously see the irony that commentators are pointing out. But I have to say that I think all of this hullabaloo about it being "segregation" is very, very misleading and entirely politically motivated.

It isn't segregation - segregation was a legal and institutional policy that mandated the separation of blacks. This is not the same thing at all. This is an optional space in which black students can choose to live as a community. Many universities already do this for various programs within the school, as well as for overseas students. Furthermore, fraternities have functioned in basically this way since their conception: there are black fraternities, Jewish fraternities... these are identity-based communities, but they don't mandate segregation.

As I think I've made clear before, identity politics troubles me in a metaphysical sense. Most models of identity fall back on a metaphysics of selfhood that I see as primarily ideological in nature - stemming, ironically, from the values of liberal humanism and the legal/philosophical foundations of industrial capitalism.

Actually I agree and I'm just having fun with the irony you mentioned. "Separate but equal" etc.

The only thing that I find creepy about it was the reasoning behind it, the whole "we want a black safespace away from whites on campus" mentality. I don't see it as a positive way forward with race relations at all.

Yeah, I understand the creepiness, so to speak. Lots of universities already have black student bodies, black student unions, etc. I suppose dormitories are just another step; but the reasoning behind it should ruffle some feathers.

For what it's worth, in my experience blacks tend to be woefully underrepresented at universities. Obviously this depends on the strata of university: for example, my undergraduate institution (U of South Florida) had noticeably more black students than where I'm currently doing my graduate work (Boston U). I don't know much about the demographics at Cal State, but if we're talking about schools that tend to be more exclusive - BU, for instance - I can actually see the usefulness in having designated communities for black students, especially for students entering the university from areas where they perhaps have enjoyed a more cohesive and homogeneous community dynamic.

This carries the caveat, of course, that such university communities should direct themselves toward and participate in interactive, university-wide programs and groups. In other words, they should serve the purpose of acclimation, not isolation. I don't think that universities should preserve the exclusivity of identity-based communities, but I can see the purpose of such communities in helping students work toward feeling more comfortable in broader social settings.

I expect there's always the argument that "There aren't any safe spaces in the real world!" or some such rejoinder. My response to that is that no, there aren't; but I think that education isn't entirely about private knowledge, it's about social interaction. And that doesn't just mean throwing students into the fray wholesale. I think educational institutions have a limited responsibility to assist students that need assisting. Again, this doesn't mean simply providing spaces to which they can retreat permanently.