If Still Life was remixed...

I find the mix to be muddy a bit in a few places throughout the album, but it's not like it's so bad that they need to re-record it again.

Opeth aren't really the kind of band that would be pretentious enough to re-record an entire album anyway.

Vocals sound a little 'muddy' too (think Nile's Black seeds of Vengance for a referance).

But saying No album has had the same 'punchy' bass like GR. SL is possably in the most dire need for it (that includes orchids and morningrise). Personaly i'd like to hear bass drums brought up much higher in the mix than they have been on any album. Unless that would make them sound like a metalcore band :tickled:

I say give Jens the job, I'd very much like to hear how he'd improve the sound. What he did on GR was fantastic. I don't like the production of Still Life very much, it sounds somewhat messy and thin... I don't know how to put it in words better than that.

I say the album is perfect the way it is! :D

I mean seriously, I know it has some flaws here and there... But they also contribute to the overall atmosphere... And I think it is only good for a band to change the approach to production, like Opeth.

And frankly, after all these years the Mike/Jens combo seems to be the best choice!

I really would prefer if they just fixed the mastering errors somehow (if necessary by just replaying those parts exactly) and leave it at that.

Some sparkly production would be nice. A little more crispness and it would be the perfect album, hands down.

I would not expect any Opeth record to be "Re-done" in any way other than perhaps a 5.1 mix, simply because it's a different listening experience of the same record. I always consider a record as just that... a "Record" of the time period... where the band was...musically, in popularity, etc. including all the fun and problems with the making of said record.. all of which ultimately spiral back to the fan and where they were in life when they were first listening to it themselves. Re-doing the record sort of seems like historical revisionism to me. I say take the experience of trial and error and use it to make better and better records of the bands progress.... as Opeth have done.

My 2 cents.

Out.:devil:

^^^ That's a fair enough point, and I can see why you would think that way. But for me, I feel 're-doing' it would be good. Every time I hear those songs... I wish they had been treated better. I guess I'm just not the nostalgic type...

Ok, that's a lie, must be something else. :lol:

But the Still Life production isn't really that bad is it? Apart from those mastering fuckups it sounds good. I only like re-masters when the original material is of such terrible sound quality that it's just not any fun to listen to. For example the early Metallica albums. Those could really do with a remaster and I wouldn't feel nostalgic about the old sound at all. Megadeth did it with their backcatalog and from what I heard they didn't ruin the material or anything (though I haven't listened to the remasters yet myself).

But with Opeth... none of the albums really need one in my opinion. None of the albums sound so bad that they are unlistenable. So in that case I say leave them as is.

I say they take out every instrument in Godhead's Lament except Mike's voice for a little a capella death...

No, but seriously, I think the album could be cleaned up a little bit, I think the bass drum sounds a little drowned out at times when all the other instruments are going full steam. So if they could turn that up a smidge it would be cool.