I'm gonna get flamed for this, but....

Vienyard

Arrogant Dickhead
Sep 5, 2002
St. Paul, MN
www.epicureanmetal.com
...I think Opeth's pretty overrated.

Dont get me wrong, theyre a damn good band, but jesus christ, they are not the second coming of (insert and insanely influential band of your choice here _____)!!

Their mix of melody and brutality is very well done, however, its really not all that groundbreaking I think. Plenty of others have done it before them. It definetly is very interesting prog-esque death metal, but...its just not as brilliant to me as it is to seemingly everyone else.

I've seen them live, own 3 of their albums, seen and heard a few bootlegs...and I still dont get it. My favorite album by them is by far Orchid. The subsequent releases I like progressively less than their first one. I think the first one is far superior, and the rest are just more of the same formula. With that said however, I am anticipating the Damnation record. That should be an interesting listen.

Anyway, why are they perceived as so top notch/godly/etc? What am I missing?

I think it's the way they can play several different genres at such a high standard, and can mix them so effectively within the same song.

Also, I love their lyrics, especially the ones on My Arms Your Hearse.
I think Mikael has an brilliant growl, and very good clean vocals. There's plenty of great, heavy riffs, on songs such as Demon of the Fall or The Leper Affinity.
Plenty of beautiful mellow bits, such as the middle section of A Fair Judgement, or To Bid You Farewell, or Credence.
Also, every album is very different. This variation stops people from getting bored of the band, and the variation within songs gives them even more replay value.
I like the band members, from what I've seen/heard/read. Intelligent, friendly people. That has to be worth something.

Those are just a few reasons.

I think that they are incredible, but many fans put them on too a high a pedestal as far as I'm concerned. They are usually in my top 10 favorite bands, but never at the top.

I only have one band that I place as King Under The Mountain, and that is Tool. Funny because many Opeth fans find Tool overrated. :D

Originally posted by Vienyard
Anyway, why are they perceived as so top notch/godly/etc?

Every band has their devout fans. Opeth's devout fans just happen to be very immature and egotistical, so they constantly praise the band with blind devotion. Also, reviewers are afraid to give Opeth bad reviews, adding fuel to the myth that Opeth are the second coming of extreme music.

What am I missing?

Like MacMoney said, nothing. Your seeing Opeth for what they are- a decent metal band.

I wouldn't say I was devout, immature or egotistical, but I still find Opeth to be the best metal band I've heard. Although the latest album, Deliverance, was a slight disappointment for me, I still find it to be a better album than any other I own. I guess it's just a case of 'to each, their own'... oh, and by the way, I adore Tool too! :)

How many threads do we have to have of this kind? Musical taste is opinion. I think Opeth are the most amazing band to grace this earth. Are they the most progressive, heavy, technical, et cetera? Nope. I find their compositions absolutly beautiful, guitar work orgasmic, and vocals the best I've heard.

Overall, they're definately my favorite band. So far they've put out 6 of my favorite albums. I don't think a bit of their material is bad or even mediocre.

Dreamlord said:
Every band has their devout fans. Opeth's devout fans just happen to be very immature and egotistical, so they constantly praise the band with blind devotion. Also, reviewers are afraid to give Opeth bad reviews, adding fuel to the myth that Opeth are the second coming of extreme music.

Like MacMoney said, nothing. Your seeing Opeth for what they are- a decent metal band.
support this and maybe I won't burn you upon a stake. :devil:

Opeth is absolutely amazing... I don't care how overrated they are, or how it's all been done before, etc... they're just my personal favourite band! It's all opinion! Morningrise influenced me musically and even as a human being! No other album has done that for me except for Katatonia's Brave Murder Day... so stick that in your pipe in smoke it!

They are overrated in the sense that a lot of their fans view them as gods of some sort but they are by far in my top 3 favs. They have the ability to mix brutality with the beauatiful, if u will. And they do it with flying colors.

:err:

ColdKingdom45 said:
support this and maybe I won't burn you upon a stake. :devil:

"If they need an explanation then they will never get it"

"If they can't figure it out on their own, they don't need to know."

" Fuck that shit, Fuck faggots that don't like them, or say they suck, cause people like them. Fuck that shit. I don't care if a band gets popular, just if they get popular on THEIR music, which seems to be the mother fucking case. Those fuckers should look at the packaging on the fucking Deliverance cd, yeah, it says "Metal's Most Brilliant Band" and thats the fucking BOTTEM LINE GOD DAMN IT! YEAH, FUCK THEM GOD DAMN IT"

"Not only will some people think its cool to hate it, we'll get an influx of stupid fans who don't really get it. Look how many retarded fanbases there are out there already. Ugh."

Those were taken from the below thread. Maybe these people should look a little closer to home.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=77349

Dreamlord said:
"If they need an explanation then they will never get it"

"If they can't figure it out on their own, they don't need to know."

" Fuck that shit, Fuck faggots that don't like them, or say they suck, cause people like them. Fuck that shit. I don't care if a band gets popular, just if they get popular on THEIR music, which seems to be the mother fucking case. Those fuckers should look at the packaging on the fucking Deliverance cd, yeah, it says "Metal's Most Brilliant Band" and thats the fucking BOTTEM LINE GOD DAMN IT! YEAH, FUCK THEM GOD DAMN IT"

"Not only will some people think its cool to hate it, we'll get an influx of stupid fans who don't really get it. Look how many retarded fanbases there are out there already. Ugh."

Those were taken from the below thread. Maybe these people should look a little closer to home.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=77349

yes, since opeth is the ONLY BAND ON GOD'S EARTH who has their share of retarded fans... and also, nevermind the fact that this same discussion has been had by any band who has achieved admirable success, regardless of talent, quality, etc. a band really can't be overrated -- they're being "rated" by the fans; if a fan loves the band, then that's the opinion you're getting, done deal. to be overrated, there would have to be an absolute standard, which does not exist. sorry to wax philosophical here, it just doesn't make any sense for a band to be overrated; a lot of people really like Opeth, a lot of people (like myself) think they are the best band living, and a lot of people could give two shits... somebody already said it best, to each his own.

TheBigJones47 said:
yes, since opeth is the ONLY BAND ON GOD'S EARTH who has their share of retarded fans... and also, nevermind the fact that this same discussion has been had by any band who has achieved admirable success, regardless of talent, quality, etc.
Funny thing is every reply on that thread thus far is a fine example of what you call "retarded". If every band has it's share of fans like this, Opeth is certainly in a remarkable position by having such a high and absolute ratio of "retarded fans" as you put it.

Every post on that thread is retarded because the only people who reply to threads like that are the fanboy types. The best fans are the ones who enjoy the music, not the myth of "omg look at me im underground and I like prog metal!" Yes, I'll admit, Opeth is my personal favorite band. The music that they write is very pleasing to me, and that's all that matters. If someone else doesn't enjoy it, that's cool too, I'm sure we have many other bands in common we both love. So, yeah, not all Opeth fans are idiots, though I'm embarassed to say that we have far too many.