I'm gonna get flamed for this, but....

erik@digitalmetal said:
i actaully kind of agree, if you own one opeth album you own them all, i llost interest after my arms your hearse, and even tho I own all teh newer ones i never listen to then-ive spun deliverance maybe 5 times since i got it, but it will win album of the year all over the place.

Hm. Personally, I think that every Opeth album is hugely different, which is one of the reasons they're so great. Every song is very different too.

I can't believe most of you. Opeth is the greatest band of all time, and anyone who can't see that... IS STUPID!

Opeth saved me many tiems in my life. From listening to bad nu-metal musick, to times when I've been depressed. They are THE SHIT!!!!

Turd Ferguson said:
I can't believe most of you. Opeth is the greatest band of all time, and anyone who can't see that... IS STUPID!

Opeth saved me many tiems in my life. From listening to bad nu-metal musick, to times when I've been depressed. They are THE SHIT!!!!

It's fanboys like this that give intelligent Opeth fans a bad wrap.

Vienyard said:
...I think Opeth's pretty overrated.

Dont get me wrong, theyre a damn good band, but jesus christ, they are not the second coming of (insert and insanely influential band of your choice here _____)!!

Their mix of melody and brutality is very well done, however, its really not all that groundbreaking I think. Plenty of others have done it before them. It definetly is very interesting prog-esque death metal, but...its just not as brilliant to me as it is to seemingly everyone else.

I've seen them live, own 3 of their albums, seen and heard a few bootlegs...and I still dont get it. My favorite album by them is by far Orchid. The subsequent releases I like progressively less than their first one. I think the first one is far superior, and the rest are just more of the same formula. With that said however, I am anticipating the Damnation record. That should be an interesting listen.

Anyway, why are they perceived as so top notch/godly/etc? What am I missing?

Well, if you think they're overrated that's your opinion. I don't see why anyone would flame you for that...My two favorite bands are the two bands that ALWAYS get accused of being overrated, Opeth and Tool. Doesn't bother me because I still love them and if you don't that's your business! But on the topic of overrated I will list some bands that I think are. Nile, I've tried to get into them many times and they just do nothing for me..Along with Cradle Of Filth, Epicurean(j/k, that was directed at you Vien!) and many others! You like what you like and if you think a band is overrated..Don't listen.

*Rescues amusing thread*

Not the most intelligent post I've ever seen. Instead of insulting those who dislike the band, try explaining to them why you enjoy their music so much. Such compliments as 'They are THE SHIT!!!!' are unlikely to influence anybody...

It's fanboys like this that give intelligent Opeth fans a bad wrap.

Those Opeth fans who are intelligent, don't really care how they are percieved by others. Anybody who has stereotypical views like these 'Opeth Fanboy' haters, isn't worth listening to.

Why don't we move this awesome thread over to the Opeth forum?

Because we don't want the intelligence levels in this thread to rise too high now, do we? ;)

I think they are a very good band,they have very good melodies and all,but considering every album a milestone of metal is a bit too much.

I think Opeth is a great band. They are the Pink Floyd of metal. They bring something to the table that other metal bands don't. They aren't afraid to be differnt. I like how they incorporate elements of the 70s sound into their music.