i'm gonna learn to play the drums.

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
i've ALWAYS wanted to learn to play the drums... i always played air drums along with music instead of air guitar and i think a lot about drum rhythms and shit when i listen to music, so i think i was actually made to be a drummer more than i was a guitarist (little known fact: when nasheim formed in 2001, i was the drummer) but it always seemed really expensive and difficult (as in it's tough to practice on an acoustic kit when you live in an apartment) but i've decided that drum machines are fucking BORING so i'm gonna learn now because if i want longer than this (i'm getting old man!) it might never happen. gonna get me a yamaha DTXPLORER kit (electronic) to learn on, but obviously when/if i ever record myself drumming it's gonna be on a real acoustic kit, but i don't feel the need to buy one for myself because it would be useless to me without anywhere to rehearse.

dtx%20001.jpg

wish me luck. this is gonna rokk. :kickass: anyone have any good tips for how to learn to be an ass kickin' drummer?

Derek Roddy's "How to become an ass kickin' drummer" video series is quite popular in DM circles, but I have a feeling that you don't want to learn brutal DM drumming (the videos cover the basics too, though, so it wouldn't hurt to check it out).

Edit:
Erik said:
i've ALWAYS wanted to learn to play the drums... i always played air drums along with music instead of air guitar and i think a lot about drum rhythms and shit when i listen to music, so i think i was actually made to be a drummer more than i was a guitarist

Ditto btw, I always air/knee drum when listening to music

brutal dm drumming is kinda boring, my favourite drummers that make me go "i wish i could do that" include carl-michael eide (in ved buens ende), the guy in helheim, adrian erlandsson on the first two at the gates, kvitrafn (in bak de syv fjell) etc

but thanx i might check it out

General Zod said:
Fixed:

db.JPG

Zod

P.S. - I'm so good at the Paintshop
:lol: actually the plan is to learn single pedal first because the drumset actually comes with a single pedal in the package and i dont feel like putting another $200 (at least) towards a double pedal at this point. later

I really want one of those drum kits as well. It'd be great to just plug in headphones and nobody would know you were doing much at all. I also think they sound very close to a real kit. Close enough to use on demo recordings for sure.

General Zod said:
The snair sounds pretty good. The bass drum sounds a bit electronic. But that could also be the quality of the sound file.

Zod
yeah there's like 30 different drum kit sounds in the thing though so you can change the samples to other ones

but no i don't intend to record this at all

Doomcifer said:
Good luck brotha!!! I would fucking love to play drums. Anyways, yeah....I hope you stick to your decision to only record on acoustic. :)
well for anything that's not a rough demo anyway. otherwise, i would just be exchanging a really tight drum machine for an untight and slow one

unhinged said:
Erik
I have the dtxpressII
I gotta go out now but I'll give you some of the pros and cons later
I may ramble a bit and need to haave a drink
cool, i said "dtxpress" but i actually meant "dtxplorer" which is their cheapest, basically a cheaper version of the dtxpress i guess

good for you dude ... I always wanted to as well ... hence my fascination with drummers.
I would still really want to ... not to be in a band or anything the like, just for kicks and stress relief.

what does that kit run for?

lol at zod's picture, a double goes to the left next to the hihat, and the beaters are basically connected:p

also to Erik, have fun with drums, I'm the same way with drums as you described, but I live in a housing system where several houses are in a row so it would be too noisy to have one.

very cool. I wanted to play drums and had to quit because the neighbors began calling the cops a lot. Every time I played actually. and the kit I used was fucking awesome super cool. :cry:

and Erik, I would try to at least practice on an acoustic set every now and then because the dynamics between the two are a bit different. you can still learn on the electric kit, but you know, different feel.