Im looking for similar bands to Skyfire

zycon

New Metal Member
Nov 22, 2006
I am freaken amazed by these guys and have listened to all there albums (all awesome) but does anyone know of bands that have the same sound and scream vocals? I like to consider them melodic neo-classical metal btw.

Mors Principium Est is a good recommendation too: I personally like Unborn and Inhumanity, in that order.

Oh yeah, and also Insomnium - Above the Weeping World. Good stuff!

Kalmah, Blood Stain Child(older), Catamenia, Evemaster, Archeon, The Funeral Pyre, Shadow, Throne Of Chaos

some are better than others, but all are good IMO

I think you would like the album "Perspective" by Jason Becker. It doesn't really sound anything like Skyfire but it has the same amazing sense of melody that the other bands mentioned in this thread, in my opinion, do not (at least those I've heard...).

Here's a crazy thought: video game music. Check out The Black Mages:
(mp3's of first album, direct download): http://bluelaguna.net/music/bm/mp3s.php
(Youtube video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5st0b3ln5U

I have difficulty drawing comparisons between Skyfire and the whole collection of Finnish screamy power metally sorts of bands (Children of Bodom etc) because none of them are half as progressive, and I think a major part of Skyfire's sound is that sort of epic, bombastic quality that can only come as a result of playing like 20 melodies at once, where Kalmah, Wintersun, whatever, have more of a traditional rhythm and lead setup (not that there's anything wrong with that).

And, come to think of it, you can find that in classical music, but I'm by no means an expert on that. I can recommend Sergei Prokofiev, but it's a mixed bag of stuff, not just epic dramatic stuff. Charles Ives' stuff is pretty bombastic, but in that old school horror movie sort of way - good, but not for this thread.

I HIGHLY recommend the Japanese black (sometimes) metal band Sigh. Try their most recent, "Hangman's Hymn." And then try all the rest of their stuff too.

If you want somthing that is a parallel to SKYFIRE,then try Children of Bodom..deffinately (FOLLOW THE REAPER!! and HATEBREEDER!! albums) follow the reaper actualy sounds similar to SPECTRAL but spectral is better in my opinion,its got more of a BLACK METAL edge, NORTHER...meh kinda boring but they are basicaly a crap skyfire..SKYFIRE succeed in everyway that norther fail,but there best album is DEATH UNLIMITED,its the best thing they have ever done along with songs from the mirror of madness album~BETRAYED~BLACKHEARTED,and there first album dreams of endless war,i will tell you who i think sounds alot like TIMELESS DEPARTURE era SKYFIRE...THYRFING they are a swedish viking metal band which also tourd with SKYFIRE (start with the VALDR GALGA album) and there self titled album...listen to the ravens eyes song on that album and tell me it dosn't sound a little bit like early SKYFIRE,but definatly valdr galga as it is a CLASSIC! and it sounds like it had a big influance on timeless departure which is AWSOME!!!,:headbang: :kickass:

it's true. the kokko brothers are better riff writers and they come up with stronger melodies. take nothing away from skyfire, though.

go listen to swampsong or they will return by kalmah and get back to me.