I'm movin' to Adelaide!

Welcome back?

If you get so bored that you turn on your radio on a Saturday night, I'll be playing a few metal trax (among other things) between the hours of 10-11pm on Three D Radio starting June 17th. It wont strictly be a metal show but when I do play a metal track it will be oldschool... If you want a strictly metal show, you'll need to listen to Powersurge on Sunday nights, same station;)

Thanks for the tip, Priest. Now I just have to remember to tune in!

I've found Powersurge unlistenable ever since Lewi Young stopped hosting it. Too much growl-growl-screech-screech crap at the expense of what I consider proper metal.

W

Music overall, or just the vocals? I loved the music and couldn't get into the vocals in extreme metal for a while, but when you get your head around the need for dirty vocals to fit with the imagery and the ideas that you like, it all makes sense, and you dig it.

I can't get into either the music or vocals. I have trouble telling different exteme bands apart, let alone songs because to my old school and increasingly hairy ears, they all sound identical.

What really yanks my chain lately is the stuff I think you'd call "melodic death", that ruins great sounding trad riffs by combining them with cookie monster vox. A lot of not-necessarily-death bands seem to do this nowadays, which is why I can't listen to Children Of Bodom or recent Testament to name but two. It's all a matter of taste though. If people can get into it, more power to them.

Have a look at http://tabula-rasa.info/Horror/Splattersonic.html when you get a chance. I found it a very interesting read even though I'm not a fan of the genre(s).

W

Does look interesting, I might read when I have nothing better to do, it's bloody long!

Before I could get into anything extreme, I still really liked listening to some Cradle Of Filth and Dimmu Borgir because of the awesome atmospheric keys. That was the drawcard for me early on, I just got used to the vocals. Dimmu have decent dirty vocals anyway (Cradle on the other hand...).
I just think of it this way...the music is meant to sound dark, and if it was accompanied by a wailer or more classically trained singer, it wouldn't achieve as dark a mood about it. Like why Jon sings Stormrider rather than Greely/Barlow/whoever. Sometimes it is the only way to express an idea properly musically.

Some melodic death bands do have trad style music, like earlier In Flames for one. If I got into them earlier on I am sure they would have been another drawcard for me to get into more extreme stuff. Awesome music, decent vocals. Most are still pretty thrashy and full on though.

Took me a while to get into the voxx as well.

Type O Negative I think certainly helped it along, as did CoF.

Biggest turning point for me was definitely Burzum's song DET SOM EN GANG VAR.

I still haven't really cotton'd on to growl vocals yet (apart from a few stunning examples - Aaron Stainthorpe for instance), but screeches are brilliant to me. Current best screecher I'd say is Grutle from Enslaved.