I'm officially a Mac user!!! :-D

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
Well it finally arrived dudes. My 2.3GHZ dual core Power Mac G5 is up and running. Thanks to the advice of you guys I bought this machine. It was a breeze to set up (being my first Mac even) and I'm loving it already. I should have made the switch a long time ago.

Also, question dudes...Since Apple is making the switch to Intel processors, will our machines become obsolete soon?? Or is Apple accomodating to our needs...Thanks!!

-Joe

J.DavisNJ said:
Also, question dudes...Since Apple is making the switch to Intel processors, will our machines become obsolete soon?? Or is Apple accomodating to our needs...Thanks!!

-Joe

To answer your question more specifically - NO, your machine will not be obsolete anytime soon. PowerPC chips will be supported indefinitely by Apple and all of the software manufacturers, and the pro line (G5s, PowerBooks) will be the last machines to switch to Intel. Apple will introduce Intel chips in the entry level iBooks and Mac Minis first - since Apple's core apps are already natively compiled for Intel, and any PowerPC apps will run in Rosetta emulation mode, which will yield about 75% of the performance of a comparable PowerPC chip - in other words, good enough for the end user, but not the professional user.

I think it will take at least 2 years before any studios will be running Intel-based Macs, and those will be the early adopters, running the earliest builds of Pro Tools, DP, Logic, etc. for Intel Macs (with only a few native compiled plug-ins available at first.) PowerPC chips are likely to be fully supported for another 10 years, by which point you will most likely be running an Intel-based Mac anyway. :)

Oh yeah, and enjoy your higher plug-in counts: :)

audio20050427.jpg

I've been getting quite a bit more serious about investing in a Powerbook G4 lately, but I'm a bit apprehensive for the go ahead till these Intel chips come out. Is it a wise idea to wait for them? Might as well?

I hear that the Intel chips are going to start to be intruduced sometime in January, as the rumor goes. I dont have a too serious time frame, and have no problems with waiting till then.

Go ahead and get a Powerbook now! The Intel chips probably won't be put in a Powerbook in January anyway. Also, there might be kinks to work out with the Intel chips. I just got my Powerbook in June and i love it. They have updated it slightly since then, but it is still a great machine. Just my .02

congrats... now get DP and i'll send you a pdf of my tips and shortcuts.

Brooks, Blacketst eyes.. you guys should read Kazrog's post above.

James Murphy said:
congrats... now get DP and i'll send you a pdf of my tips and shortcuts.

Brooks, Blacketst eyes.. you guys should read Kazrog's post above.
I did read the post. I was just saying to go ahead and buy a Powerbook. Eh...maybe i missed something:erk:

Well what I still haven't understood (as it hasn't been explained to me) is the pros and cons of the Intel chips themselves. What is the big hullabaloo about? Will having Intel chips inside the Mac system allow for better communication between PC files? Will it be faster/more dependable? If the software stays the same and the hardware changes, what is actually going to be noticable?

I'm not the biggest computer techie geek in the world, and as long as I get my work done, miniscule changes in hardware architechture is pretty moot to me. What are the most major benefits/drawbacks going to be about this switch?

Remember, I'm a lay person! cuz i like to get laid ;)

James Murphy said:
maybe, maybe... it won't stand for long, even if it's true.. which i doubt really... i'd still bet the current mac dual cores against the new AMD ones.... the mac ones don't have to slough throug Windblowz.

I don't know, many users are running the OS X development kit on their PC's and getting higher benchmarks than the G5's they also own...

SPLASTiK said:
I don't know, many users are running the OS X development kit on their PC's and getting higher benchmarks than the G5's they also own...
then they own first gen G5's.,and probably single processor... period. wonder if you'd care to back up that "many users" statement and quantify exactly what G5's all of them owned and were outperforming with the AMD emulating osx. this kind of nonsense irritates me and here's why: even if it's true... THS WEEK.. doesn't mean it will be true next week, and Macs are just more elegant machines with better integration and stability beetween all the components.. always have been, always will be.. much like the Mac OS has ALWAYS been more powerful and graceful than Windblowz. my buddy ryan has built three PC's with AMD processors... all of them sit unused now as he enjoys his new Powerbook G4 single processor 1.67. the AMD's were faster than this single processor G4... when they worked.

i question the integrity and objectivity of the tests... full stop.

look here for info on why Apple chose Intel over AMD.

James Murphy said:
wonder if you'd care to back up that "many users" statement and quantify exactly what G5's all of them owned and were outperforming with the AMD emulating osx. this kind of nonsense irritates me.
It's both AMD and Intel PC users and it's not a huge number by any means actually, but several people have. The osx86 is still buggy and weekly it's getting better. But I'd say 6 to a dozen on the osx86 project forums have had results comparable to PPCs.
They used xbench.

It's not really emulating either (not anymore they've gotten past vmware), it's the MacOS that they're using to test MacIntels for bugs. It's a harddrive install and boots up just like your Mac would when you turn it on. Emulating is more along the lines of VirtualPC.

Also osx86 isn't optimised to take advantage of 64bit processors yet or threading, and more than not had low benchmarks so they weren't blowing the Apples out of the water or anything though. Many users seemed to say that osx86 seemed to run quicker than their Apple counterparts.

There's videos of people booting up and using it (though Apple threatened many of them to stop hosting), and it seems a lot quicker (especially startup) in many regards to my own experience with Apples (I've been using dual G4/dual G5's exclusively for the past 3 years) and I really do love Apples so I'm not really trying to slag them or anything. I've yet to try it out myself, but look forward to.

My next computer was going to be a G5 but I think I might go PC instead, but who knows, maybe the new Quad will impress me and I'll swing back over.

Personally I don't think either one is better or worse, they both are equally flawed.

If I swing Mac I'll probably buy a cheap PC anyways, if just for PC only programs and stuff like web surfing. Surfing on a Mac is terrible IMO, weird formatting problems which I dont seem to have a problem with using a PC and Safari and Firefox seem to crash on me quite a bit, especially using Myspace.

Macs are just more elegant machines with better integration and stability beetween all the components.. always have been, always will be.. much like the Mac OS has ALWAYS been more powerful and graceful than Windblowz.
Product control has a reason behind that. If OS X was introduced in the same fashion Windows was it'd be just as problematic. I don't know if I can agree with more powerful, but more graceful yes.

I really do love Mac OS though, it's nice and sleek, well layed out and easier on the eyes. Many PC people on that forum said they've enjoyed fooling around with OS X on their PCs so much that they're going to buy one when the MacIntels come out. That alone shows how great the OS really is.

But maybe it's those overpriced Cinema Displays though I've been starring at which are the same as Dells but with a different case and some ports and such They took them apart, same model numbers inside. My friend bought a Dell one and we compared it to the cinema displays at school and couldn't tell much of a difference and he paid on special $460 (it's $503 now) vs $800. So if you're in the market for the cinema display ;)

i question the integrity and objectivity of the tests... full stop.
I question all the ones on the Apple website as well. Especially since they don't tell the specs of the PowerMacs or the PCs that they compared anywhere I can see on their website beyond what the processor was.

Who knows, that plug-in thing above, the PC could have 512mb of ram and the Apple maxxed out... And seeing that it's coming from an Apple website... They'd never hype their own product! :D

I question every test I see though whether it's Pro-PC or Pro-Apple. I like to pick fun at both groups. I usually play devils advocate, argue the PC side on Pro-Apple threads and the mac side on Pro-PC threads.

look here for info on why Apple chose Intel over AMD.
Interesting, but I personally would buy an AMD over an Intel. But then again I don't use laptops which is what the whole low voltage thing is about and the Apple laptops are a huge seller for them, AMD doesn't cater as much to that market.

A couple other reasons I think they chose Intel is price and amount they can ship. Intel can surely offer a lower pricepoint and I'm not sure if AMD could really deliver the amount of processors Apple would require. Plus Intel has loads more R&D money they can swing Apple's way (which was also mentioned.)

AMD is more innovative though in my opinion. Intel always seems a step behind them in performance.

Sorry to hear your friend is having problems with the AMD's he built, I really don't know anyone who has personally and I know plenty of hardcore gamers, I'm not one for games myself though. My parents AMD PC that I built for them...6 years ago is still alive and kicking just fine.

and despite all the rhetoric, mac is still the dominant platform in every large studio i have ever been in with upgrade plans calling for, you guessed it... new Macs. \m/

anyway, from what you just said above it sure seems like you didn't actually read the article i linked.

James Murphy said:
and despite all the rhetoric, mac is still the dominant platform in every large studio i have ever been in with upgrade plans calling for, you guessed it... new Macs. \m/

anyway, from what you just said above it sure seems like you didn't actually read the article i linked.

Sorry, I read it, was editing my above post about the low voltage line which is laptop concern not the desktops really....

Yeah, most large studios do use it which stems from well ProTools once being Apple only based.

These days I'm reading Digidesign Admins saying on the forums that XP actually provides a more stable and faster ProTools experience (at least with LE.) They're also saying to avoid buying new Macs right now for TDM users because they're going the PCI Express route and the PCI cards wont be compatible. It requires almost a complete recompile of the software.

And if you read the new Sound on Sound they just did a huge thing on interfaces and everyones complaining about the same thing and how they probably won't be making anything for PCI Express.