Important Message From Steve Smyth, May 30, 2006

eaeolian

Division Guitarist
Feb 11, 2002
Woodbridge, VA
www.division-usa.com
From Steve Smyth, for immediate release, May 30, 2006:

"It is with deep regret that I will not be able to perform at any of European festivals over the next week with Nevermore, as I am now in hospital being treated with dialysis. The total kidney failure that I thought was a few months away has already happened. I am extremely
disappointed with this situation, but there is nothing I can do. I wish the guys in Nevermore all the best and hope that as many of you fans as possible give them your support in Europe."

Steve's a longtime friend of Division, and we wish him well - and hope that he can find a transplant donor soon.

End Stage Renal Disease is no easy thing. Most of the people who've been around me or the band know that I worked in Dialysis for nine years before moving on to computers. I saw a lot of people in different walks of life affected by it. Some were older and didn't develop ESRD until they were in their 80's or so, mostly through high blood pressure. Some were five or nine years old or even younger when they were misdiagnosed or untreatable.

Essentially, kidneys work in an ongoing manner to regulate blood pressure and electrolytes and to expel waste and poisons from the body. When they don't work, the body functions are out of whack and poisons build up in the system. Dialysis is an ongoing treatment where machines and synthetic proteins take the place of kidney function. Since they can't be put into a person in a portable manner, the patient has to return (usually 2-3 times per week for 3-4 hours per treatment) for ongoing therapy.

This, combined with the strict nutritional regiments and other changes, makes for a very difficult transitional period. My family and I wish Steve the best and fastest adjustment to his treatment and hopefully eligibility for a transplant.