IMPORTANT QUESTION - What record label SHOULD Novembers Doom be on?

WEA, or maybe Hollywood... (wait, holly wood couldnt break a band to save their lives, so scratch that).... Dreamworks? Any MAJOR would work... big production budgets and tour support!

-or -

Maybe split from your indie underground label to start your own record label and give it an embarrassingly funny name, like "Rokzorian Mandibulated Productions, LTD." That seems to be the big trend these days. Then sign a bunch of really good bands and make it nearly impossible for fans to buy the albums.

The Wanderer said:
There is definately some truth to that. I think Iced Earth are a prime example of having it coming.

and those bands did sign the deals.

Like Deicide, they hated being on roadrunner, but why the fuck would you sign for 7 albums?

and some bands move away from the labels original interest (style, whatever, like the gathering), or the label moves away from the band, like roadrunner.
who knows. messy deal this business is.

then there are the cases where the label totally drops the ball. It's both sides. But CM does seem to be messin up a bunch, who knows.

What you said about Iced Earth is completely bullshit. They never "had it coming" in the sense that they were acting like fucking Axl Rose,they just never stepped back on things with CM. After Night Of The Stormrider they still hadn't gotten barely any money though Stormrider sold 10,000 copies...well either in Europe or as a whole,I can't remember. That's why there's such a long time between Stormrider and Offerings...the title song on Burnt Offerings is basically dedicated to CM too. Nevermore had troubles with CM like someone stated before,also Arch Enemy had some shit with Wages Of Sin...dunno details on that.
I've got at least on tip. Don't EVER go to Earache if you have another chance....The Haunted's vocalist Marco Aro has been throwing shit at them during interviews more than enough. Also he said that when Entombed's guy saw the Earache manager and asked where their cash disappeared that they obviously were supposed to get from cd's the man said that it'll be taken care of....this Entombed member got $25 and a video. :err:
Can't really recommend a label that you SHOULD go to...it's always so much easier to find shit about the crappy ones :)

I would definately go with a label that has good
distrubution, how about century media or nuclear blast?

Actually just read that DS made a deal to increase distribution. It'd still be lighter than CM or Nucular Blast I would imagine. But going to a label simply for increased distribution can do a lot to damage the intergrity of the music and sometimes cause problems within the band itself ultimately leading to it's demise.

No matter what label we record for, in present time or in the future, it will never compromise our musical integrity....this band has already been on three different labels over the years and it never affected our sound or direction, and we wouldn't let that happen. Distribution is an important factor to be sure, but there's so much other stuff to take into account when determining whether or not to sign a deal with someone, it'd make your head spin. At this point, after three labels, we have a pretty good idea of what we do and dont want to deal with and what's likely to be the right move for us. DS has done great stuff for us and we are grateful for that, and it is our home.

I guess dark symphonies aint so bad when it comes to
distrobution. Ive seen November doom albums in lots
of different record shops and easy to get on the net here in
Norway.

erik@digitalmetal said:
I think you should have stayed on Martyr, but of course thye just got soem italians clones of you (How Like a Winter)

I don't think How Like a Winter is a clone of us really. We are in the same genre, but again, the band that pops into my head when I hear them, is MDB. I'm not just saying that to take a cheap way out, like MOST so-called reviewers out there, but they REALLY sound like MDB, so much in fact, i was able to fool people into thinking it was their new material. haha.

I think they are a very good band.

:lol:

I hope I'll make it to NEMH 2004, but since I live in southern CT and can't drive, that's a some trouble, and my mom being a control freak and me being under 18 doesn't help :(

:lol:

it's too big, and on my old comp it made it crash.

I would be able to get a ride from my brother, but since my mom is evil, that's my main problem...

Evil moms can be a problem, yeah.....choosy moms however are much easier to handle, as long as you throw them a jar of Jif....oh forget it, you're all probably too young to even get that joke.

I've been awake for much too long.