Impulses rock

I've done my own impulse!
I was testing this great thing!!
I recorded a riff: this is the mic and this is direct (from preamp output) with the impulse applied to the track!
And here the wir file for IR-1 from waves, I can't create in IR-1 the wave file... well actually I don't know if it's possible....
The amp used for the impulse is a shitty digital amp head with a transistor
poweramp, the cab is a marshall loaded with vintage 30's. So no great tone at all but this impulse works, it works great.
Soundwise there's no difference from direct to mic.
Can you hear the difference? I can't! it sounds incredible
I have to say thanks to Splatt88, man you rock :headbang:
Asap I'll do an impulse with my 5150 and boogie dual

Glad to help! Like I said, I can hear no difference between my miced cab and the impulses unless the cabinet is really cranked, but that's not practical for home recording anyway.

I read the manual of IR-1 and it's not possible to make a wave of the impulse, just the proprietary .wir format.
Do you think is possible to convert the .wir file into a wave impulse?
So I can share my files with people who are using Voxengo Pristine Space
(which I don't think it can import .wir files)
Thanks again!!!!!

Impulse files are just sounds files at the end of the day right? So it might be worth trying to open the .wir files in something like Goldwave and seeing if it can still read them - sometimes a program will open a file regardless of the extension if it recognises the encoding.

Steve

The similarity is amazing, kaomao. I think the only difference I can spot is slightly more harshness (that digital quality) on the impulse clip. But I mean it's almost negligible.

I hope you find a way to convert that impulse to .wav. I certainly look forward to it.

Thanks for sharing!

Suicide_As_Alibi said:
Impulse files are just sounds files at the end of the day right? So it might be worth trying to open the .wir files in something like Goldwave and seeing if it can still read them - sometimes a program will open a file regardless of the extension if it recognises the encoding.

Steve

I tried to load the wir file into winamp and it can't play, while splatt88's files work in winamp.
I'm gonna try voxengo's plugin so I can share it with all of you :)

*BUMP*

Ok, so to understand some things here...with Splat's impulses, I can load them into Altiverb, and basically apply the plug-in to the D.I.'ed track from a head, correct? I have a Weber MEGA DUMP on the way, which is a THD HotPlate but better, it has a line out. I plug the head into the Weber, and have the line out going to the DAW, record that, apply Altiverb with the impulses and it's done?

~006

006 said:
*BUMP*

Ok, so to understand some things here...with Splat's impulses, I can load them into Altiverb, and basically apply the plug-in to the D.I.'ed track from a head, correct? I have a Weber MEGA DUMP on the way, which is a THD HotPlate but better, it has a line out. I plug the head into the Weber, and have the line out going to the DAW, record that, apply Altiverb with the impulses and it's done?

~006

Yup, that's pretty much it - most convolution plug-ins have LOTS of settings to play around with, but to get it working is as simple as adding the effect and selecting the impulse, and remember to turn up the wet mix! On Perfect Space (which comes with Sonar), the wet signal is set at -9.6Db to start with, so you have to turn that up and the dry one down.

The big things to play with I think are the length of the impulse, the delay before it acts and the offset - on Splatt's file (I can't remember which one I used) I put the offset up a bit because it started loud and then there was a small dip, and then it went back up a bit before decaying out smoothly. I also cut the length a touch because there's a bit that is virtually silent just at the end.

Steve

006 said:
I plug the head into the Weber, and have the line out going to the DAW, record that

Or, if you can get the levels sorted, run an amp's effect loop send to the DAW/recorder.

Impulse models of speakers are technically also models of a power amp and a microphone, so you might not always want to double up on the power amp stage sound. Splat's impulses were made using a fairly transparent tube PA IIRC, but some folks might be making impulses by running a signal into their guitar amp's effect loop return jack. This might lead to some interesting combinations, such as the pre stage of a 5150 into a modelled power stage of a Dual Rec, but it could also lead to a power amp signal being run through a modelled power amp signal and the user wondering why it sounds crap.

Well, I will be using the Weber Mega Dump in order to crank the amp to very high levels without shaking my entire house. So using the FX Loop Send kinda defeats the purpose of buying that. I didn't think of that though, the fact that the signal would be going through two power amps basically, once at the amp, and again through the impulse file. I guess I can try both ways and see which works and which one doesn't. Thanks guys.

Also, in Altiverb, it's not letting me use wavs. I'd really like to use the Splat ones...anyone know how I can upload a wav into Altiverb?

~006

006 said:
Well, I will be using the Weber Mega Dump in order to crank the amp to very high levels without shaking my entire house. So using the FX Loop Send kinda defeats the purpose of buying that.

No, if you just ran the amps send into the DAW, with no MEGADUMP (LOL), you'd blow the output trannie. It's there to take the place of a speaker load, which the amp needs to run.

Exactly, thats why I want the MD. So that I can have a dummy load on the amp and be able to crank it up and run that signal from the MD into the DAW. I don't want any sound coming from the actual speakers in the combo.

~006