In Flames - Clayman - another more accurate review

Blue_Jay

New Metal Member
Aug 23, 2006
Texas, United States
www.myspace.com
Clayman is an album I've been listening to for 3 years and it is still one of my favorite albums ever to listen to. Although The Jester Race is my favorite album, this is my 2nd favorite album from the band. So the first thing that comes to mind is what makes this beat the other 5 albums that In Flames has created (not including Lunar Strain/ Subterranean since the band wasn't really In Flames back then it was Dark Tranquility except with one In Flames member and one less DT member). Well it would have been just a plain album, maybe about as plain as Reroute To Remain if there wasn't just one thing in it. The sound effects. Thanks to the sound effects, the bass has been edited to make it sound explosively amazing. Not only that but the vocalist's voice gets edited into a better sound with the editing. Thanks to this editing the album sounds like your normal In Flames except a lot more chaotic and heavier. Not only that but the guitar work off this album is phenominal. Jester had a lot of great ideas obviously for this album and the guest guitarist off the song Suburban Me was just plain awesome also. Some of the band's best work is off of this album like the metal anthem Only For The Weak and the Opethish sounding Bullet Ride. Although not one of the bigger hits my favorite off the album was Another Day In The Quicksand. The solo off that song to me was worth the entire album in itself and beats just about every solo Metallica has ever done. But anyways if you care I will give you a quick run down on all of the songs. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1. Bullet Ride: An absolutely amazing song that made my heart almost stoped when I first heard it. One of the best off the album. 10/10 (third favorite)

2. Pinball Map: Good song. Sorta sounds like Bullet Ride but has a more thumpish feeling to it instead of the Opethish guitar feelings. Certainly not as good as the before song though. 8/10

3. Only For The Weak: Known as a metal anthem, this song is definitly one of the best songs off the album, but it's not a favorite. The whiny vocals is an additional minus for me but still it deserves a 10 because of how... amazing the instrumentation is. Slow and boomy. 10/10

4. ...As The Future Repeats Today: Another great song. Feels like I'm going through a time demension while I listen to this song. Time demension to hell. 10/10

5. Square Nothing: I have to be in the right mood to listen to this due to the soft accoustic begginings. Still the song picks up later on and it sounds really good. Absolutely love it. 9/10

6. Clayman: Good song, really like the vocalization somewhere later on in the song, Anders voice gets edited. The bass is also edited here to enhance the coolness of this song (hey my name is Clay haha!!) 8/10

7. Satelites And Astronauts: This would beeee... one of my favorites. Absolutely amazing and there's something about this song that makes it not get as old as fast. The lyrics are probably some of the best lyrics the band has done. The rhythm is very nice but it is not spacy like so don't get confused by the song's name. 10/10 (2nd favorite)

8. Brush The Dust Away: May take awhile to grow on you. This song is very heavy and doesn't let up. You can tell Anders hobby as a card player is getting shown in the lyrics here. 9/10

9. Swim: I hate this song. Others may love it but I never liked this song from the first time I listened to it to the most recent time which was today. 3/10

10. Suburban Me: Great song. A guest guitarist (forgot his name) makes an appearance here. The guitarist is about as good as Jester if you ask me off this song. 9/10

11. Another Day In Quicksand: Absolutely my favorite off this album. It starts off with an awesome guitar rift. Then followed by some heavier guitars with Anders adding in his vocals. The song never lets up in variety then soon comes the epic solo. This solo is so good I cried over it actually. Definitly worth a listen, it will turn someone not an In Flames fan right into one guranteed. 10/10 (my favorite)

If you get the limited edition (yes the album was a big enough success to come out with a limited edition) then you'll get two brand new songs. One was horrible called Strong And Smart and gets a 1/10 not even worth explaining.Easily my least favorite. The other one World Or Promises has a very catchy chorus and a very different guitar rhythm compared to the other songs. Still it sounds like something you'd hear off Clayman and is still very awesome. 10/10

Awesome album. What else is there to say about it other than just two bad songs to mention. The rest are metal goodness and some others might even like the song Swim (ran into people who like it on the forums). The only other fault I can think up of is you can't really hear the drums off the album. But still the excellent bass quality makes up for it. You'll hardly hear any bass off a metal album now adays. So yes this is worth getting. Any true metal fan should have listened to this album in it's entirety by now.

Is your thread title meant to be funny or are you just trying to sound blind and fanboy'd?

The contrast between this album and Colony is all too clear. Colony rocked, then they started down their U.S-ish trend with this one... still not a bad album, just a little weak imho. Bullet Ride, Pinball Map, Clayman and Suburban Me all work - I'd happily toss the rest...

What was this review suppose to be accurate about? Your fanboyism for In Flames?

I haven't listened to this album for almost 2 years and actually I forget what some of the songs sound like. Instead of telling me what your favorite album is by the band and what song totally kicks ass. Look at your quick review for track 11. It describes pretty much every song on the planet, minus the absolutely incredible god worth solo you cried about.

I don't like this review at all. It is more of a case of desperate defense against someone who doesn't like the album rather then reviewing it.

There is no such thing as a "more accurate" review unless someone previously claimed they were a rap band.

Great album either way. I got my band name—one of them—from "Only For The Weak."

1. Bullet Ride: This is to me the worst opening song on any Inflames album.

2. Pinball Map: Followed up by pure Maiden worship and this is one of my favorite songs they have ever done.

3. Only For The Weak: Great driving heavy as shit beat. Great song

4. ...As The Future Repeats Today: Good song always overshadowed by the last two to me, because Ill always listen to those repeatedly.

5. Square Nothing: Excellent song, the pacing of this album is killer.

6. Clayman: One of my other favs. I sang this with Anders at a show In Arkansas. He head butted me and shoved the mic in my face. Good times.

7. Satelites And Astronauts: Excellent song very over looked,

8. Brush The Dust Away: Good song still not as good as Pinball Map to me, but thats my fave on this record.

9. Swim: This song is fucking great. How you could not like this song is beyond me. The guitar licks that bring to mind water are awesome.

10. Suburban Me: CHRIS AMOTT DID THE SOLO, excellent song.

11. Another Day In Quicksand: Great song period.

12. Strong and Smart: Is a cover they did by a Swedish punk band. Came out years ago on Death is Just the Beginning volume 7 I believe. Excellent song Youre demented.

13. World Of Promises: Also a cover by a swedish pop band done for the Power Of The North Sweden Rocks THe World comp. Also done many years ago. Neither are actually their songs. This is a great song and their best cover they did.

I am a fanboy.

Is your thread title meant to be funny or are you just trying to sound blind and fanboy'd?

The contrast between this album and Colony is all too clear. Colony rocked, then they started down their U.S-ish trend with this one... still not a bad album, just a little weak imho. Bullet Ride, Pinball Map, Clayman and Suburban Me all work - I'd happily toss the rest...

To me Colony gets older faster but I still loved the album. Songs like Embody The Invisable and The New Word are some of the coolest songs I ever heard from them

I am a fanboy.

Me to. In Flames has some of the best fans I swear. Ever meet one you'll see what I mean they are totally biased.

Colony was pure shite. Not enough guitar work at all.

Actually every metal album has a lot of guitar work, you just need to know what the guitars sound like.

What was this review suppose to be accurate about? Your fanboyism for In Flames?

I haven't listened to this album for almost 2 years and actually I forget what some of the songs sound like. Instead of telling me what your favorite album is by the band and what song totally kicks ass. Look at your quick review for track 11. It describes pretty much every song on the planet, minus the absolutely incredible god worth solo you cried about.

I don't like this review at all. It is more of a case of desperate defense against someone who doesn't like the album rather then reviewing it.

Well you already have the album so the review doesn't really matter. For those who don't have it it will matter.

Blue_Jay, this is the most horrible review I have ever read in my entire life. Your descriptions of the songs are retarded, although funny.

Here are some highights:

"Feels like I'm going through a time demension while I listen to this song. Time demension to hell. "

lol

"The guitarist is about as good as Jester if you ask me off this song."

HIS name is JESPER! ftlog!

"You can tell Anders hobby as a card player is getting shown in the lyrics here"

wtf!

"Sorta sounds like Bullet Ride but has a more thumpish feeling to it instead of the Opethish guitar feelings. Certainly not as good as the before song though."

Ummm......no??????

This album is nowhere near as good as Colony or Whoracle, but it does have some heavy guitar work. Only for the Weak is pretty terrible imo although the Live version is much heavier... You obviously are too much of a fanboy but don't know your metal. This review shows that, also you need to grow up. I will close with this:

"The song never lets up in variety then soon comes the epic solo. This solo is so good I cried over it actually."

lmfao

"You can tell Anders hobby as a card player is getting shown in the lyrics here"

wtf!

"Sorta sounds like Bullet Ride but has a more thumpish feeling to it instead of the Opethish guitar feelings. Certainly not as good as the before song though."

Ummm......no??????

This album is nowhere near as good as Colony or Whoracle, but it does have some heavy guitar work. Only for the Weak is pretty terrible imo although the Live version is much heavier... You obviously are too much of a fanboy but don't know your metal. This review shows that, also you need to grow up. I will close with this:

You didn't know Anders plays poker during his spare time? Wow. I'm already sick of you but that just crosses the line.

The guitars off of Bullet Ride are entirely different with most of In Flames other works. It sounds Opethish to me so hence why I put it as sounding Opethish.

I wasn't trying to force a point I was trying to describe what the album sounds like at first then point out what I honestly feel about the songs.

Also Only For The Weak is considered to be a metal anthem. It is not complete crap.

Blowtus said:

you are correct.

colony is awesome and this album is weaker.