IN FLAMES Clayman Re-recorded 2020

I don't know. I've just met spanish women, and they're too different from each others. I guess it is the same in every country. But I'm also aware that culture, education and traditions make a difference.

The Spanish women I've met have all been very cool, but also very fiesty :D they were not afraid of saying exactly what they thought. I like that though.

Reactions: eochaid
I was so nervous meeting them, Chris wasn't there so it was just the 4 of them. The 3 American boys were chill and cracking jokes, I've spoke to both a couple of tpimes over Instagram and they seem nice, Bjorn was super chill and nice to me, and I was too nervous and fanboying to say anything to Anders beyond thanks for the music

I gave them a fucking CD with covers on it from members of an old forum (Everdying). It seemed like a cool thing to do at the time but I look back and cringe now. I hope they never listened to it, as those covers were horrible. Bjorn seemed really interested in it, but Anders was mainly just giving me a "wtf" look :D probably fair in the circumstances. I'm not sure Jesper, Peter or Daniel even looked at it. Hopefully not.

i am sorry for my bad comments about the jester slave he is my f(r)iend and i will behave like the friend to him not a bully

A random old interview with Anders about Passenger from 2003: https://web.archive.org/web/20050211155330/http://www.live4metal.com/passenger.htm

So we’ll see another future Passenger release?
Yeah, next year sometime. We had this album for a long time and the album was done before we approached the label, kind of lived with the album now for one year or one-and-a-half years. So I think the next Passenger is not that far away from the future.

17 years later... still waiting :D

A random old interview with Anders about Passenger from 2003: https://web.archive.org/web/20050211155330/http://www.live4metal.com/passenger.htm

17 years later... still waiting :D

If they did do one, and it was recorded in Sweden with Niclas, it'd sound more like In Flames than In Flames :rofl:

It's a real Shame In Flames didn't use Niclas more on Battles and ITM, the latest Engel album is really solid (as is the previous one to be honest) and has some great riffs. Good production too In Flames should have just recorded their stuff in the studio Niclas uses, it sounds good

Niclas has basically just been used as a touring musician. It is a bit of a shame but maybe that's what he's comfortable with. He always seems to have a bunch of other projects going on so maybe he just doesn't have the creative energy to expend on IF as well.

Reactions: TheJestersDoor

This is a song that very rarely gets talked about - Watch Them Feed. It's one of the strangest IF songs in their catalogue. Production is very raw - drums are high in the mix and kind of distracting. Nu-metal sounding guitars - kind of reminds me of Transparent from Reroute. Vocals are similar to Clayman screams but sound even more strained. Cleans are Reroute style but a bit grittier - more like Anders sounds on Passenger than any IF album. Lyrics are also really strange, not really like anything Anders has written before or since then. Although I do like the line "I lost my visual, 'cause all you fucks are in my way" :D like he's at the cinema and a group of tall people just came and sat right in front of him.

I remember not really liking this song when it came out and I still don't like it that much today either. Best part is the guitar work between 01:51 - 02:18.

I always forget that the Trigger EP was recorded separately from R2R sessions at another place called "Phlat Planet" wherever that is. Watch Them Feed, Land of Confusion & Moonshield C64 version that is. Maybe why they sound a bit different production wise. It also says that In Flames produced & mixed it themselves completely

EDIT: Phlat Planet was apparently a studio Anders owned back in 2000s

It doesn't surprise me that it was produced separately from R2R & STYE as it doesn't sound anything like production on either of those albums. I haven't listened to that Land of Confusion cover in a very long time but from what I remember the production on that is quite unusual for IF as well. It isn't one of their best covers imo. I recall the clean vocals sounding really weird.

I found an old Swedish interview during the STYE sessions posted by our own @Jabi in 2003, one part in particular jumped out at me:

"Do you think it is as disgustingly produced as the last record", Daniel [Bergstrand] asks, and i look at him totally speachless.
What did he really say, the producer of the last record as he is?
- "It could have sounded worse than that", says Anders, after the comment that amazed me.

:rofl: Evidently even the producer and the band knew that the production in R2R was terrible. Didn't stop them from fucking up STYE production as well though.

If they did do one, and it was recorded in Sweden with Niclas, it'd sound more like In Flames than In Flames :rofl:

It's a real Shame In Flames didn't use Niclas more on Battles and ITM, the latest Engel album is really solid (as is the previous one to be honest) and has some great riffs. Good production too In Flames should have just recorded their stuff in the studio Niclas uses, it sounds good

You must think of IF as a band of two. It's Anders and Bjorn. The rest are needed manequins.

This is a song that very rarely gets talked about - Watch Them Feed. It's one of the strangest IF songs in their catalogue. Production is very raw - drums are high in the mix and kind of distracting. Nu-metal sounding guitars - kind of reminds me of Transparent from Reroute. Vocals are similar to Clayman screams but sound even more strained. Cleans are Reroute style but a bit grittier - more like Anders sounds on Passenger than any IF album. Lyrics are also really strange, not really like anything Anders has written before or since then. Although I do like the line "I lost my visual, 'cause all you fucks are in my way" :D like he's at the cinema and a group of tall people just came and sat right in front of him.

I remember not really liking this song when it came out and I still don't like it that much today either. Best part is the guitar work between 01:51 - 02:18.

I like WTF. It was a nice surprise after R2R. A direct song withot pretensions. The production is really similar to CC. And the intro was copied by Slipknot in Before I forget.

You're right, the intro is very similar to Before I Forget. The main problems I have with WTF is the guitar tone which sounds a bit too nu-metally, and Anders' vocals which are somewhat painful to listen to. Clayman & Reroute mask the strain on Anders' vocals in different ways. Clayman has that vocal effect under the main vocals on almost every track which gives the vocals a fuller sound, whilst Reroute compresses the vocals to sound robotic rather than strained (I don't like this method).

WTF is just Anders' raw vocal performance and you can hear how weak his voice is during this period. It's obvious on live bootlegs from the period as well - the guy sounds like he's on the verge of blowing his voice out and can't even scream/growl properly on most 2002 shows. Fortunately he had improved by the time STYE & CC were recorded.

I guess that the constant touring and recording of albums made a big impact on his voice.

That didn't help, but he also had no proper vocal technique. Like a lot of the guys who started out in the MDM scene of the 90s he just did whatever came naturally and it caught up with him, as it did most of the others. Mikael Stanne had to take a year off around 2002 and his voice has never been the same since then. I think Character was the first album where he changed his vocal technique and it's been more or less the same ever since.

I think it's why nowadays most of these kinds of vocalists use the deep growl rather than screaming/shrieking vocal that was common in the mid-90s and early 2000s. Much less stress on the voicebox. Even Anders is doing this now, although he changed his style very late compared to most of the others.

I think that Anders changed when he understood that he couldn't scream anymore.

Wasn't Watch Them Feed a cover? I remember that it wasnt a IF song.

BTW they played it live, its pretty awesome man. Anders FTW! :D

Nah Watch Them Feed is an In Flames original. He does the screaming vocals pretty well in that clip, but those cleans... yikes :D I would say "don't quit your day job, bro", but...