IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Ok. But, after listening to voices, I the mask or burn, you didn't know those were, most probably, Benson's work?

My assumption was that, despite Benson not doing any actual writing this time, Anders and Björn were still influenced by his style after working with him on Battles. I had more faith that they would be able to use what they learned the last time to better effect now that they were doing all the writing themselves. I still think this is somewhat the case— again, I think eight of the songs on this album are fantastic, way better than anything on Battles.

If Benson acted as a “filter” for their creativity, that’s fine. That falls within a producer’s purview, and if they want to give him writing credit (or if he insisted — wonder if other bands he worked with credit him on their songs, too?) that’s fine. Annoying, but fine.

It’s mostly the other guys like Skolnik who have no business doing any writing on this album.

I'm also dissapointed. Bands like In Flames shouldn't be rellying on external people to write their songs.

A producer's work should be to take the best of the band and give advise, not to be part of the writting team.

This takes away the essence of the band.

Yep, exactly this.

Reactions: eochaid
Specially after Anders said that, this time, they did not wanted other people involved in the writting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePhobiac
Feels like Siren Charms was a big knock on their confidence as song writers, if Benson and crew are still involved. In fairness, SC was horribly put together... but SOAPF was great, so it's not like Anders & Bjorn don't have the ability.

Out of curiosity did Bergstrand or Laghi have songwriting credits? I'm fairly sure Nordstrom didn't.

I’ve never seen Bergstrand, Laghi, or Nordstrom in the writing credits.

I think they were very confident with Siren Charms — I remember them being more excited than usual in the time leading up to its release — but the mixed reception to it probably caught them off-guard. I remember them doing a live Q/A and everyone was asking why Siren Charms was so stripped back and simple and Björn was obviously getting exasperated. I think they wanted to try something different and ambitious but it just didn’t resonate with most of the audience.

I’m still bitter that they didn’t stick to their guns and pull out something crazy awesome like Projector instead of Battles, but hey. We live in a dark timeline.

Last edited:
I'm rather convinced you are making something out of nothing. The credit to Benson is most likely just a nod for his help, and doesn't mean he actually wrote any of those songs. You people need to chill.

It's funny that the one song which apparently needed 20 people to make is one of the most uninspiring one on the record. Reminds me of One More Light by Linkin Park. A dozen outside contributors, and the result is stripped down, dumb music.

I'm rather convinced you are making something out of nothing. The credit to Benson is most likely just a nod for his help, and doesn't mean he actually wrote any of those songs. You people need to chill.

It's funny that the one song which apparently needed 20 people to make is one of the most uninspiring one on the record. Reminds me of One More Light by Linkin Park. A dozen outside contributors, and the result is stripped down, dumb music.

If that was true why do none of their previous producers have songwriting credits, for presumably the same help? The acknowledgement surely comes in the form of payment and the main credit of producer. Benson must have had more of a hand than just acting as a filter. My guess is that his major work came with the choruses and ProTool/autotuning shit.

I checked quickly 4 or 5 bands ( like All That Remains, Three Days Grace, P.O.D. and some others ) that worked with Howard. They gave him no writing credits in their albums produced by him.

If that was true why do none of their previous producers have songwriting credits, for presumably the same help? The acknowledgement surely comes in the form of payment and the main credit of producer. Benson must have had more of a hand than just acting as a filter. My guess is that his major work came with the choruses and ProTool/autotuning shit.
Isn't that what a producer may do? We may have different ideas what a producer SHOULD do, but it's objectively a rather flexible job, and usually up to the band how much they involve their producer(s).

Being more involved doesn't necessarily mean writing songs. I think when other people actually write your song, they present you riffs, vocal melodies and such for you to play. Just because Benson said "hey Anders, what you just did would sound cooler if you did it this way" is not exactly intrusive.

I don't see the point of this witch-hunt without proper information. It is true that they should leave Benson for their next record, and not because this album is shit, but because In Flames should never stick with one style. We Will Remember, In This Life, Follow Me, last third of Burn and House are alredy a borefest, mostly because of the trash choruses. ITM is pretty much Battles fixed, and I'm moderately happy with the result, but I will be seriously dissappointed, if they do it for a 3rd fucking time. Sadly, they really like recording in the US, so...
I checked quickly 4 or 5 bands ( like All That Remains, Three Days Grace, P.O.D.) that worked with Howard. They gave him no writing credit in their albums.
So this is a huge conspiracy, where IF denies that anyone wrote their songs, but then go on and print it in their booklet. Also, they admitted to outside influence on Battles upfront, but this time they decided to deny it.

Take a chill pill.

So this is a huge conspiracy, where IF denies that anyone wrote their songs, but then go on and print it in their booklet. Also, they admitted to outside influence on Battles upfront, but this time they decided to deny it.

Nope, as I wrote before, I believe that IF gave more credits to Howard than what he deserves.

Reactions: Jester Slave
Isn't that what a producer may do? We may have different ideas what a producer SHOULD do, but it's objectively a rather flexible job, and usually up to the band how much they involve their producer(s).

Being more involved doesn't necessarily mean writing songs. I think when other people actually write your song, they present you riffs, vocal melodies and such for you to play. Just because Benson said "hey Anders, what you just did would sound cooler if you did it this way" is not exactly intrusive.

I don't see the point of this witch-hunt without proper information. It is true that they should leave Benson for their next record, and not because this album is shit, but because In Flames should never stick with one style. We Will Remember, In This Life, Follow Me, last third of Burn and House are alredy a borefest, mostly because of the trash choruses. ITM is pretty much Battles fixed, and I'm moderately happy with the result, but I will be seriously dissappointed, if they do it for a 3rd fucking time. Sadly, they really like recording in the US, so...

Take a chill pill.

You can't just ignore evidence and scream "CONSPIRACY". Benson obviously had more of a hand in this album than Anders & Bjorn have let on. Whether that's structuring parts of songs or providing certain vocal melodies that's still enough to have songwriting credits, and as far as we know more than any producer has had to do for the band previously.

I hope IF move on from Howard for the next album, but I think Anders in particular probably likes the idea of being associated with such a "famous" metal/rock producer and is happy to stick around and continue on this route which doesn't 100% please either section of the IF fanbase, but kind of satisfies most of us.

Feels like Siren Charms was a big knock on their confidence as song writers, if Benson and crew are still involved. In fairness, SC was horribly put together... but SOAPF was great, so it's not like Anders & Bjorn don't have the ability.

Out of curiosity did Bergstrand or Laghi have songwriting credits? I'm fairly sure Nordstrom didn't.
Nope. They did not.

Lol. That's not how things happen in real life.

Specially when those producers helped Anders write his vocal melodies. Slave is playing the devil's advocate here but only for the sake of it. What he did is not a real argument.

And then they give him writring credits in the booklet because he's a nice grandpa. Read what you're writting and think for once.

Specially when those producers helped Anders write his vocal melodies. Slave is playing the devil's advocate here but only for the sake of it. What he did is not a real argument.

The argument that they put him and his buddies in the songwriting credits as a thanks is absolutely ludicrous. That just isn't how it works - if he was then producers would be getting song writing credits all over the place. The reason is clearly because Benson had a solid hand in something on every track - most likely vocal melodies, whether that's just in the choruses or verses too.

Despite how much Howard was involved, one thing is for sure:
Both Anders and Björn have an unexplained love for him. I don't see them moving on from Howard for the next album.

Despite how much Howard was involved, one thing is for sure:
Both Anders and Björn have an unexplained love for him. I don't see them moving on from Howard for the next album.

I'm sure the idea of recording in the States with a well known producer of "hits" appeals to both of them. They want to transform into a mixture of Scorpions and Depeche Mode with a heavy metal edge.

The argument that they put him and his buddies in the songwriting credits as a thanks is absolutely ludicrous. That just isn't how it works - if he was then producers would be getting song writing credits all over the place. The reason is clearly because Benson had a solid hand in something on every track - most likely vocal melodies, whether that's just in the choruses or verses too.
Do not writting credits also involve royalties?

Anders worjed with Daniel Bergstrand for years. They were friends and knew each other before DB joined In Flames. He helped Anders a lot into working his vocal melodies. No credit given to him. Ever.

Now we're told to think that they're so moved and grateful by Benson's work and personality that they felt the need to do this... As a tribute to the old guy?

I remember, not too long ago, slave talking about not inerpreting things beyond their meaning. Apparently it only applies when it's convenient to the discussion.