IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

Do not writting credits also involve royalties?

Anders worjed with Daniel Bergstrand for years. They were friends and knew each other before DB joined In Flames. He helped Anders a lot into working his vocal melodies. No credit given to him. Ever.

Now we're told to think that they're so moved and grateful by Benson's work and personality that they felt the need to do this... As a tribute to the old guy?

I remember, not too long ago, slave talking about not inerpreting things beyond their meaning. Apparently it only applies when it's convenient to the discussion.

I'm not sure regarding songwriting credits and royalties, but that actually might be the only logical reason as to why they'd include him even if he didn't really write anything. It might be written into their contract with him that he'll be put into the songwriting credits and as a result receive a % of the royalties. I dunno. I just question why that would be the case when it clearly isn't for any of the other bands Benson has been producing?

From the interviews, they are mezmerized by him, which is sad. I am not saying he is bad, because IF hired him to do
And then they give him writring credits in the booklet because he's a nice grandpa. Read what you're writting and think for once.
Do you think there is a universal criteria for getting writing credits? Like a third party comes in, asks around, and decide whether you are obligated to give writing credits to these people or not? I'm pretty sure you could write fake names if you wanted to, no one would care.

I am confident that Benson was involved just as much as he was with Battles. WHich means, probbaly a lot, but now they wrote his name in the booklet. Great. Who really cares? You think just because Nordstrom wasn't credited, he couldn't have been? If they admittedly had fallouts during the Clayman production, that means the bands' and the producer's ideas were different, which means Nordstrom had big influence on the end product.

You are searching for drama in schemantics. 100 ghost writers could make an entire record for you without any writing credits, and you could give your cat a writing credit, without it actually contributing to anything. It's just a booklet.

Do not writting credits also involve royalties?
Probably. And you can also perform those songs even if you are not part of the band. Ie. I am pretty sure Jesper is allowed to play any In Flames song live which he has writing credit for.

I am confident that Benson was involved just as much as he was with Battles. WHich means, probbaly a lot, but now they wrote his name in the booklet. Great. Who really cares?

If so then why did Anders come out and specifically state that this wasn't the case? Why lie? Did he think people were really that bothered by Benson being involved that they wouldn't buy the album unless he pretended it was different this time? It doesn't really make any sense to me.

Who is going to check up on it? If I say you contributed to this song, who on earth will know if it is true or not? I can say whateverI want in my booklet.

Who is going to check up on it? If I say you contributed to this song, who on earth will know if it is true or not? I can say whateverI want in my booklet.
Howard Benson. A millionare producer that does not need to be credited by some random band.

Why do this?

Regardless of credit shenanigans I can now say, having had my deluxe CD arrive, Blake Armstrong did an incredible job with the art in the booklet

Album artwork has been one of the few consistently good things IF have going for them since SOAPF. I've liked the album artwork for all of the last four albums. Hated ASOP though.

As much as I disliked the album, Siren Charms had some pretty cool artwork. Same with Battles, though the Whoracle-Clayman era logo would have been a better fit. In contrast, I wasn't a big fan of SOAPF's cover art.

The Siren Charms artwork is by far my favorite of the past decade. I liked the Battles artwork, too. Wasn’t big on SOAPF grey-yellow aesthetic but it was alright. ASOP has some cool ideas but I didn’t care for the drawing technique. ITM is too ASOP-like for my tastes (the Jester kid on the front cover is so lame, imo).

I like asop, soapf (my favourite one). As for sc and battles I've just seen the cover. Sc is cool. Battles I don't like. The new one seems cool so far.

If we're rating artwork (and we love rating stuff here, right?) I'd go with...

Lunar/Sub - 6/10
TJR - 8/10
Whoracle - 10/10
Colony - 10/10
Clayman - 5/10
Reroute - 8/10
STYE - 1/10 (seriously, was any effort put into this?)
Come Clarity - 7/10
ASOP - 3/10
SOAPF - 8/10
Siren Charms - 8/10
Battles - 7/10
ITM - 7/10

Whoracle and Colony's covers are pretty awesome to me. I love the imagery and the details put into the artwork. Clayman wasn't terrible but was pretty boring compared to the previous albums. Reroute had a cool aesthetic. STYE was as bland as bland gets. CC was alright but some lame pictures like the guy ripping his heart out and the JesterHead crying tears. It was a bit like an emo version of Reroute. ASOP I really dislike the art style. SOAPF is a bit minimalistic but it reminds me of the Reroute artwork so that's cool. SC artwork was very nice despite the album being shit. Battles & ITM both okay, some stuff I'm not a huge fan of but some really nice artwork too. The one thing I will say about Battles is that the artwork in no way reflects the content of the album. It should have just had a picture of a sunny Californian beach with Anders, Bjorn, Engelin and their American friends giving each other high fives next to surfboards with bikini babes in the background.

Lunar Strain - 6/10
Subterranean - 7/10
The Jester Race - 7/10
Whoracle - 9/10
Colony - 10/10
Clayman - 4/10
Reroute - 3/10
STYE - 6/10
Come Clarity - 5/10
ASOP - 4/10
SOAPF - 5/10
Siren Charms - 8/10
Battles - 7/10
I, The Mask - 5/10

Ls 1/10
Subterranean 1/10
Tjr 4/10
Whoracle 5/10
Colony 5/10
Clayman 0/10
R2r 8/10
Stye 6/10
Cc 7/10
Asop 6/10
Soapf 9/10
Sc 7/10
Battles 3/10
Itm 9/10

Lunar Strain - 1/10
The Jester Race - 7/10
Whoracle - 8/10
Colony - 9/10
Clayman - 7/10
R2R - 6/10
STYE - 1/10
Come Clarity - 8/10
ASOP - 4/10
SOAPF - 9/10
Siren Charms - 8/10
Battles - 7/10
ITM - 8/10

Motherfuckers, STOP LETTING NON-BAND MEMBERS WRITE YOUR MUSIC.
For me it doesn't really matter who does what as long as it sounds good. For example, Fredrik Nordström did keyboards on Clayman, and some keyboards on TJR, and I doubt anyone here obliges to that. I wonder if he did the iconic keyboards in the Only For The Weak intro/melody, probably did.

STYE’s artwork — and that’s including the in-booklet art — is awesome. I’ve always enjoyed Niklas Sundin’s work, and I like the contrast of gold on dark blue/black on the cover. DT’s Fiction has a similar cover style. The images of young, adult, and old Anders in the booklet are pretty cool, too (and pretty predictive).

TJR, Reroute, STYE, Come Clarity, and Siren Charms are my favorites as far as artwork goes.

For me it doesn't really matter who does what as long as it sounds good. For example, Fredrik Nordström did keyboards on Clayman, and some keyboards on TJR, and I doubt anyone here obliges to that. I wonder if he did the iconic keyboards in the Only For The Weak intro/melody, probably did.

That’s a good point. I guess I just have weird criteria when it comes to bands writing their own music. I do enjoy most of the album, after all. There’s just something about knowing that the music is always coming from the same place, y’know?

He did de keyboards? What does this mean? He came with keyboard melodies written by himself or he used keyboards upon some guitar melody written by the band? Those are two different things.

Guitar players are almost never credited for the solos of the songs, through they're the ones actually creating those solos...

Last edited: