In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

Really sad news. I loved Daniel's drumming on every song literally. Btw, I saw an interesting comment on internet; dunno its true but here u go:

"Not sure if it's the same woman, but I was talking with him like 15 years ago and his then wife had told him she was gonna divorce him if he didn't stop touring...if it's the same woman, kudos to him for being able to milk that ultimatum for 15 years!"

"Not sure if it's the same woman, but I was talking with him like 15 years ago and his then wife had told him she was gonna divorce him if he didn't stop touring...if it's the same woman, kudos to him for being able to milk that ultimatum for 15 years!"

I don't know his answer, but I know what would've been mine: "this is what I love, this is what I want. You knew. I you can't handle it then there are women enough."

He was obviously going through the motions for the better part of a decade. Someone of Daniel's skill level would and should be bored out of his mind playing derivative mid-tempo crap night after night. Maybe after Siren Charms he finally realized the paychecks weren't worth compromising his abilities, not to mention being away from his family constantly.

Maybe once Jesper's done with his solo album, the two of them could get back in touch and start a side project. Jesper on guitar and bass, Daniel on drums and vocals. I'd love to hear what could come of that.

I found Livewire's intro on this story quite amusing:

In Flames have seen their fair share of member changes over the years and it looks as though the band will be looking for someone new to keep the beat. Drummer Daniel Svensson (pictured second in from left) has announced his upcoming exit from the band and the group has yet to comment or name his replacement.

Their fair share of member changes over the years? In the last 16 years only Jesper has left :D

Wut, I'd be thrilled to meet him and see him live. Just because I was fed up with his babyrage-sessions on Facebook, I don't despise the guy.

This is probably the funniest thing that you said here. No, you can guess that, if Jesper comes back, no Siren Charms played live, and most probably a return to a harder sound.

This is probably the funniest thing that you said here. No, you can guess that, if Jesper comes back, no Siren Charms played live, and most probably a return to a harder sound.
I'm fine with everything that has been labeled In Flames over the years, as long as it's not Lunar Strain. They'd still play Paralyzed though at least.

According to your own words, no, if Jesper comes back.
If he came back then he believed it is worth making songs again with the band and include himself in the process, so surely he could swallow at least one song from SC. He comes off to me as a person, who'd rather be in the shadows, doing his job, than being a diva, and refusing to play any SC songs at all, just because he is Jesper Strömbald.

If he came back then he believed it is worth making songs again with the band and include himself in the process, so surely he could swallow at least one song from SC. He comes off to me as a person, who'd rather be in the shadows, doing his job, than being a diva, and refusing to play any SC songs at all, just because he is Jesper Strömbald.

You should try to stick to your own logic. Now, Jesper would be a diva if, in the highly improbable return, he would not want to play any song from SC. But (now I'm quoting you again):

not to mention Anders did not write his own lyrics then, so it's not that surprising those records are not the closest to his heart.

Now, I really think that, in case that Jesper were to return to the band, they should keep on playing songs from the albums he wasn't invilved with, because they're part of the band. But you should be defending the opposite:heh:.

You should try to stick to your own logic. Now, Jesper would be a diva if, in the highly improbable return, he would not want to play any song from SC. But (now I'm quoting you again):

Now, I really think that, in case that Jesper were to return to the band, they should keep on playing songs from the albums he wasn't invilved with, because they're part of the band. But you should be defending the opposite:heh:.
My theory was proven wrong when he dusted off not 1, not 2, but 3 Whoracle songs for this tour, which if I'm correct, he only wrote the Swedish lyrics, which were then translated.

As for Jesper, being a band means you have to compromise, so if (now) 3 out of 4 (not including the drummer) members agree that SC rocks or whatever, he can't just say nah guys, we won't play anything from that record. It works both ways of course, so if the band would like to play every single song from SC, then if Jesper has a problem with that, then they should respect it, and find a middle ground.

My theory was proven wrong when he dusted off not 1, not 2, but 3 Whoracle songs for this tour, which if I'm correct, he only wrote the Swedish lyrics, which were then translated.

As for Jesper, being a band means you have to compromise, so if (now) 3 out of 4 (not including the drummer) members agree that SC rocks or whatever, he can't just say nah guys, we won't play anything from that record. It works both ways of course, so if the band would like to play every single song from SC, then if Jesper has a problem with that, then they should respect it, and find a middle ground.

Good that you changed your mind about it, since I always thought that is the way bands must behave.

Even if they are translated they are still technically his lyrics, though. Ultimately that's how he would have wanted them to appear in English.

You can see the difference between the lyrics on TJR (which I believe were written by Sundin, based on Anders' concepts?) and Whoracle. TJR's lyrics are, imo, fantastic, but they don't always go with the music. Sometimes Anders just misses out entire lines on the CD, or mixes words together because there's so many - an example being the line "Neanderthal hunger for the flesh of war so frail" in Graveland. You can hear him struggling with this line and a few others on these songs.

Whoracle's lyrics are still quite abstract but the sentences are tighter and go much better with the music. As Anders took more control over the lyrics and translation, it's obvious from the songs he's more comfortable doing the vocals too. I think that may explain the aversion Anders had, even in the earlier years, to playing TJR songs live. Vocally they seem much more demanding than anything after it.

TJR is kind of like an early In Flames record with early Dark Tranquillity lyrics. You find similar issues with DT's first record Skydancer, which Anders also did vocals on. Lots of words, beautifully structured prose, but hardly any time to fit it all into the music.

Lol how can someone even think Jesper would return to the band? He has a lot of personal problems, and he can't handle the tour life at all anymore, partly why he even left the band. And he isn't even interested in writing any melodic type of music whatsoever at the moment. Plus other stuff.

About the lyrics I can explain exactly for you guys how it is. Anders collaborated with Niklas on the storylines on TJR and Whoracle, yes, but Niklas came up and wrote ALL lyrics on TJR and singing melodies/rhythms and ALL lyrics on Whoracle except for Episode 666 where some verses was a reanalyzation of a text Anders wrote in Swedish along with a few singing melodies on the album too. And on Colony Niklas translated 4-5 songs from Swedish to English, so Colony is pretty much Anders with some translation help on a few songs, Clayman onward there is 100% Anders.

And yeah especially on TJR there's some weird pronunciation on some verses and words in some songs, basically like you said de4life, it's too much words for the verses with the speed of the songs so it's impossible at times to articulate all the words.

Lol how can someone even think Jesper would return to the band? He has a lot of personal problems, and he can't handle the tour life at all anymore, partly why he even left the band. And he isn't even interested in writing any melodic type of music whatsoever at the moment. Plus other stuff.

Hey, we were just doing some exercise of imagination, not that anyone thinks that could happen.

TJR is kind of like an early In Flames record with early Dark Tranquillity lyrics. You find similar issues with DT's first record Skydancer, which Anders also did vocals on. Lots of words, beautifully structured prose, but hardly any time to fit it all into the music.

Probably to everyone's surprise, but I actually really like Skydancer, aside from the sound quality which is what it is. The structure of the songs are really cool and Shadow Duet makes me wonder why didn't these Götheburg Gods or call them whatever you want collaborated more. IF can pick up some random chick occasionally to make a duet, but can't make a single collab song in 20 years, wtf?

Yeah, there's Self vs. Self which is good, but it's not what I'm talking about now.

Probably to everyone's surprise, but I actually really like Skydancer, aside from the sound quality which is what it is. The structure of the songs are really cool and Shadow Duet makes me wonder why didn't these Götheburg Gods or call them whatever you want collaborated more. IF can pick up some random chick occasionally to make a duet, but can't make a single collab song in 20 years, wtf?

Yeah, there's Self vs. Self which is good, but it's not what I'm talking about now.

I absolutely love Skydancer. The production may not be great and the song structures show immaturity, but you can really feel the vibe they were going for and lyrically it's probably the most impressive album I've come across. The only songs on the album I'm not keen on are Crimson Winds and My Faeryland Forgotten, although both again have incredible lyrics.

TJR is probably the closest you'll get to a collaboration, with Sundin doing lyrics and Anders fresh out of DT at that point. You also have the Trigger/Rejection Role music videos which were a pretty cool non-musical collab by In Flames and Soilwork.

I also prefer the Skydancer version of "Alone" to "Alone '94", but "Away, Delight, Away" from that same EP is another wonderful melodic death metal track. The early to mid-90's were a great time to be a fan of that style of music, before it became formulated and infected by metalcore.

Oh, and...

I have been told to honour life
And what therein I'll find
But if all I see is darkness,
Then let me die and wake up blind.
As the gleaming blade before me,
Sings lullabies of loss
Whispering "Death is your redeemer
To the Paradise you've lost"

Is probably my favourite lyrical verse ever. Powerful shit.

Funnily enough, another one of Sundin's lines from Whoracle is another of my absolute favourites...

We've only seen the outlines of the beginning,
At its core, the slowly moving raptor
Will make the very notion of hell
Seem celestial in comparison

Noooo, now this board doesn't look like [generic online forum circa ~2000]!!!

As for the lyrics, I never really looked up much of the older IF lyrics, because it's hard to appreciate the (possible) poetic beauty of it, when the singer chops up every single word. Obviously I looked up my favorites, like Moonshield or Jotun, but that's it. For the others, the vocals are a nice addition to the guitar and the melody.

I did, however, just looked up the lyrics for Square Nothing. It's nice IF started playing it on this tour, because it was one of those songs I listened to like 5 times all-together, and just completely forgot about it, but not only it sounds good, I dig the lyrics too.

Another concern of mine about the older lyrics are their themes. Environment, space (wtf), society. The latter wouldn't bother me, but the way they sometimes over-complicated the lyrics do - less can be more. No, I'm comfortable reading more thought-provoking lyrics than You question me? I question you!, or the over the top ""I feel like shit, But at least I feel something.", and I think Square Nothing is a good example to show a nice middle-ground. If you want to categorize it in a rude way, it belongs to the "emo shit" songs, but the lyrics do it justice. I like it!

It's true though that I'm more forgiving when it comes to songs about human feelings or relations, because it's just something everyone can relate to, and as serious environmental destruction is, I've never been awakened by a nightmare about trees being cut out. Abnegation is the golden standard for me when it comes to those kind of lyrics.

I love Worlds Within The Margin, but what the fuck are those lyrics. I'm not here to mock anyone who finds them beautiful, it's just that I don't understand half of the fucking words to begin with, let alone sit down and think about the meaning of them. And don't give me some kind of elitist-crap that these are what lyrics supposed to be, because it's for smart people, unlike the consumer-friendly ones. Even Freddy Mercury just wanted to ride his bicycle, and he's considered a legend and a true artist (whatever the fuck that means), yada-yada.

Anyway, I'm off to jerking off to my 3 new alerts. So fucking cool, I feel special! Oh, and see you on the European Championship eoachaid. I hope our countries meet, because I want to give you 3 points for absolutely free. Btw, does the new forum allows to do this?: @eochaid

EDIT: It fucking does!!! New forum 9/10, almost as good as Siren Charms! Unbelievable!!

I also hope none of you fuckers died in the Paris attacks. You are destined to read my quality posts for an eternity.

Anyway, I'm off to jerking off to my 3 new alerts. So fucking cool, I feel special! Oh, and see you on the European Championship eoachaid. I hope our countries meet, because I want to give you 3 points for absolutely free. Btw, does the new forum allows to do this?: @eochaid

EDIT: It fucking does!!! New forum 9/10, almost as good as Siren Charms! Unbelievable!!

I also hope none of you fuckers died in the Paris attacks. You are destined to read my quality posts for an eternity.

Althought i like the new forum design, nothing beats Siren Charms bro! I'll see our Spaniard bruh in group stages of World Cup (Turkey), hope we can kick their asses :p

And finally, here's something related to In Flames

12278696_912809208767839_2840526959059796818_n.jpg

Daniel made his final show with IF. I wonder who's gonna fill him..