In Flames New Album being released in Q2 of 2014 thread

Anders has already admitted he sucks at singing, but apparently doesn't give a fuck because conveying emotion is enough. It's a terrible attitude for a professional musician to have, but if there are enough stupid scene kids out there buying your shit regardless, why change?

You cannot convey emotions if you cannot sing, only at the studio qith a lot of "external work".

^Yes. They sell tix so who cares right? Plus Anders probably just likes being sociable(talking) and boozing a lot as most of us do... And it's been so long at this that there's no point in making any extra effort to improve singing when it has zero effect on the $ made.

Ordinary story 11:15

^Barely ever heard him sing the whole chorus. (usually skips the "gather the faithful" part)

Crawl Through Knives follows

*And I'd like to add as I've been saying on this forum the last year or so... Anders screams the old songs just fine and they sound awesome. No one ever said he had to scream like he did on the old records as that would be ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, the set they're playing right now is awesome and a lot of artists do it especially when they've already toured the same areas recently or do often.

It's cool they're doing this kind of show since they've already toured most of these places once and it's an awesome change-up for a second time around.
High-quality music is, once again, a rather subjective topic. Anything I'd write now would just result in the same endless circle-talk about Siren Charms. I, for one, don't get the love SOAPF gets for example. I don't dislike the record as much as I used to, but it's like a cleaner ASOP with more filler songs. Yes, A New Dawn has that string part in it. Wow? I guess it's cool, but the song itself is one of a million.

There is a thread somewhere under this one, when it was a topic of discussion that IF should play the entirety of TJR live.

IF is metal, but a commercially successful one. They have to cater for their commercial fans live as well, they can't just go out every night with the most random assed setlist. I never said I like that it has to be this way, but I learned to accept it. It's not like you and me could do anything to change it. Making music is passion, selling music is business. Live shows are 50%-50%.

And yes, they should do setlists more akin to their 2015 ones, but to be fair, their first tour in 2014 was THE European promotional tour for SC, so you have to play a bunch of songs from it, which takes up many space from the wild card songs.
Anders has already admitted he sucks at singing, but apparently doesn't give a fuck because conveying emotion is enough. It's a terrible attitude for a professional musician to have, but if there are enough stupid scene kids out there buying your shit regardless, why change?
It's kinda late, isn't it. Though it's not like the metal scene is filled with amazing singers. They sound quite generic, and let's not even mention the American metal scene, where it sounds like every band has the same singer.

It would've been fine if Anders worked to preserve his voice, nothing more. He could've still be around CC-level, if he gave a fuck.

High-quality music is, once again, a rather subjective topic.

It is not. Taste is subjective. Quality can be measured.

Anything I'd write now would just result in the same endless circle-talk about Siren Charms. I, for one, don't get the love SOAPF gets for example. I don't dislike the record as much as I used to, but it's like a cleaner ASOP with more filler songs. Yes, A New Dawn has that string part in it. Wow? I guess it's cool, but the song itself is one of a million.

You forgot the "that's my opinion" part.

Making music is passion, selling music is business. Live shows are 50%-50%.

Since both of them are connected, you should give them the same measure.

And yes, they should do setlists more akin to their 2015 ones, but to be fair, their first tour in 2014 was THE European promotional tour for SC, so you have to play a bunch of songs from it, which takes up many space from the wild card songs.

Agreed, but there is no need for the shows to be based on the last 3 albums.

It's kinda late, isn't it. Though it's not like the metal scene is filled with amazing singers. They sound quite generic, and let's not even mention the American metal scene, where it sounds like every band has the same singer.

It would've been fine if Anders worked to preserve his voice, nothing more. He could've still be around CC-level, if he gave a fuck.

It's not too late. It is never too late. There is only one reason for him trying to really improve his singing and not being able: if he does not have an ear for music, since that disqualifies people for singing.

Agreed with the rest of those last paragraphs.

Since ASOP, he's doing his "whiny singing", most probably because he is not comfortable with screaming anymore. I don't think it's THAT big of an effort to preserve your voice with the right technique, but to gain it back? Now that would require some serious entitlement from Anders, which at this point of his career he surely won't do.

I only read it from you guys that he destroyed his voice back then, about which I don't know much, but imagine if Anders would be capable of switching between growls, screams and his whiny singing. Could produce some interesting records and songs.

Since ASOP, he's doing his "whiny singing", most probably because he is not comfortable with screaming anymore.

Because he can't. At the end of the tours he was almost without a voice (to scream). But, that was due to your next sentence.

I don't think it's THAT big of an effort to preserve your voice with the right technique, but to gain it back? Now that would require some serious entitlement from Anders, which at this point of his career he surely won't do.

Exactly. And he won't do because he doesn't feel that he needs to. And that's a big mistake. He has plenty of time to improve his singing for real.

I only read it from you guys that he destroyed his voice back then, about which I don't know much, but imagine if Anders would be capable of switching between growls, screams and his whiny singing. Could produce some interesting records and songs.

Agreed.

Depends how many more albums he wants to make! I wouldn't say it's too late and would actually encourage him to try and improve. Singing in the wrong way can be damaging to the vocals too.

Yeah, he never worked to preserve his voice and he's paying for it now. The likes of Speed and Stanne both worked on their screaming techniques around the same time - 2002-ish - and both sound a lot better than Anders these days. Speed in particular is proof of what you can do if you actually put the effort in. He wasn't a great singer pre-2000, but he really took it seriously and sounds as good now as he ever has.

Noticed they swapped out Jotun with OFTW the last 3 shows. Hopefully they just mix it up, I wanna hear Jotun on Sunday :( But it feels more logical to play OFTW than Jotun from a general fan perspective which is maybe their reason but still.

Noticed they swapped out Jotun with OFTW the last 3 shows. Hopefully they just mix it up, I wanna hear Jotun on Sunday :( But it feels more logical to play OFTW than Jotun from a general fan perspective which is maybe their reason but still.

The blame is on Janne Niinimaa, a retired hockey player and a friend of the band, apparently. He had texted Björn and requested they play OFTW.

To have as beautiful clean singing voice as Speed, you need real talent. Practice too, but Anders would never come close to it, even if he has been practicing for 20 years.

To have as beautiful clean singing voice as Speed, you need real talent. Practice too, but Anders would never come close to it, even if he has been practicing for 20 years.

He doesn't need to be as anyone else, he just has to improve his voice and keep on being himself.

The blame is on Janne Niinimaa, a retired hockey player and a friend of the band, apparently. He had texted Björn and requested they play OFTW.

Lol cool story. Where'd you hear that? You know the Janne guy?

EDIT: Might be some truth to that since now after the Finnish snows (played two shows in Sweden so far) they have played Jotun again instead of OFTW both times. Fucking awesome if they keep it until Sunday then. I'm most pumped for Food For the Gods and Ordinary Story in general now though.

Btw guys here's a good finnish interview about lots of stuff.

By the way, according to setlist.fm Jotun was swapped out for OFTW only in Oulu.

Yeah that's what I said, they swapped it out at Oulu and the two following shows. Then they swapped back Jotun again.

What following 2 shows?

I'm seeing this at setlist.fm

Oct 16, Seinäjoki: Jotun
Oct 17, Oulu: OFTW
Oct 19. Norrköping: Jotun
Oct 20, Linnköping: [no complete set list available]
Oct 21, Trollhättan: Jotun

Yeah I mixed something up, must've had the 2 show before Oulu then, I remember seeing three consecutive shows, or I'm just blind and senile.

Good footage of Ordinary Story, still waiting for any footage whatsoever of Food For the Gods :(

Now that I really think of it, setlist.fm might have initially said "OFTW" for some show other than Oulu, too. Maybe it was an error and they corrected it. So you're not either blind or senile, necessarily. :)

Oh well, at any rate, I'm happy they're playing Jotun. Nothing against OFTW as a song but they've played it to death during the last 14-15 years... Wouldn't complain if they gave My Sweet Shadow a rest aswell.

Yeah, nice footage there. :kickass: