IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

It's pretty good imo. It's their Unia. I was hoping the followup would be their Days of Grays, but instead Battles turned out to be their Stones Grow Her Name. I, the Mask is their Pariah's Child.

I the Mask sounds like a lesser continuation to soapf. SC is a mess. No internal coherence. No structure. It is a collection of random failures poorly written and developed. The kind of album that would only be done by a band without a clear idea of what they want to create.

Reactions: DE4life
I agree. Siren Charms doesn't feel like a fully thought out project. Bjorn in particular didn't sound very inspired at all, whilst a lot of Anders' vocal lines don't really align with the instruments.

ITM is like SOAPF with less creativity, less authenticity and way more Howard Benson. It's better than what they were trying to do with SC or Battles, but still nowhere close to where they were 10 years ago, let alone before that.

Reactions: eochaid
SC could possibly be about Anders getting his alt.rock ideas out of the system.

Direct quote from him: "I think that 'Siren Charms' turned out exactly how I wanted it to be."

In another interview Björn talked about his AOR influences and how he let them "come more into surface" when writing SC so it looks like he is to blame as well.

(They are special).

If you're not convinced about your work, then, don't release it. Put more time and effort into it. If you're still not convinced then start from zero or just dismiss it and wait until you're ready to write something that you feel is good.

I've always felt that if Anders and Bjorn wanted to experiment they should have done it under a side project, rather than drag the In Flames brand name through the mud. If SC/Battles had been side projects with Benson and the California gang then fine, I'd still shit on them for being terrible albums but it wouldn't bother me in the same way it does when 'In Flames' is attached.

I find Siren Charms very boring. Even if I' the Mask has a few bad songs it's way more listenable than SC.

I think I don't like a single song of that

There are a few reasonable SC songs - mainly because they actually sound like they were properly thought out from beginning to end and, regardless of quality, are complete songs rather than stitched together monstrosities. Through Oblivion, With Eyes Wide Open and Dead Eyes. All slower/softer songs, none sound like In Flames, but at least they are put together properly.

The only two songs that I listen at are Rusted Nails (sometimes) and The Chase.

The first one has a vibe from soapf (album) though it has some defects that are stopping it from being a really good song.

Dead Eyes... I have tried listening to it a few times but the synths in the middle section is ruining it for me.

TO is basically the same riff played once and once again and I don't like how Anders sounds there. He seems to be struggling with his lower tones and not succeeding.

The Chase is one of my favorites. That outro :eek::eek::eek:

With Eyes joins Come Clarity and Evil in a Closet to form the holy trinity of IF ballads imo. That moment early on when everything but the clean guitar cuts out and Anders comes in with the "A fate that we deserve..."

FUUUUCK

There's nothing on Battles or ITM that reaches the level of even that song, imo, with the possible exception of the bridge in Deep Inside.

I just don't get the appeal. Sorry. I don't feel the emotion in any of those songs but I can feel it in Stay with Me despite being overproduced.

SC, simply, says nothing to me.

Anders' latest Instagram posts show him doing some musical work at Niels Nielsen's studio. :eek:

Not sure if it's new In Flames material -- though it would make sense, given Bjorn posted a month or two ago that he's been writing new stuff -- but maybe a silver lining to the COVID situation would be the inability to record with Howard Benson for Album Numero Fourteen.

The Chase is one of my favorites. That outro :eek::eek::eek:

With Eyes joins Come Clarity and Evil in a Closet to form the holy trinity of IF ballads imo. That moment early on when everything but the clean guitar cuts out and Anders comes in with the "A fate that we deserve..."

FUUUUCK

There's nothing on Battles or ITM that reaches the level of even that song, imo, with the possible exception of the bridge in Deep Inside.
With Eyes Wide Open is amazing but ITM does have All the Pain and Stay With Me, both excellent

I do like All the Pain despite it sounding like an early Adema song.

Actually, that's probably why I like it, because Adema was my introduction to "heavier" music and I have a soft spot for them.

Stay With Me is nice, but I think the novelty wore off for me after the first few listens. That's just me, though!

I'd say WEWO is my favourite song off Siren Charms by far. It's one of the only songs on SC that actually sounds structured and complete. Nice melodies, Anders' singing is fine, overall it's good.

All The Pain is solid for the most part, but as I've said before I would have ditched the chorus entirely and made the pre-chorus the actual chorus. I feel like the chorus totally disrupts the flow of the song.

I'd agree that Stay With Me gets a bit repetitive over time. Love, love, loved it at first, but it is lacking in creativity towards the end.

The only one that I actually enjoy is The Chase. Good catchy song. Should have been the closing song and one of the singles.