IN FLAMES new album being released on 1st March, 2019

I guess he'll have to find a US-based band who either have no plans to ever tour globally or who are happy to find a touring replacement for him every time they go outside of the US. Good luck. At least Bill Gates can't track your movements bruh.

Reactions: eochaid
I mean hey, it could be like how Faust played some live shows with Emperor but couldn't tour anywhere that required a VISA, so they had Trym play drums for the shows he couldn't make. Of course, Faust's problem was that he was a convicted murderer, but you get what I'm saying. :D

Yeah, I don't think Anders & Bjorn are going to give Bryce special treatment considering, by Bjorn's own admission, "anyone can play our stuff".

Bjorn's always been really self-deprecating, from interviews to the guitar lessons he's done. Stuff like "I'm going to try to show you how to play this" and "since you're (the viewer) actually talented, you can make this sound better than I did, ha ha ha." And how he's always described himself as a drummer who "sucked but happened to suck less than Jesper," despite being pretty decent. I don't think there's anything more to it.

Well, he can say whatever he wants about his own work but he should think what his words mean, or could mean, for other people.

Bryce Paul is talented, he could make it work. He could join the cover band, Panhandle Pantera, and play local bars every weekend. Probably would make even more money than IF, in the summer anyway.

But he's so nice that he prefers to help this band with stuff that anyone could play. He's an anti-vaxxer with a heart.

Even without Bryce, what do the Americans think?

Is In Flames a “red state band” for conservatives at this point? 10 years ago beards and craft breweries were hipster, mostly associated with those leaning politically left.

Now in 2021? Is the average In Flames fan a Trump voter?

I would imagine not. Most Trumpers seem to think any band that isn't from the U.S. is "gay." The pro-America metal is where they're comfortable. Five Finger Death Punch and the like. They also seem to love Lamb of God, which is amusing since Randy Blythe (along with most, if not all of the band) is as left as they come. I think their music just appeals to the redneck meatheads who happen to be Trump supporters. Until In Flames releases an Aaron Lewis cover, I think they're in the clear.

Eh, if he refuses to get vaccinated, he won't be able to do his job as a bass player for In Flames. From a strictly business standpoint, the other members will have to put their collective foot down when the time comes so they can get back to touring. Personally I think his days in the band are numbered -- he won't be able to just wait out the pandemic.

Come to think of it, has In Flames ever fired a band member, as opposed to those members leaving of their own volition? I know Dark Tranquillity hasn't been afraid to kick people out before.

With countries like France enforcing the vaccines by law, people won't be allowed to enter into many common places without being vaccinated, he's going to have a hard time. There are also, I think that I'm not wrong, countries that ask for a vaccination "passport" to foreigners.

In the UK we are going to be required to have proof of vaccine just to enter events. I assume musicians will need to have the same.

The main measure here is that they will look at us with reprobation if we don't behave property.

In my region, they require a negative PCR test or proof of vaccination to enter any pub. They're considering to restrict the number of people (not living under the same roof) between 6-10 people (exteriors and interiors) while they're putting no restrictions in the village with the higher rates because is the main place for tourists in the whole region.

In the meantime, the Major from my city declared that he's not going to allow people to break the rules, which means that he's going to be really disappointed at us while actually doing nothing.

But Portugal is requiring proof of vaccination to enter the country. Which means that Paul cannot enter into the country.

Also, there have been a few experimental shows with masks, social distancing and antigen tests. Of course, none of this worked (because people did not wear masks or kept the distance). So, the result is a show with 20000 attendants and 1000 (so far) people infected.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, has In Flames ever fired a band member, as opposed to those members leaving of their own volition? I know Dark Tranquillity hasn't been afraid to kick people out before.

I can't think of anyone.

There's been some speculation whether Jesper was kicked out, but some months ago I read a Swedish interview (from 2012 I think) with Peter and Björn where they touched upon the issue. They were asked how did the discussions about Jesper's departure go. They said as they were completing the ASOP tour without Jesper, they were hoping that he would seek help in the meantime, but after the tour was finished it was clear he hadn't got any better. Then the rest of the band started talking about it and came to the conclusion they cannot any longer afford to be in a position where one can never be sure if one of the guitarists is able to perform or not. However, they didn't want to kick Jesper out, "especially him being the one who started the band in the first place." So they were planning to give him an ultimatum, to tell him "Look, you cannot be in the band if you drink that much. You need to get help and bring it under control. Or otherwise we have no other option than to ask you to leave the band." They were hoping it would trigger a reaction in Jesper, a reaction like "Oh shit, if I don't shape up I might to have to leave my own band!" that would motivate him to clean up his act. But before they could deliver the ultimatum Jesper announced he's quitting.

As for the rest...

Early days guys who came and went Stanne, Forss, Anders Iwers, Näslund were only session musicians.
Johan Larsson quit playing bass altogether.
Glenn wanted a "normal" job with fixed income to provide for his family.
Niclas originally left because he was too busy with his other band Gardenian at the time.
Daniel left because of family reasons.
Peter left because he was done with the whole touring lifestyle and wanted to do something different.
Joe Rickard had some back problems I think, and preferred not to do long tours.
Then there was some Swedish bassist called Håkan, was he meant to be a just temporary replacement?

(Did I forget someone?)

Of course, based on what Peter and Björn said, had Jesper not left on his own accord, and had he continued to be unreliable, it's quite possible he would've been ultimately fired.

EDIT: Added info on Niclas.

Last edited:
@Jabi Interesting write-up about the Jesper situation. Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware until recently that issues with alcohol were why he ultimately left The Resistance, too.

Then there was some Swedish bassist called Håkan, was he meant to be a just temporary replacement?

Håkan Skoger from Passenger (and Gardenian, apparently), yeah. He was just helping them on their European tour at the time.

The entire Passenger Dream Team was nearly back together. Just needed Patrik Sten on drums.