In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

This testicle, watch it collapse.
It's not a false alarm, the asses settle in.
*solo*

This testicle, watch it collapse.
It's not a false alarm, the asses settle in.
*solo*

Pffffhahahahah! :lol: So fuckin' righteous! I applaud you Clayman :worship: Wonder if there are any 'testicles' or 'I-scream' in SOAPF? :yuk:

Shadow King, seriously, most of us think A New Dawn is so awesome BECAUSE of that massive, epic interlude. I'm a big fan of instrumental interludes- especially when pulled off well. And having only listened to it once in crappy quality, i feel it's pulled off well. You obviously aren't familiar with prog rock/metal? :erk:

Here's my two cents about the new Flames album:

Personally, A Sense Of Purpose is my absolute favorite album by In Flames, I've followed the band for a very, very long time, yet for the majority of their later releases, I've felt they were a "great singles" band with a few other good songs on each album. Not a band to buy albums from. But ASOP was the album that I listen to straight through and I continue to do so till this day. It brings so much inspiration to me that I can't even describe, I loved Anders' lyrical and vocal direction, I loved the band's new sense of tight songwriting with dense and playful keys, and the experiments that ASOP had were to die for. The Chosen Pessimist, Condemned, Sober, and Disconnected are some of my favorite songs in In Flames' entire career. I even loved Alex Pardee's amazing artwork!

Now, with the new album, I obviously hoped things would stay the same. And they obviously did, with a few exceptions. I personally don't like the new artwork as much, to me, it looks a bit cheap and bland (I felt like Alex should have done this one again, imagine the color!). And in some ways, I feel like the new songs reflect this blandness. Deliver Us, while holding an amazing ASOP-esque chorus, felt conjumbled and bland to me. It seemed more like a demo. And the title track to SOAPF just felt horridly messy and not well composed in the vocal stylings (though instrumentally, the song was refreshing). However, my favorite song so far is indeed A New Dawn; sadly, like the two songs before it, the song seems very messy and very underproduced (ASOP was 'choatic', but well produced), making the details very hard to make out and scarce, but I feel like the song still shines brightly with the emotional chorus and the truly amazing violin section (though I wish Anders' vocals during this section were real, instead of a 'copy and paste' from the chorus - this is so unlike Anders', he usually records separate tracks even for each chorus.) Overall, so far, the new album seems average.

I just felt that ASOP was a very hard album to pick a single from (and I still think Disconnected would have been the best single of all for that release) because all the songs were extremely equal and all so grand. But I believe Sounds will be more like previous In Flames albums; the singles will probably stand out a bit more than the rest, even if slightly. I think this album will have a lot more experiments, but I do hope that it comes together and creates something emotionally impacting rather than just experimenting for the sake of it.

Yeah everybody got its taste, but this seems like trolling sometimes :rofl: ASOP was pretty uninspired and somehow unfinished. Music itself was not bad at all, but the production was flat and weak. Only bad thing I would say about the music is that the solos were sooooooo short... The main issue of that album were the vocals, which were just plain poor. Definitely Anders worst vocal performance on an album ever. No screaming, no singing... it's even hard to name it, most people say it was just whining. The most experimental song on that album, which had much potential was just destroyed by the vocals, I really like that song, but I just can't stand Anders. I have no idea what was he thinking, maybe he was in a bad vocal condition, I don't know but when you compare these vocals with Dawn Of A New Day or Come Clarity, the quality gap is huge. About the artwork... worst IF artwork ever also, looks like cartoon for children of gay parade advertisement. So far every song from SOAPF seems to be a lot better than ASOP, which makes me happy. Also it seems that Anders learned his lesson couse the vocals improved a lot, A New Dawn is a perfect example of that.

Oh and the lyrics were pretty poor also...

Taotrac, many people will disagree with you here but it's easy to respect your opinion. At one stages ASOP and Come Clarity were my favourite albums, with Reroute to Remain being my least favourite. But it seems, as a listener, i have matured. I can respect that ASOP is a textbook on modern melodic metal, with Anders producing some catchy vocals. But i want more energy and a darker feel from In Flames (there are enough generic turds out there already)- the unique feel that In Flames can bring (and DO bring on SOAPF's title track, that intro just gives me chills :headbang: ).

I have to 100% disagree that ASOP has better production than the 3 new songs. ASOP was overproduced. The vocals were layered over each other so much that what was left was a yelling-scream with a whiney sung melody behind it. This can't be pulled off live, and when combined with the lyrics (that were mostly dull in my eyes), the album becomes a compilation of uninspired 3-minute tracks. I accept that others might find the lyrics more appealing, if that's any comfort ahah :p

For me, the 3 songs so far are PERFECT. They combine some old-school leads with the newer-type riffs, and Anders vocals and lyrics are hugely improved. No filler, much more active creativity from the band. :Spin:

First time posting here, and I like that it seems most everybody is pretty respectful of everyone's opinion. So, I won't really spend time trying to convince people that my opinion is right because it's just my opinion, not fact. But I do want to say to Dantess9226 that I'm pretty sure only the choruses on ASOP were vocally layered. As for what the layering does to the sound and whether you like it or not (personally, i liked it) is obviously opinion, but I will say that I disagree with you when it comes to them being performed live. I saw them in '09 and, to me, they were the best choruses because they sounded like they do on the album; multiple voices. So when I listen to the songs I can easily imagine them live again because it just has that feel to me. I'm not trying to sound sarcastic or like a d-bag in anyway, so please, just take my first few posts with a grain of salt in terms of my tone.

I also want to point out that, although I haven't read all the posts, I'm pretty sure no one has suggested these lyrics for SOAPF yet: instead of "Reach inside another playing come-around it answers" I am completely hearing this: "Reach inside, numb the pain, come around with answers." Thoughts?

I think is the worst video ever from In Flames. Well I miss the old time like The Jester Race, Colony...
Kind of a retarded thing to say seeing as you are born in 1994, you mean you miss the old times when you were rocking out to TJR at age 2 ? =/

About Alex Pardee doing the artwork: Anders actually asked him but he was very busy and had other projects so he couldn't, but Alex's manager recommended another great dude and also a friend on Alex which ended up doing the artwork for the album.

First time posting here, and I like that it seems most everybody is pretty respectful of everyone's opinion. So, I won't really spend time trying to convince people that my opinion is right because it's just my opinion, not fact. But I do want to say to Dantess9226 that I'm pretty sure only the choruses on ASOP were vocally layered. As for what the layering does to the sound and whether you like it or not (personally, i liked it) is obviously opinion, but I will say that I disagree with you when it comes to them being performed live. I saw them in '09 and, to me, they were the best choruses because they sounded like they do on the album; multiple voices. So when I listen to the songs I can easily imagine them live again because it just has that feel to me. I'm not trying to sound sarcastic or like a d-bag in anyway, so please, just take my first few posts with a grain of salt in terms of my tone.

I also want to point out that, although I haven't read all the posts, I'm pretty sure no one has suggested these lyrics for SOAPF yet: instead of "Reach inside another playing come-around it answers" I am completely hearing this: "Reach inside, numb the pain, come around with answers." Thoughts?

That lyric line is definitely correct.

Welcome to the forum, nice first post. Yeah i get that they CAN pull them off live- just why bother having dubbed-over vocals playing through speakers when you could just sing the chorus (like the choruses were sung in Come Clarity, a la Crawl Through Knives) or scream the chorus (Vanishing Light) in the studio. This would also save on production and make for a 'cleaner' sound.

Regarding the lyrics: you're right, that was the one piece of the title tracks lyrics that were wrong. Not sure about "Come around with answers" but i forgot to correct them earlier- it is definitely "Reach inside, Numb the pain".

About Alex Pardee doing the artwork: Anders actually asked him but he was very busy and had other projects so he couldn't, but Alex's manager recommended another great dude and also a friend on Alex which ended up doing the artwork for the album.

Thank fuck for that.

They should go back to using Andreas Marschall... the Whoracle and Colony covers are fucking great.

Does anyone know where to preorder the deluxe box set edition in the U.S.? I haven't found any site yet. Also, I have most of the lyrics, I think, for A New Dawn but am having a lot of trouble with Deliver Us. Anyone here able to get more than what's online already?

Does anyone know where to preorder the deluxe box set edition in the U.S.? I haven't found any site yet. Also, I have most of the lyrics, I think, for A New Dawn but am having a lot of trouble with Deliver Us. Anyone here able to get more than what's online already?
I have done most of the lyric deciphering for all 3 current songs that are out/leaked. Just go back a few pages, to like page 15ish or somewhere there around.