Instrumentals

My point is, Id feel a bit daft arguing with someone about their lyrics, trying to tell them that the real meaning doesnt matter because I wanna interpret it differently. "No, Roger Waters, if I say 'The Thin Ice' is about Prince Charles and Dianas wedding then it is, I DONT CARE WHAT YOU MEANT!!!"
That mentality is a bit crap really, especially when people are fanatical about songs but still dont have any respect for what they're actually about. The mind boggles..

You're not telling us who Angelica is, how could we know who "Angelica" is actually about? I don't wanna interpret the song differently, but I have no other choice. I don't figure how you could expect anyone to know what it's actually about.

Maqus said:
You're not telling us who Angelica is, how could we know who "Angelica" is actually about? I don't wanna interpret the song differently, but I have no other choice. I don't figure how you could expect anyone to know what it's actually about.
Cos its made out of words, simple enough.

Strangelight said:
My point is, Id feel a bit daft arguing with someone about their lyrics, trying to tell them that the real meaning doesnt matter because I wanna interpret it differently. "No, Roger Waters, if I say 'The Thin Ice' is about Prince Charles and Dianas wedding then it is, I DONT CARE WHAT YOU MEANT!!!"
That mentality is a bit crap really, especially when people are fanatical about songs but still dont have any respect for what they're actually about. The mind boggles..
i agree. but i still think its nice that people can interpret songs in different ways
(though the writer of course is the only one who knows exactly what theyre about).

Strangelight said:
My point is, Id feel a bit daft arguing with someone about their lyrics, trying to tell them that the real meaning doesnt matter because I wanna interpret it differently.
bingo.gif

Goin and making up your own meanings never made sense to me. Like obviously the song was wrote about something. Just ask the guy/girl who wrote it.

That's what I've been doing for a couple of posts now concerning Angelica :tickled:

Btw, what if the author is dead? Who am I supposed to ask then?

breaklose said:
what about people who stick to their wrong interpretation, even tho you told them the right one?
i wasnt defending those people. it would be plain stupid to argument against facts. what i meant was that its great when songs can be interpreted in other ways than exactly what the writer intended, doesnt mean you should claim to know better.