intel i7 980x

The idle temperatures rise for about a good 30 mins, Joey. So as soon as you boot up, provided your CPU hasn't done anything intensive, it will be showing lower figures to what it will actually be running at when it 'warms up'. All that aside, your temperatures are fine for what you are running, and this system should last you a long time.

What's this deal with C states and speed step? I normally disable all the power handling features in my BIOS, but is there anything specific I should know about?

Yeah joey, I had a laptop computer that would rise in temperatures during 2 hours, until it was so hot the system would just "clean reset". You should stress your computer to 90% of Cpu staticly, and see how go your temperatures, because that would be how would go your heaviest mixes in the last year of use of this machine (just a guess).

The idle temperatures rise for about a good 30 mins, Joey. So as soon as you boot up, provided your CPU hasn't done anything intensive, it will be showing lower figures to what it will actually be running at when it 'warms up'. All that aside, your temperatures are fine for what you are running, and this system should last you a long time.

What's this deal with C states and speed step? I normally disable all the power handling features in my BIOS, but is there anything specific I should know about?

sorry for lack of info

the computer was on for an hour before i took note of temperature and volume of fans running

you should disable c state if you dont want your cpu to "go to sleep" ever (which is the case with a daw)

speed step needs to also be disabled because it can allow the processor to underclock its self when it thinks nothing intensive is going on. this can happen while recording audio and cause an audible pop or glitch.

same goes with the hault command

Yeah joey, I had a laptop computer that would rise in temperatures during 2 hours, until it was so hot the system would just "clean reset". You should stress your computer to 90% of Cpu staticly, and see how go your temperatures, because that would be how would go your heaviest mixes in the last year of use of this machine (just a guess).

yeah i already have two sessions that i can barely playback but bounce just fine, on my old system

i plan to install everything, transfer that session over, and then see how the stress does

i honestly dont think it will stress that hard because my old system is:

intel core 2 quad q6600 @ 2.4 ghz 4-core 32 bit windows xp, 3.25 GB ram dual channel memory

new system is:

intel i7 980x @ 3.33 ghz 6-core w/ HT 64 bit windows 7, 6 gb triple channel memory

can't wait to have VST's all over the place in real time.

i want to run my XMP profile on my memory (i have the dominator pack), but my bios warns me that going over 1.65 v is dangerous according to the intel spec (can ruin processor)

im not sure what i need to do to run the XMP safely.

computer noob question, but do you guys have an easy link to how you changed all this stuff in the bios for the power handling and all that? I have disabled my page file and I can change power handling parameters from the control panel and all that, but if there is "deeper editing" I can do to gain some power and lower my CPU usage, I'd be interested to know where I could go to learn more.

computer noob question, but do you guys have an easy link to how you changed all this stuff in the bios for the power handling and all that? I have disabled my page file and I can change power handling parameters from the control panel and all that, but if there is "deeper editing" I can do to gain some power and lower my CPU usage, I'd be interested to know where I could go to learn more.

these days its pretty intuitive, as long as you know how to enter the bios

you just get into the bios, and find cpu settings

there's more info about what the settings do specifically found in the INTEL data sheet for your processor

you can also go to computer enthusiasts sites to find more info (toms hardware for example)

http://www.tomshardware.com/us/#redir
http://www.hardocp.com/
http://www.anandtech.com/
http://www.intel.com/

also check the documentation for your motherboard.

well, in my case it's a laptop, and I've never manipulated the BIOS on any computer.

But I think I'm about at the end of my laptops usability for me these days, as glitches in the audio are becoming more apparent as my session sizes and needs have increased. I can get through just fine using my interface, but I also mix and/or edit without the interface sometimes and it doesn't always work out like I want.

thanks for the links.

well, in my case it's a laptop, and I've never manipulated the BIOS on any computer.

But I think I'm about at the end of my laptops usability for me these days, as glitches in the audio are becoming more apparent as my session sizes and needs have increased. I can get through just fine using my interface, but I also mix and/or edit without the interface sometimes and it doesn't always work out like I want.

thanks for the links.

you should also check out DPC latency checker, which will show you how often you get interrupted enough to cause a glitch

there's another app that allows you to fix what dpc shows you, link:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=30896

thanks for the links.

entering the bios involves pressing a key repeatedly on cold boot (turning on from complete off, wake from sleep or hibernation is not a cold boot)

for my desktop, its the delete key. i hit delete over and over right after turning the computer on until it says "entering bios"

some computers its the f10, f2, or f12 key.

entering the bios involves pressing a key repeatedly on cold boot (turning on from complete off, wake from sleep or hibernation is not a cold boot)

for my desktop, its the delete key. i hit delete over and over right after turning the computer on until it says "entering bios"

some computers its the f10, f2, or f12 key.

Ah, so I guess I have entered the BIOS before, haha o_O, but I've always done it when following instructions, not because I knew myself what I was doing.

I've used the DPC latency checker and I get some yellow spikes at constant intervals. Upgrading to Windows 7 fixed a LOT of those (I was getting red spikes more frequently, now only get yellow). I've disabled the paging file and also many unused items in the Device Manager and also streamlined startup and such through msconfig.

I've never really had a problem before, but as time goes on and I learn (and buy) more plugins, I've seen my track counts and plugin counts go much higher.

Reading all the stats in this thread have me crying myself to sleep with all that you can do with these new i7's. I just want to eek out a bit more performance from my C2D T5200...sigh

Joey, overclock your ram manually bud. It will overclock plenty without boosting past 1.65v I expect. You need to find yourself a sweet ratio. I know your processor will easily hit 4ghz on 1.35v, do it you power hungry whore :D.

Probably a dumb question, but did you use the stock thermal pad on the heat sink?

If so, definitely remove the thermal pad and apply some thermal paste. I've used Arctic Silver 5 and it lowered my idle temps by about 10C. AS5, Arctic MX-3, OCZ freeze, etc. Can also apply to your vid cards.

And if thats still not enough, there are ways to use copper blocks to increase heat sink effectiveness.

But liquid cooling would be the best choice. Lower temps, and no chance of any fan noise ever.

Probably a dumb question, but did you use the stock thermal pad on the heat sink?

If so, definitely remove the thermal pad and apply some thermal paste. I've used Arctic Silver 5 and it lowered my idle temps by about 10C. AS5, Arctic MX-3, OCZ freeze, etc. Can also apply to your vid cards.

And if thats still not enough, there are ways to use copper blocks to increase heat sink effectiveness.

But liquid cooling would be the best choice. Lower temps, and no chance of any fan noise ever.

i used the stock heat sink + paste

i bought the extreme version so i wouldn't need to overlock my cpu and cause unecessary stress in a working environment

buying at low cost and overlocking means paying more for cooling treatments, taking up much more space, and being exposed to new risks

to me, the cons outweigh the pros with that mentality. so i pay a little extra and i dont need a special HSFU, or special paste... also i don't need a big radiator / i dont have to deal with a loud computer in an environment that's supposed to be quiet.

so water cooling really doesn't solve anything to me.

at any rate, i got the computer operating exactley how i want right now. 2700 well spent!

$10 for "special" paste (artic silver 5) and about $50-60 for a decent cooler is definitely cheaper than spending an extra $500 for a processor thats way over priced. It's a bad ass processor nonetheless. I bought a phenom ii x3 720 for $100 and unlocked the 4th core and boosted it to like 1.4volts and clocked it to 3.6ghz. Point is i got a phenom ii 965 + 200 mhz for $80 less. If you wanna drop your cpu temps get rid of that stock paste and put some as5 on it. It'll definitely help and probably quiet your shit down.You can also buy some acoustic foam to put up in that shit to kill the sound quite a bit. Put rubber spacers on all your fans and psu. Point is try and eliminate all vibrations. You can also get rubber feet to decouple it from the floor / desk or wherever you have it. It's amazing how simple stuff like that helps.

$10 for "special" paste (artic silver 5) and about $50-60 for a decent cooler is definitely cheaper than spending an extra $500 for a processor thats way over priced. It's a bad ass processor nonetheless. I bought a phenom ii x3 720 for $100 and unlocked the 4th core and boosted it to like 1.4volts and clocked it to 3.6ghz. Point is i got a phenom ii 965 + 200 mhz for $80 less. If you wanna drop your cpu temps get rid of that stock paste and put some as5 on it. It'll definitely help and probably quiet your shit down.You can also buy some acoustic foam to put up in that shit to kill the sound quite a bit. Put rubber spacers on all your fans and psu. Point is try and eliminate all vibrations. You can also get rubber feet to decouple it from the floor / desk or wherever you have it. It's amazing how simple stuff like that helps.

ive done everything you said here

computer is quiet as buck

hey joey...

a little OT here, but i'd definitely be interested in buying your old PC if/when you decide to sell it...drop a PM my way whenever you know what you want for it

also, i was wondering if you could maybe PM me your phone # again - my phone died and i lost all my contacts, and need some guitar work done here pretty soon, and i def. trust your pops more than anyone else in the area!

Sorry if this is a dumb question but i was wondering what the advantages of installing your applications on another drive would be? and just leaving your os on another

Depends on the app, but in the case of something has a ton of data files that have to be loaded (ie Superior Drummer) you can put it on a dedicated/faster drive and not have it fight the OS for other stuff it might be doing like swapping or writing WAV's as it records.