(intentional?) melody in mike's growling

Yoda said:
Shit man, I've been sitting staring at your sig here. Well done.

Haha, anyhow. Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that Mike's meaning to do the whole melody and pitch-changing thing, though I don't really know whether he'd know what degree's he's moving and all of that which you mentioned (minor 3rds etc..). But hey, it really wouldn't suprise me if he knew exactly what he was doing, and that would be really cool.
But considering Mike didn't know the name of the first chord in Drapery, I dunno (I can't name it now either, so I'm not being a cunt with that).

Haha, I find myself doing that too. My back hurt a bit after lying like that for about 10 minutes.

I was going to mention the chord in Drapery, but you beat me to it. But for all we know Mikael's learnt a buckletoad of theory since then. Either way, I seriously doubt he'd intentionally change a growl using theoretical knowledge rather than just doing it by ear. I don't see why anybody would bother.

when i listen to certain sections, i hear it in one listen, then i don't in the other. there are certain parts that i am sure are intentional...like the wreath part. but, i was listening to the rest of the song, and there seems to be melody everywhere. i'm seriously wondering if i have made myself a bit more crazy. i'm 100% sure that mike makes the sounds that he is making on purpose...but to what extent? a single line melody is not very hard to pick out. but sometimes, in order to hear a constant melody in his growl, i feel like i have to almost...i dunno...force myself to hear it? aahhh, its really bugging me.

i have an idea...i'm going to try to dictate the melody that i hear in the entire song of wreath...i'll post it (somehow)...and can someone see if they hear the same? i would really appreciate it. i'm going to need therapy if i don't figure this out. i mean, we have established that he is obviously changing pitch on purpose...thats sort of a no-brainer...but his growls are so complex...and i have to listen very closely for a certain part of his growl (the softer, gargly part) in order to hear it.

right now, for me, its like hearing all of his clean vocals, but not quite being able to pick out what the notes are. ahhhhhh!!!!! :yow: :confused: :Spin: :loco: :cry: :ill: o_O :confused: maybe i should try some different speakers, or some good headphones.

JoeVice said:
when i listen to certain sections, i hear it in one listen, then i don't in the other. there are certain parts that i am sure are intentional...like the wreath part. but, i was listening to the rest of the song, and there seems to be melody everywhere. i'm seriously wondering if i have made myself a bit more crazy. i'm 100% sure that mike makes the sounds that he is making on purpose...but to what extent? a single line melody is not very hard to pick out. but sometimes, in order to hear a constant melody in his growl, i feel like i have to almost...i dunno...force myself to hear it? aahhh, its really bugging me.

i have an idea...i'm going to try to dictate the melody that i hear in the entire song of wreath...i'll post it (somehow)...and can someone see if they hear the same? i would really appreciate it. i'm going to need therapy if i don't figure this out. i mean, we have established that he is obviously changing pitch on purpose...thats sort of a no-brainer...but his growls are so complex...and i have to listen very closely for a certain part of his growl (the softer, gargly part) in order to hear it.

right now, for me, its like hearing all of his clean vocals, but not quite being able to pick out what the notes are. ahhhhhh!!!!! :yow: :confused: :Spin: :loco: :cry: :ill: o_O :confused: maybe i should try some different speakers, or some good headphones.

good luck on ure wild goose chase/witch hunt...!!!!!........refer to my previous post...!!!!......PEAC EOUT

joe...listen to Beneath the Mire and Rainroom by Katatonia for more easily distinguishable examples.

its not that much of a phenomenon though. We have pitch when we talk/whisper. I am between A# and B in the bass clef at normal speaking going up to G for inflection.
If I were gay, i'd be about a middle C.

don't sweat it man

yah, i have been picking out a lot of melodies in his growls that i didn't hear for a long time. his growls are harmonically complex...i think thats the word for it...there are tons of melodies/harmonies just in one growl...its almost like a flanger, without the swirling/phasing effect.

JoeVice said:
yah, i have been picking out a lot of melodies in his growls that i didn't hear for a long time. his growls are harmonically complex...i think thats the word for it...there are tons of melodies/harmonies just in one growl...its almost like a flanger, without the swirling/phasing effect.

Ah, like those monks who can use their true and "false" vocal chords simultaneously and sound like demons. perhaps you are right and mike is growling in chords...with the help of satan off course. :heh:

omglol yeah, they stole my nick for their new single :erk:

no, actually i love PJ and once i heard the rumor they had a new song with that name i thought it was cool and stole it from them :erk: btw... the new album rules, don't be fooled by that crappy single :erk: which by the way is my nick :erk:

westknife said:
well, obviously mikael is jesus and can do anything, but i really doubt he is consciously controlling the pitch of his growl, aside from general "lower vs. higher" changes

no, i think that he does it. read my first post, listen to the section that i described, and tell me if you hear it too.

NO Tubbs, you're wrong... it has the PJ feeling, that's true... but it's heavier than what they have released for the last 10 years... in my opinion it's the best they've done since Vs., maybe ten

Braighs said:
Ah, like those monks who can use their true and "false" vocal chords simultaneously and sound like demons. perhaps you are right and mike is growling in chords...with the help of satan off course. :heh:

that stuff is amazing. i read about the fundementals behind that, and its pretty cool. and yah, i guess the growls are alot like that. i can whistle and hum at the same time, so i can harmonize with myself. its pretty tough though.

no, i think that in this case, 'vocal chords' is a pretty subjective term. i think that the actual vocal chords in our throat have their own term. if we used our anus to communicate, it would be our voice...:erk: