Growling tips?

Here is where you can find a sample of my death growls (as well as some videogame tunes I've covered): http://myspace.com/themesongman . The song with the death metal vocals is "Mark's Gay Theme Song".

I have other, slightly less polished tracks as well where my high screams can also be heard, as well as some variations on my death growls. Tracks to listen to: Love Song for Mary (starts out as a goofy barbershop quartet, then some death vocals w/an Arsis song); Zachary's Theme (which is completely schizo).

http://www.hxcmp3.com/bands/12455/index.php

And finally, here's a track where I try out some Cephalic Carnage style grind vocals: http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0TKQQZDE26W7P0Z1BWZZQA0GSZ

Dude, nice vocals. I have a question, how do you practice growlng longer. The longest I've made are 7 seconds, thats nothing. How can I "upgrade" my growl to like 15 seconds? Are there any breathing techniques I am not aware of?

Alexis said:
Hahaha, this worked for me when I first began to learn Dutch. The 'G' and 'SCH' are kind of like growling. Seriously.
does that mean all dutch people are dogs?

Some awesome advice on here, Ive been trying to growl for months but had absolutely no idea what the fuck I was doing. Helps alot.
I CAN GROWL.

I'm trying to learn how to growl... It's not easy. I've been working with a aouple of arch enemy songs....

Are there any techniques that you do differently as a female?

i was reading an interview with mike. when asked about how he growls, he said, "i don't know, i just do it. i just scream, and thats how it comes out."

genetics definetely go into play.

Towedwart said:
Genetics interfere with everything!

...but with some proper nurture, or is that a result of the path of genetics?

but really, mike has a very deep and resonant voice. when he talks, it comes from the chest...it is deep, but has that sharp buzz. i'll be that when he coughs, it sounds like he has the crupe. some people have this kind of voice, and some don't. i have as friend who has a voice like this. if he tried, i'll bet that he could growl well.

i have a low voice in pitch...but i don't have much access to my chest. so, i can never achieve that kind of resonance. i can picture what it feels like though...i just don't have it.

Did you guys ever have a hard time with wanting to cough after a growling session, when you first began? I have done a few tunes with death vox before (most of my stuff is instrumental though) and I almost thru-up after a while from the coughing:ill: Do you eventually get past that point?

I have no problem growling at band practices, but when it gets to the point when my throat gets so painful and disables me ability to talk. Usually a sip of water helps, but then I'd have to wait a while before i can growl again.

x_blackangel_x said:
I have no problem growling at band practices, but when it gets to the point when my throat gets so painful and disables me ability to talk. Usually a sip of water helps, but then I'd have to wait a while before i can growl again.
You're definately doing something wrong and you need to stop whatever technique you're doing before you do serious damage. You should absolutely NOT be hurting your throat to the point where you can't even talk.