Into Eternity - Buried In Oblivion

V.V.V.V.V.

Houses Ov Mercury
Jan 20, 2004
Dracut, MA
I figure I'll post this here so I can get comments. It can be found originally by going to the 'My Reviews' link in my signature and finding the corresponding link.

Ahem.

This album is kind of confusing, but overall it transcends (and rises above; sure) all of this weird mind-boggling junk and manages to come out very successful in its mission: to make some headbanging, riffing, technical/progressive METALCORE. This album is basically metalcore with a TON of groove, a bit of technicality, and a lot of harmonizing. Sure there are the standard death metal-ish grunts/screams, but there's also some cool black/death style stuff (especially on Embraced By Desolation). The thing that REALLY shines on this album are the clean vocals. From the beginning of the first track's incessant prog-groove, and then the arrival of clean vocals, you can sort of make a guess that this isn't going to be your average metalcore.

First of all on our list of stuff to talk about, is the guitars. Roth is a GREAT guitarist, and the leads could NOT be better in this atmosphere. Some of the stuff is extremely pretentious right here, such as the aforementioned intro to track 1. It's great, don't get me wrong, but it's basically showing off. But, in any case, the guitars couldn't do a better job.

Drums...the drums are tight as hell. There are some cool fills, though they aren't in abundance, which was actually kind of to be expected. Some cool technical parts and the snare is so fucking stiff, it sounds great (listen to the beginning of Embraced By Desolation)

The bass grooves its way to the top on this album. I have no problem with it. After all, at least you can hear it.

The clean vocals are almost as cheesy sounding as Spiral Architect's, but I really like them in the context of the album, it breaks stuff up.

But, eventually, you arrive at Buried In Oblivion. Of course, they had to go and ruin this great winning streak they had going. The song is tastefully done, I'll give it that, I just...didn't like it. For those of you wondering (since you're reading this), the track is completely acoustic and it's not that great. After this somewhat "sub-par" song, though, they continue the vicious prog-death/metalcore onslaught with 2 more songs.

I'm sure you're wondering what the best track is on the album though. Well, I'd have to say it's a toss-up between 3-Dimensional Aperture (which has the stupidest name ever, but it rocks), Spiraling Into Depression, and Splintered Visions. The rest is very good, and this album was a GREAT surprise.

Get it if you like Spiral Architect, Quo Vadis, Gory Blister, or Dream Theater.

83%

Is it because you dislike power metal?

I guess I can hear the metalcore...but the scales they play in and the vocal stylings...power metal.

Century Media calls them progressive death. They're more similar to Nevermore than Shadows Fall, know what I mean?

Yeah, I found them quite similar to Nevermore, plus a few more prog elements. I can definitely see where they get off calling them death metal, but they're just not "death" enough to actually harbor having that as part of their genre description. Their other two albums were more death, I think...

And, no I don't dislike power metal at all.

I think progressive melodic death metal is the label that fits best for me. The vocals and guitars are too complex to be "metalcore", or at least the the sound I associate with that label...Hatebreed, Lamb Of God, Unearth, God Forbid, All Out War, etc.

Into Eternity's latest is solid, but not so much so that I can listen to it more than once or twice through without wanting something a little rougher around the edges containing a little more aggression. One thing I will say is that with each listen (a few days between each is recommended) I get a deeper appreciation for the complexities and depth of their sound and this album. These guys are amazing musicians with years of experience, but sometimes it can be too much for the casual listener, as they seem to have a tendency to want to dazzle listeners with an auditory orgasm on every song. It can become a sensory overload if you try to take it all in the first few listens.