Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

Wikipedia says that El Dorado is a Smith/Dickinson/Harris track. Doesn't really give a source - going to assume it came from the Rockline interview Steve and Janick did. The album's Wikipedia page has the following:

In a 7 June interview on Rockline, Steve Harris commented that himself, Adrian Smith, and Bruce Dickinson had shared primary songwriting credits, with Janick Gers also contributing, adding that the songwriting credits were "a lot like the last album". Commenting on the songs themselves, Harris stated that: "towards the end of the album the songs get a lot more proggy".

Has anyone listened to the interview yet? Do they confirm who wrote El Dorado, or is some goofball just assuming it was Smith/Dickinson/Harris because of that quote? It doesn't say they shared the writing on every song.

Ok, pinpointed the point where the song loses me: 3:17 to 3:44. Is this the same recycled crap they use in half their songs these days? It's pure Harris minutiae, putting in something that disjoints the song completely. (I don't mean to sound like a hater, i still enjoy it despite Bruce's vocals in the verses)

I sometimes think that, musically, Maiden are simply down a different road than I expected them to be and have been, for the most part, for the last 8 years or so.

Wikipedia says that El Dorado is a Smith/Dickinson/Harris track. Doesn't really give a source - going to assume it came from the Rockline interview Steve and Janick did. The album's Wikipedia page has the following:

Has anyone listened to the interview yet? Do they confirm who wrote El Dorado, or is some goofball just assuming it was Smith/Dickinson/Harris because of that quote? It doesn't say they shared the writing on every song.

benjiman breeg was a Dave Murray song, and first single of the previous album. Therefore Steve's comment about the songwriting credits being a lot like the last album confirms that I'm correct in guessing that El Dorado is also a Dave Murray song.

;)

Yet to listen to this track. Got a splitting headache right now so I wont bother today. I'm looking forward to hearing the album but I'm turned off by hearing that it gets proggy as it goes - not what I was hoping for at all... time will tell

British heavy metal legends IRON MAIDEN kicked off their "The Final Frontier World Tour" last night (Wednesday, June 9) at the at Superpages.com Center in Dallas, Rexas.

The band's setlist was as follows:

01. The Wicker Man
02. The Ghost Of The Navigator
03. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
04. El Dorado
05. Paschendale
06. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
07. These Colours Don't Run
08. Blood Brothers
09. Wildest Dreams
10. No More Lies
11. Brave New World
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden

Encore:

14. The Number Of the Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Running Free

Never thought I see a Maiden setlist like that.
I guess after the last few tours effectively being a 'best of' session, it's interesting to see such a change in the thinking of the band.

Listening to it for the first time in my top notch headphones, sounds even better, and the bass is really thick I have noticed too, onya Steve :headbang: hahaha

It is still a ripper fucking track IMO

Holy cow, I love the setlist. At least they're not one of those bands who just plays classics and then one or two new songs. They really stand behind their recent material which is great to see. And great to see Paschendale again. :headbang:

Sure, it'll annoy some fans, but they just did a whole tour of classic songs. Sheesh.

Holy cow, I love the setlist. At least they're not one of those bands who just plays classics and then one or two new songs. They really stand behind their recent material which is great to see. And great to see Paschendale again. :headbang:

Sure, it'll annoy some fans, but they just did a whole tour of classic songs. Sheesh.

yeah fucken awesome. It'll piss off some idiots but it's a very maiden thing to do.

This is stolen from a comment beneath the blab news post:

It's funny that 11 years after Adrian's and Bruce's return, many people still can't figure out what Iron Maiden are doing on their tours:

EDHUNTOUR (1999)
BRAVE NEW WORLD TOUR (2000/01)
GIVE ME ED... 'TIL I'M DEAD Tour (2003)
DANCE OF DEATH WORLD TOUR (2003/04)
THE EARLY DAYS TOUR (2005)
A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH TOUR (2006/07)
SOMEWHERE BACK IN TIME TOUR (2008/09)
THE FINAL FRONTIER WORLD TOUR (2010)

"Nostalgia" tours alternating with tours supporting new album releases. This concept is quite easy to grasp I think.

______

I think that setlist is awesome, and they are ballsy as fuck for playing a set without Run To The Hills, The Trooper or Wrathchild. About time too. I think the strength of this setlist with the absence of amazing newer songs like Rainmaker, Journeyman, For The Greater Good Of God and Dance Of Death shows just how good the reunion era material is. My only gripe is closing with Running Free which I have never been a big fan of. Big singalongs are good I guess, but I think Sanctuary or Drifter or something would have been better!

I thought they could have started something neat by keeping Journeyman in the set as the first song of the encore, start a tradition with it... oh well.

I would like that more than the songs they did pick for the encore. Blitz is right, in that, just looking at the newer material, although the setlist is awesome, there is heaps to be disappointed about.

They're a band with a catalog of about 150 songs going back 30 years. Doesn't matter what they do, someones favourite is going to be left out. For mine, as long as they do some post 1992 songs next time they tour here everything is cool.

I think it would be smart to break up that great big bunch of new songs with some old ones. I saw them on the AMOLAD tour and it really killed the crowd having a straight run of new songs until Fear of the Dark kicked in. I loved it but I'd say 70% of the crowd were casual fans who only know the classics. People were actually walking out halfway through.

So throw a Trooper or a Wasted Years in there somewhere after every three or four new (ie, post-Blaze) songs. Go on!

Oh, and the setlist will be different next year when they play more than one song from The Final Frontier. Will be interesting to see what gets cut out - I'm guessing The Wicker Man will be taken out and replaced by the first track from the new album, for instance.

I love it.
I agree that they could have thrown in some older songs that dont get played much (I would love to hear Caught Somewhere in Time).
Ive read a comment saying that Maiden have abandoned their true fans and are playing this set for the 'casual' fans who don't really know that much.
Bullshit. Their true fans would be the ones who know all the reunion songs.

Will they return to Australia ya reckon?

Bruce did say during the second Sydney show that they were planning something big for Australia in about a years time (So about a year ago now) but we never heard shit.
Was he just talking it up to the Sydney crowd?

They'll be back. They know that there's money to be made here - methinks they were misinformed during the 90s, but a bunch of sold out shows pretty much tells them that it's a decent market here.

You know why they'll tour Australia next year? Because I'm thinking of going to Download and they'll announce the Australian tour days after I book my flight, meaning I won't be able to go to Sydney and Melbourne to see them.