Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

The new setlist is pretty cool but I have two complaints which have already been pointed out:
1) Why are the "early" songs of the setlist so unoriginal?
2) Why the hell don't they mix the new stuff and the old stuff instead of doing that lame-ass encore like they did on the AMOLAD tour in which it is so obvious they are trying to please everyone but only manage to piss everyone off for being so predictable?

Hallowed...HAS to be there, sorry but it is the ONLY must have Maiden song, sure I sound like every other play old stuff guy, but I find that song epic, 20 something years after I first heard it, play a whole setlist of the last 10 years, then throw in Hallowed be thy name, gig over HURRAH!!!

Sorry, the wife has gone away for the weekend, and me and my mate beer have had a day long chat, giddy up :headbang::kickass:

They'll never get rid of Hallowed Be Thy Name. They'll never get rid of Iron Maiden because it's traditional to end the show with it. I think Fear of the Dark has to be the second last song somewhere because it's just so awesome and works there - I wonder how it would go before the very last song of the evening? Hmm.

Steve has said his favourite songs are Hallowed and FOTD so I don't think they will ever leave, and that is fine with me as Hallowed is a classic and a fan favourite while FOTD is one fo their best live songs. I think they could afford to mix up NOTB and Iron Maiden though, and am still shocked they have ditched The Trooper and Run To The Hills.

They changed the setlist slightly for the second show. Replaced Brighter Than a Thousand Suns and Pascendale with Wrathchild and Dance of Death. Interesting. I guess they'll see what works and then stick with it for the rest of the tour.

I loved it but I'd say 70% of the crowd were casual fans who only know the classics. People were actually walking out halfway through.
!

In fairness I think we were sitting in a section heavy with z-list celebs, journo's and hangers on - I think there were a lot of free tickets handed out for that area. And if memory serves, did they not play AMOLAD in it's entirety, with a few 4 or 5 classics tagged on to the end? That's not brave and daring, that's downright stupid. I can't think of any band I love where I would be happy to see them play all of their new album, and clearly I wasn't alone. I think the new set list looks much more promising though. :)

And for what it's worth (fuck all) I'm not that keen on the new track. But I'm still looking forward to the album. AMOLAD and DoD grew on me, really, really slowly, so I still think there should be some good stuff on this.

FTR i would have loved to have seen the AMOLAD show with the whole album!

also i reckon Brighter Than A Thousand Suns is one of their best songs ever so it's a shame if they have dropped that one.

Of course this is just a temp set until the album comes out, then i'm guessing it'll be like 6+ songs from the new album, rest of the set from the previous 2 albums + FOTD + IM, then the encore as it stands now.

Yeh I assume they are experimenting now so that when the album is out they have an idea what songs to keep and which ones to drop for newies.

Playing AMOLAD straight through was a proud and bold move to show how much faith they had in the album and good on them, it is easily one of my 2 fav albums from them along with NOTB. I think if it was a typical Maiden album with a few filler songs as most have, then it would have been a dumb move, but AMOLAD is probably their most solid album of all with no weak songs IMO, so i just worked.

I kind of pity them in a way, if they try something new like playing an album through or dropping classics for great new songs, then they get criticised and if they kept the same tired setlist the same thing would happen. They cant win against people that prefer to criticise than enjoy.

Yeh I assume they are experimenting now so that when the album is out they have an idea what songs to keep and which ones to drop for newies.

Playing AMOLAD straight through was a proud and bold move to show how much faith they had in the album and good on them, it is easily one of my 2 fav albums from them along with NOTB. I think if it was a typical Maiden album with a few filler songs as most have, then it would have been a dumb move, but AMOLAD is probably their most solid album of all with no weak songs IMO, so i just worked.

I kind of pity them in a way, if they try something new like playing an album through or dropping classics for great new songs, then they get criticised and if they kept the same tired setlist the same thing would happen. They cant win against people that prefer to criticise than enjoy.

yep, but at the same time maiden have ALWAYS had that sort of "don't like it? oh well, fuck off and listen to something else then" attitude, which you have gotta admire!

also i dare say they're one of the few bands of their vintage that are still coming out with strong enough material & selling enough copies of the new albums to justify including so many new songs. That might be a bit of a subjective opinion I guess, but again props to them for not pandering to all the old farts (ie my age group and up) who just want to relive 1985 over and over again.

Not only that, but Maiden DO cater for those people as well, the fact they recreated the world slavery tour and took it to the world is something we would have only dreamed about a decade ago. Those fans ARE catered for, so should let the band do other things as well, such as peddle the later part of their career.

Is an interesting question, are there any other veteren rock bands that have put out an album 20 or 30 years into their career that some fans rate above the classic material? Would have to be a small list.

I think it depends on how you define "some fans". I'm sure with any band you'll find fans that think the latest album is the greatest. AMOLAD was also a critical success as well though, which may be the differentiator.