Is any band as good the 2nd time around as they are the 1st?

I've never really thought about it as usually happening, but when I think about it now, that has probably been the case. It's one of those things that might get mentioned after the show in passing, but I never really thought about how it's usually the case. In fact, I have to think about it to see if there are exceptions.

For me, a lot of a concert is the whole experience, including who I go with. Lately, only shows alone, and that has taken the shine off most of them. Sucks losing friends.

I've never really thought about it as usually happening, but when I think about it now, that has probably been the case. It's one of those things that might get mentioned after the show in passing, but I never really thought about how it's usually the case. In fact, I have to think about it to see if there are exceptions.

For me, a lot of a concert is the whole experience, including who I go with. Lately, only shows alone, and that has taken the shine off most of them. Sucks losing friends.

Look at it this way,with forums like this one you can immediately come back to the hotel and tell everyone how good/bad the show you saw was.It's internet friends but at least it's someone to communicate with if you went alone.

I like going to shows alone and have been happily doing so since mid-2005. That includes solo trips to ProgPower in 06 and 09. I just like being distraction-free I guess? I sometimes end up chatting with someone I meet randomly at the show too.

I can think of several bands I've sene multiple times that I enjoyed more each time, but none more than the band 3. Those guys bring it every time and somehow each time I see them they just keep getting better.

Gonna get stoned for this one...
Dream Theater, Symphony X, and Kamalot; really good the first time but consistently got more and more boring each time I saw them.

Dream Theater for me is totally a product of the set list they are playing at the time. I always enjoy DT live, but song selection determines the greatness. I've seen them probably a dozen times, easy, and I've never been disappointed......

Symphony X has stuck too close to the same set list for years. If they mixed things up more, I think I'd be more into their live show. It's always a great performance, but it feels very samey.

Only seen Kamelot twice, so I can't really say one way or the other with them.

I can think of several bands I've sene multiple times that I enjoyed more each time, but none more than the band 3. Those guys bring it every time and somehow each time I see them they just keep getting better.

Haven't seen 3 yet, I'd love to. They're a brilliant band.

Dream Theater for me is totally a product of the set list they are playing at the time. I always enjoy DT live, but song selection determines the greatness. I've seen them probably a dozen times, easy, and I've never been disappointed......

I couldn't agree more. I remember seeing several tours and really the one I liked least was the 08 Prognation tour aside form Rudess finally using a keytar (so what if it's cheesy!), but there was something about hearing Dark Eternal Night twice that put me to sleep.

Haven't seen 3 yet, I'd love to. They're a brilliant band.

If you get the chance it is really worth it. Amazedisgrace is one of my favorite live songs period.

The first DT show I saw had a pretty cool setlist that included Scarred, Voices, Lines in the Sand, 6DOIT, Fatal Tragedy, Home, Lie, along with the requisite shorter tracks. But the only song they've done in recent years that really makes me want to go back and see live is Count of Tuscany. Also, I'd like once to see them play Pull Me Under and/or Metropolis the normal, complete way, instead of the mash/speed-up thing they've been doing.

I can see where seeing a band more than once could be a let down after the first time, that first time is always special. Brainstorm at PPV and PPX is a good example, at V they blew me away, X not so much, I guess cause I had been there done that, it was a good performace dont get me wrong, but the experience had kinda dulled itself down

Now for bands I REALLY like it never gets old. I have seen Dream Theater 4 times, and every time it seems to be better than the time before. I have seen local band Void of Reason(VOR) 12 times, and its always fresh.

Then there are those rare times like Savatage, that I cant wait for thier next performance in anyway shape or form. I have accualty gone to see other bands because I heard they were going to cover Savatage.

sava_freak.

Lots of bands! Quite often, for me, I'll enjoy a band a lot more the second time I see them. A few notable ones for me have been Savatage, Circle II Circle, and Jon Oliva's Pain.

Other bands I will enjoy more on subsequent performances simply because I have become more familiar with their music after having seen them the first time. Some examples are Brainstorm, Mercenary, and Nile.

Avenged Sevenfold was better everytime I saw them. Partly because they were bigger and had their own stage set for the last time I saw them.

Ditto. THe majority of the time I honestly go alone. Not that I don't have friends but most of my friends, with like one exception don't like the same music as I do. I actually enjoy going solo because you get free reign of what to do, where to go. The thing is about going with someone or a group is you have to keep tabs on people and have to all meet up at the end. When you go solo, you can go wherever you want, you can go to the barricade and if you have the mojo, can go backstage. It's not as easy when you're with people. Plus, like people said, metal fans are pretty cool. Usually you can find someone to talk to.

I've seen Dream Theater something like 10 or 11 times, and I was only unimpressed twice. Of course, I also haven't seen them since ... um. 2003?

Evergrey and Symphony X both never fail to put on a great show, even when there are sound issues. (which always seems to happen when Evergrey plays Jaxx, no idea why...)

Great post!

<<In Flames - Always (to me and IMO) are always getting better live as far as their tightness, stage show, and energy. I actually enjoyed seeing them the second time WAY more since I was better aquianted with more of their music...sooo more sing alongs and recognizable things<<

Amen. Seen them close to 10x now and always enjoy their shows. But...first time on the Colony tour was probably the best.

<<Avenged Sevenfold was better everytime I saw them. Partly because they were bigger and had their own stage set for the last time I saw them.>>

Seen them 3x, (glad I did with the Rev gone now). First time at the Rave though on City of Evil was the best.

<<Iron Maiden>>

The best show was the first one I saw at Eagles Ballroom on the reunion tour. It was like 100 degrees in there. Can't believe that was 10 years ago now. Seen them a few times since. Didn't catch the last tour though, that sounded like it would have been amazing.

The more I think about it, a lot of bands' show I saw the first time was the best. Wait, actually Eluveitie, the 2nd time I saw them way better but that might have been because the 1st one I saw in Detroit at Blondies had HORRIBLE sound.

And I enjoyed Evergrey more later then the first time I saw them at Progpower. And I liked Symphony X better at Rileys then PP. But I think the bands had a lot more material out that I liked better when I saw them later.

I always thought Nevemore slayed, but I haven't seen them since Dead Heart tour.
Aaron

I have to say, the band that I loved the first time, then was totally entranced the second was Orphaned Land. It had been a couple years since I saw them, so it wasn't like going to multiple shows on the same tour in a short period of time. The same thing happened with Vanden Plas. Loved them at ProgPower, than saw them a year or so later in a festival and was blown away. Actually, saw Edguy and Kamelot the first times at ProgPower and had that first time high. Subsequent shows were fun, but not quite the same rush, until I saw them again at a large festival and they really pumped it up.

Nightwish is a band I've seen a lot. Was mesmerized the first time. Subsequent shows were good but not the same until I saw them in a larger arena-type venue. Was impressed yet again. When Anette joined, but not too impressed the first time I saw here. She was way better the second, but hasn't been all that great since.

Porcupine Tree is a band that has been very consistent for me - just amazing each time.

Amorphis has rocked my world the three times I've seen them. Tarot the same twice.

I have to confess, I have fallen asleep twice during a Dream Theatre show. Usually in the last third during some wandering piece full of solo moments.

Nightwish is a band I've seen a lot. Was mesmerized the first time. Subsequent shows were good but not the same until I saw them in a larger arena-type venue. Was impressed yet again. When Anette joined, but not too impressed the first time I saw here. She was way better the second, but hasn't been all that great since.

I feel the same way, although L'amours will always hold a special place in my heart. I wasn't even a fan before that show though so there was never the anticipation build up. And despite seeing them in Worcester as the first date of the first official US tour, the NYC show two days later was still better.

Kamelot was kind of this way as well. They were amazing the first time I saw them, pretty good a year later, and amazing once again the third time when they introduced a permanent backup singer. I've never had any of the complaints people have about Khan's vocals or the sound in general at any of the shows I've been to. Unfortunately I've missed them the last two times through so I'm looking forward to Progpower.

Nevermore was a million times better the second time I saw them, but were good the first, just was a short setlist the first time and second time was headlining.

Pain of Salvation amazing both times.

Evergrey and Symphony X seemed to get more boring each time to me but I still enjoyed their sets, except last time I saw evergrey I fell asleep, hehe.

Opeth is always an enjoyable experience for me.

Dream Theater was amazing first 3 times, and fourth time bored me extremely.

Angra amazing first time, horrible second time(due to Edu's vocals).

Soilwork is equally amazing every time.

In Flames keeps on getting better.

Arch Enemy always impresses.

Children of Bodom have gotten exponentially worse every time I have seen them, but I don't enjoy the new material like I do the old.

Kamelot was way better the first time than the second.

Circus Maximus was equally amazing both times.

Mercenary blew me away the first time and dissappointed me the second time.

Blind Guardian was equally boring both times I saw them.