Is Evergrey a Christian band?

Wolftribe said:
What about Deicide?
I was just going to state thet you don't need to have Deicide lyrics to show that you don't have a christian band.

Are there religious fanatics searching for new "christian" bands everywhere? Or are there people who are trying to find "christian" bands to avoid them?

But then again, for some people it doesn't matter if the bans is or is not christian. But for me that's quite important, I try to avoid bands that clearly mark them religious.

El Diablo said:
Are there religious fanatics searching for new "christian" bands everywhere? Or are there people who are trying to find "christian" bands to avoid them?
Yes and yes. Some people refuse to listen to secular music, and I respect that.

Evergrey never seemed to be a 'Christian band.' In truth, the term is meaningless. It merely describes the faith of the players and possibly the origin of the lyrics. It does not describe the music itself. Therefore, it is irrelevant.

El Diablo said:
But then again, for some people it doesn't matter if the bans is or is not christian. But for me that's quite important, I try to avoid bands that clearly mark them religious.

I pay more attention to how obnoxious they are about it. Shadow Gallery is unabashedly Christian, but most of their lyrics are allusive in nature; they're telling stories, not preaching. (well, for the most part. "First Light" kinda veered in that direction a little bit.) For that reason, I don't mind listening to them at all.

Bands like Stryper, on the other hand, whose whole purpose is gospel, I avoid like the plague.

(by the same token, I have no interest in bluntly anti-religious bands, either.)

EternalMetal said:
michael-jackson-monkey.jpg

Damn he's black one day and white with a fucked up nose the next. What's this world coming to?

The album is clearly anti-cult, or anti-fanaticism in my view anyway. But I wouldn't call it anti-christian at all.

Clearly Evergrey is not a Christian band. Tom's words "I am my own god walking earth"--or something to that effect--kind of puts that idea to rest :)

It's a well-written lyrical album. As usual, Tom brings out the personal side of the story better than most other bands.

It helps that the sound quality is nearly perfect on this CD. A very well-recorded album.

I never even thought Evergrey COULD be Christian. There is a lot of bands that I wonder about, but Evergrey was never one of them. I don't care if a band's members are of a specific religion, but I don't want to hear about it. Satanism, Christianity, whatever. I just don't care.

The whole point of the cd is to point out how people follow these religions and their leaders blindlessly, not even thinking twice about it. Its about somebody who has a weak mind and falls for all of this religion and cult stuff and sacrifices things to be involved in these doings. not religious at all, kind of anti-religious against every single religion their is, but not an anti-christian band. it has the view of anti, but isnt because it is only expressing these views in the form of a story throughout the music, not as an all out expressed opinion being said to you, this is more like a proposition than actual inti-religious views.

I caught the religious vibe the first time i listened to the album, but i knew it wasnt christian by the time i caught on to a few phrases that a christian would not ever be caught saying.

I don't think they're christian, no no! Not when you watch them party anyway..haha! :kickass:

They certainly can, but we don't have to get up early on Sunday morning to give an account of our excesses! :)

jaimek said:
They certainly can, but we don't have to get up early on Sunday morning to give an account of our excesses! :)

Other than in terms of kneeling to the porcelain God.

Did you try out Emperor yet, or had you done it before I suggested it for the first time?

grandbazaar said:
I seriously hate when people ask "is X a christian band". What is that going to change if they aren't or are? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ! a band is judged on it's music and lyrical themes not on a STUPID label (religion catagorisation) ...come on.

THe point is not to label them based on their religious affiliation, its to explore an important part of what might influence the bands lyrical and musical directions which in turn gives people a topic to discuss, christ, isn't that was the forum is for, to discuss different aspects of a band with fellow fans??