Is it just me, or does EZD DFH sound like shit?

The Unavoidable

jättebög
May 27, 2008
Umeå, Sweden
I'm talking about the crashes. NONE of them actually sound like chrashes, they all sound like ride cymbals going PLING, instead of chrashes going SPLAAAAASSHHHHHHHHHHH

I've tried compressing the shit out of them, EQing, reverb, but I'm stuck with these plinging cymbals with absolutely no "force" in them at all.

I might be picking up DFHS later today, but I thought I would atleast give this a shot. The snares are awesome, and the toms (although a bit one-dimensional) sound good aswell.

I mean, even the EZD chrashes sound tons better than this!

Having played around with DFHS for a couple of months now, anything on EZD DFH pales in comparison.

I can make some cymbal samples If you want
( 18" Sabian HHX, 14" Meinl Byzance and 18" Meinl Soundcaster Custom, which has a small crack).
If you can load them into DFH (never used it)

Sorry...but I'm just the opposite. The only things I use from EZdrummer DFH are the cymbals, as I hate the snares and toms...and especially the kick, but love the cymbals. The only way I use those snares and toms is if I blend other samples on top of them.

oops, I don't have DFH, just the EZD, and I like its crashes. I could use a better ride though.

the first DFH ( wwhat ez dhf is based on) was an amazng sound for it's time..

now it only sounds good for meshuggah pod-style riffing for my ears..

in that context ez drummer DFH rules...

I can't stand it for anything else....

Yeah the drums are shite in the dfh EZX. The cymbals are usable, as someone already mentioned. The original DFH and the EZD DFH are the same thing :) They just converted it for use with EZD's gui, etc. So far Addictive Drums is rockin for me. I would say use the cymbals from EZD and the drums from AD....mmmmmmmm.

~006

Well if you guys like the cymbals in DFH so much, mind telling me how the hell to get them sounding anything like an actual crash? :lol:

I'll upload a clip, hang on

http://www.megaupload.com/se/?d=RPWRAIQ0

As you can hear here, especially when the riff starts, the cymbals don't cut through at all and just get a weak ping going, no SPLAAASSHHHH. They don't ring out, and generally sound very very thin.

Without checking the clip...are you sure you are using a fairly high velocity when programming the cymbal hits? If you are using one too low then it will be triggering one of the lighter hits and not a full-on crash hit.

~006

It's maxed out bro. Now I'm messing around with the other cymbals avaliable, and I found some that work. But more than half of them are completely useless becuse they barely make a sound!

I've never liked any of the kick sounds I've heard from AD, but everything else (especially the snares and ride) have really impressed me

Yeah I'm still not 100% happy with the kick sounds I'm able to get out of it...but that's what apTrigga is for :p The snare is the main thing I'm really digging, has this certain attack and body to all of them that I have yet to get out of DFHS/EZD/EZXs. The cymbals in AD are ok for lighter stuff, but for fast br00tals they can get fake sounding real quick. The toms I have nothing to complain about, IMO toms are something that all drum libraries are equal on, in terms of usable raw sounds. Some may be better than others, but overall most libraries have usable toms.

~006

The Unavoidable, check your PM's my friend.

Oh, and yeah, of all the drum programming VSTs I've heard, very rarely do they actually fool me. Never actually used one, so I can't really tell you where to go with it.