IS JEFF LOOMIS WRONG?????????

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
alright guys! i need your help on this one!

for the last 2 days iv'e been practicing the intro for "Miles Of Machines" on my guitar after tabbing this video:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1vQVdE4TAo&feature=related[/ame]

and after hours of practice i'm 99.99999999% sure that i have the correct tabs and that JEFF IS MISSING NOTES ON THE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO!!!!

i noticed 2 mistakes he made on the slow version where he breaks down the arpeggios:

1. on the 3rd arpeggio (E7), if you look closely at the fast version you'll notice he's sliding he's hand TWICE and not one like on the slow version.
he left out a slide and 3 notes! compare 1:20 and 2:08, am i wrong?

2. this one is much bigger:
on the slow version he teaches, the 6th and 7th arpeggios are Cdim and Edim which he plays on the E string and G string (haha), right?
but look closely at 2:14-2:23, there are THREE arpeggios there!

am i crazy?!?!?!?! iv'e been struggling with this for quite some time ever since i tabbed it in GP and it did not fit rythmicly.

the first mistake i believe he just forgot the notes because it was too fucking slow for him...
the second mistake, i belive, is an EDITING mistake. after the Cdim arpeggio you can clearly see the video was cut and the editor probably forgot to insert the next arpeggio.

and so, i present you with the CORRECT (i hope so) version:

Jeff Loomis - Miles Of Machines Intro

every other tab i found on the internet is even more off than mine, they are all missing that arpeggio so this might be the only correct version there is!

(seriously, am i crazy? Jaymz, help me out here buddy...)

In what way is your tab more accurate than this one?
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/jeff_loomis/miles_of_machines_ver4_guitar_pro.htm

Only thing I see that differs are that yours is in the wrong tempo and the notes doesn't line up with the bars. Those slides that you wrote in 32nd notes really should be written as grace notes or a simple slide and I think some hammer ons and pull offs are missing.

man... whoever wrote this GP file worked his ass off...

anyway his version is also correct, and he just used triplets and 6th for the slides. both versions end at the same time and mine is without percussion so it doesn't really matters.

point is the the tutorial video that JEFF LOOMIS made is wrong!
and iv'e been going crazy trying to figure out why it deosn't fit!
so everyone that tries to learn this part should have a correct version.

and if it really is the end of the world, and i manage to survive,
dibs on the ENGL factory!

Seriously, why use tabs?
I've never used tabs, and i've never had any problems playing other peoples songs correctly either.

Do your self a favor and give your ears some proper practice.

man... whoever wrote this GP file worked his ass off...

anyway his version is also correct, and he just used triplets and 6th for the slides. both versions end at the same time and mine is without percussion so it doesn't really matters.

point is the the tutorial video that JEFF LOOMIS made is wrong!
and iv'e been going crazy trying to figure out why it deosn't fit!
so everyone that tries to learn this part should have a correct version.

and if it really is the end of the world, and i manage to survive,
dibs on the ENGL factory!

Good luck inserting some correct drums in your tab. I got a lot of respect for the good tabbers that are out there I'm just so tired looking at these half assed tabs. There tons of them and they look so ugly it blinds my eyes. If one takes the time to tab it out why not do it correctly?

But I agree there is something strange about the video.

Seriously, why use tabs?
I've never used tabs, and i've never had any problems playing other peoples songs correctly either.

Yeah, sitting down and learning miles of machine by ear is really productive...

Seriously, why use tabs?

As a guitar teacher, I have to agree that most guitar players nowadays aren't doing any ear training at all (Thanks a lot, cracked Guitar Pro softwares!:yuk: ) and I think it's a part of what makes most today's kids music pretty bleak.

But to those who can actually play, tabs are great because it's so much faster, plus you get the right fingering right away, which is what's hard to find when you learn something by ear.

On that Loomis thing, I have the PDF of Supershred Masterclass somewhere, hit me with a PM if you want it. I don't know if the mistake's in it tho.

Yeah, sitting down and learning miles of machine by ear is really productive...

If you learn your scales, chords and arpeggios("Same shit different color".) its not a problem.
If you have problems with it, do some interval practice(Best exercise to learn new songs faster.).

Where do you think the tabs come from?
Yup, you got it, magic!
No, seriously, some people actually managed to learn the songs by ear and then tabbed them down.

Just check this out and you'll get my point:

As a guitar teacher, I have to agree that most guitar players nowadays aren't doing any ear training at all (Thanks a lot, cracked Guitar Pro softwares!:yuk: ) and I think it's a part of what makes most today's kids music pretty bleak.

Probably.
I have absolutely no skills in playing after notation or tabs(Even though i know how to read them.).
Never missed it either.
Although i have to admit, most of the time the songs i learn are easier to pick out as i mostly listen to 80's heavy metal.. but i think pretty much everyone can agree that picking out George Lynch's fast legato runs by ear can be a bitch. :lol:

But to those who can actually play, tabs are great because it's so much faster, plus you get the right fingering right away, which is what's hard to find when you learn something by ear.

Thats true, but when it comes to fingering i have my own techniques. :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you learn your scales, chords and arpeggios("Same shit different color".) its not a problem.
If you have problems with it, do some interval practice(Best exercise to learn new songs faster.).

But it is in lightning speed. I agree one should learn as much by ear as possible and I think I got a pretty good ear. But when it start to get to these difficult levels that these arpeggios are at. I really don't think it is worth the hassle to sit there several days with amazing slowdowner or pacemaker or whatever program that's common nowadays to figure out those inbetween notes. Isn't it to nail the technique that is the goal?

Seriously, why use tabs?

Writing tabs of stuff you figure out by ear is far more productive than just playing it, you also learn how to write and learn some stuff you may have missed, plus you train your ears. I've been doing tabs for more than 4 years and it keeps helping me to learn music-related stuff.

I have that dvd, and immediately noticed what you metioned about him missing notes. I just paused it, or put it into slowmo on my comp and watched very carefully.

personaly, i'm still amazed jeff loomis forgot a note...

getting real cold here in hell haha

There are multiple parts on that dvd where he plays the fast version different than the slow. I have also noticed the official pdf tabs are different from what he is playing on some sections.

Playing something that you came up with at half the speed that you'd normally play it is often really hard. My co-guitarist and I were showing each other how to play our solos, and both of us were fumbling around, trying to slow down the fast parts.