Is Orchid the best Opeth Album?

I guess it's mostly a matter of taste, but I'd say that it's their most immature album (which is quite natural, it being their first one), it has some very weak drumming and the potential in the songs isn't delivered quite as well as later on... BUT it's also a good album, it sounds like Opeth, it has some fine and unpredictable moments, and it has an amazing balance between versatility and retaining a certain style and mood, at least for such a young band. It definitely suggested that this band would become great.

Personally, I think it is because I'm just a whore for atmospehere, and listening I get lost in those songs ... I can actually visualize the rain-soaked forests at sunset in Autumn and whatnot *dodges tomatoes and flames and garbage*

"Worst" is the wrong word. It implies that it's the lesser of other bad things.

Orchid is simply their least focused album and meandered all over the place with a bit of over-pretentiousness here and there. While those atributes may seem like faults at times, it's what makes the album sort of special. Very atmospheric. It's like psychadelic-death! Great stuff to zone out too.

^^^^ HAHAHA

But in regards to the question. No, an awesome album, but no. The thing I don't like about Orchid and Morningrise (both are amazing) is the way the songs are structured, songs that have about 20-25 riffs in each song but they never go back to a riff in the song therefore making each song seem more like a track of just showcasing riffs. I prefer it when Opeth repeat riffs in a song, it seems more like a song then.

Ikil

Ikil said:
^^^^ HAHAHA

But in regards to the question. No, an awesome album, but no. The thing I don't like about Orchid and Morningrise (both are amazing) is the way the songs are structured, songs that have about 20-25 riffs in each song but they never go back to a riff in the song therefore making each song seem more like a track of just showcasing riffs. I prefer it when Opeth repeat riffs in a song, it seems more like a song then.

Ikil
I know what you mean, I'm currently writing a song and I'm at a point where I've gone through like 5 different riffs and I think it's time for me to go back to a riff or it will seem like I'm just throwing together riffs with no direction.

Zlatan_Ibrahimovic said:
"Worst" is the wrong word. It implies that it's the lesser of other bad things.

Orchid is simply their least focused album and meandered all over the place with a bit of over-pretentiousness here and there. While those atributes may seem like faults at times, it's what makes the album sort of special. Very atmospheric. It's like psychadelic-death! Great stuff to zone out too.
That says it all.