Is the death of the CD looming?

:err: Seriously?

Seriously what? Meeting people in the real world? Or did you not get the sarcasm involved in the other statements? People rely on their computers way too much. Go type dating sites in google and see how many hits you get. Its frightening to see how people can no longer interact unless theres a PC involved. It is the "downfall of mankind"

Seriously what? Meeting people in the real world? Or did you not get the sarcasm involved in the other statements?

I probably didn't get the sarcasm.
If anything it's because of the internet that I personally have found myself doing more social things outside of my desktop.

Its frightening to see how people can no longer interact unless theres a PC involved. It is the "downfall of mankind"

True but that's how things are. I remember when my great grandfather refused to talk to people on the phone cause it wasn't "real" conversation. I think "doomsday" theories are rather silly.

Bottom line, it is my opinion that CDs will continue to decline in the next 5 yrs but people will still collect them like they do Vinyl today. Is Vinyl necessary or obsolete technology? I say the latter and in 5 yrs CDs will be the same, just a collector's item.

I think we have said everything there is to say on this topic without turning it into a shit storm of insults.

I think we have said everything there is to say on this topic without turning it into a shit storm of insults.

That is probably true. There's a tendency to read into things that really isn't there, and words get tossed back and forth at each other.

...Laid to rest...

The thing I mentioned about rarity is something that a collector or a big fan of something could only understand. Half the fun of getting a physical copy for me is the thrill of the hunt. I love finding that rare disc some where. There is still a small handful of disc that I am searching for and this is what makes it cool when you do finally get it. Lots of my CD's have a story to them on how I got them or something happened that day. When I look at it, it is just more than a disc.

I understand this exactly. CD hunting, especially when you're out with people who are just as obsessive and competitive as yourself, is one of my favorite things. That's why every year at ProgPower instead of sleeping off hangovers Jeremy, Matt and I can always be found scouring the Atlanta used CD stores.

I understand this exactly. CD hunting, especially when you're out with people who are just as obsessive and competitive as yourself, is one of my favorite things. That's why every year at ProgPower instead of sleeping off hangovers Jeremy, Matt and I can always be found scouring the Atlanta used CD stores.

I've been getting reallllllllllly lucky in the used vinyl section of Criminal Records lately.

nice to see you have lots of free time. I guess without having to go through CD's to listen to your music you can sit on the internet playing "Mr. Know-It-All".

heh...so says Mr. 3494-posts to Mr. 854-posts! But yes, you're correct that if I had to spend time searching for music, I would have less time to do something I enjoy more, namely, fact-checking peoples' posts on the Internet.

Lots of my CD's have a story to them on how I got them or something happened that day. When I look at it, it is just more than a disc.

Same for me. My current satisfaction with electronic downloads doesn't mean that I didn't once have the exact same experiences as you did with CDs. When Iron Maiden played "Wicker Man" at their show last weekend, I remembered how on the day 'Brave New World' came out, I was exploring the narrow, mysterious streets of Venice, and finally found a small shop selling the CD, a few days before I would be seeing them play in Milan. And then listening to it on my discman while lounging on a bench in a secluded, sun-dappled campiello, watching Venetians go about their daily business. Jose wrote a nice post along the same lines describing his past experiences with CD searching/buying.

But those were *effects* of our love of music, they were not the *cause* of our love of music. Thus, when those effects disappear, sure, our behavior and our memories change, but our love of music is not damaged.

I can't detect any negative effect that the lack of new CD-buying memories has had on my life. I have many other fine memories of that time in Italy that have nothing to do with music buying, and I continue to form great memories and great social experiences today, even though I no longer shop for CDs. Either I haven't noticed the hole waiting to be filled with new CD-buying memories, or I have taken the time I would have spent CD shopping and used it to fill that hole with other memorable experiences. Conversely, I also continue to form special connections between particular pieces of music and times/places, even though I no longer buy a physical product.

The way some of you guys are so militant about your attachment to the CD-format makes me wonder, if mp3s had been invented in the 1960s and physical formats disappeared by 1980, does that mean that you simply would have never become a fan of music? Without the opportunity to collect something physical, or make social connections at record stores, would you have just opted-out and never become a fan?

I'd find that hard to believe, so the only other conclusion I can come to is that you overestimate the loss that you would feel if you could no longer buy something physical.

What else asides shirts are bands going to sell on tour????

Belt buckles? Patches? Flags? Posters? Nothing? Selling recorded copies of your music is something extremely new in the history of live music performance, and in the end, will just be a blip in the timeline. Bands managed to tour before they thought to sell their recordings at shows, some tour currently without selling their recordings at shows, and they'll be able to tour in the future when they're no longer able to sell their recordings at shows. Adjustments will be made as necessary; it's not like the death of the CD will occur in a vacuum, while everything else about the music business remains exactly the same.

There are lots of small factors like this that bothers me about people all excited about the death of CD's.

Who here has expressed excitement about the death of CDs?

It seems the ones that are excited are the same people that probably never leave thier house to go places so now they feel validated for not having to go out into the real world and experience things.

Ah, yes, brilliant deduction, Mr. Holmes!

The bottom line is support the music you love, be it physical product or digital.

Agreed!

@ Neil - You make some valid points but fail miserably in understanding that physical VS digital is a personal choice. Sorry friend.

Er, I totally understand it's a personal choice. What did I say that made you think otherwise?

The origin of this thread is not about the end of me buying CDs, or the end of you buying CDs, it's about whether the CD format will die *as a whole*, and that will be determined not by me or you, but by the world's population of music buyers. To have that discussion, you need to look beyond your own personal preferences, or at least get an understanding of how normal or abnormal your personal preferences are in comparison to the rest of the world. As one who has experience both as a passionate CD-buyer AND an exclusive-mp3-buyer, I think I have a pretty good perspective to understand the pros and cons of both approaches.

Among the CD-only buyers here, there are a lot of misconceptions about buying music electronically (understandable, since they don't have any experience to draw from). I've been trying to correct those misconceptions for three reasons: 1) so they can make a clearer judgement about the end-date of the CD and prepare themselves for it; 2) so they can get a better perspective on the pros and cons of mp3-buying, and discover that maybe it's not as scary as they thought, and that the pros may actually outweigh the cons; and 3) because I like correcting misconceptions!

But I have no desire to "force" anyone to stop buying CDs!

Neil

Another factor with the "death" of CD. What else asides shirts are bands going to sell on tour???? Imagine you are in a band and you run out of shirts...well that stinks since you have no other way to make extra money now. There are lots of small factors like this that bothers me about people all excited about the death of CD's. It seems the ones that are excited are the same people that probably never leave thier house to go places so now they feel validated for not having to go out into the real world and experience things. Some of my great times in life was going out record / CD shopping with freinds ( yeah, I have some).

Seriously? I've seen plenty of bands with cool merch. Anything from vinyl to gym shorts to limited screenprinted posters to giant foam fingers. Being lazy with your marketing is not a good excuse.

I'll go ahead and give you a list of stuff I like so you can be collecting it, putting it in a box that says "Give to Shawn when I kick it...", and making sure your house doesn't burn down again...

:devil: ;)

hahaha, yeah that fear is always in the back of my head honestly. someone asked me about why i don't burn candles in the house and i looked at them and said, really? open flames in MY house? never again i tell ya!

haha.

i am writing your name on a box right now. ;)

The internet and the availability of buying things from home is turning this world to shit. I remember looking for cds in the store back in the day, and running into a pretty little lady that was searching for the same type of music. Long story short, we hit it off and dated for a few years. This is the same as a cd vs. digital download argument. I can hear certain people responding..."Why do you need to go out to meet people? You can sit here in your desk chair listening to your high quality mp3s and meet the girl of your dreams on Zoosk or E Harmony or something, all without leaving your basement! In turn, you're not burning gas, ruining the ozone with your exhaust fumes etc, etc...."

No wonder our world has turned to shit!

it's great you mention this because having been a buyer/manager of a local indie record store for nearly 15 years in this town there was so much more than just buying a record at a record store. i was friends with so many people that shopped there, we would talk about music. we would have the same arguements we have in this forum, but with people face to face in our town, in our community.

now that the CD store is closed i STILL run into old customers in various places and we talk about the old days and how everyone misses it.

for people who didn't shop at local records stores you won't understand but for people like myself who have been hanging out in records stores since they could ride a bicycle there is so much more to just "buying music."

basically, with the digital age we are "more connected" but unfortunately in a world that is rapidly becoming completely disconnected from itself.

The way some of you guys are so militant about your attachment to the CD-format makes me wonder, if mp3s had been invented in the 1960s and physical formats disappeared by 1980, does that mean that you simply would have never become a fan of music?

I totally do understand what you are saying here, though for me, the physical product for metal records is what drew me in during the early 80s.

It was always VERY exciting to go to this one record store in Woodfield (I forgot what it was called) that carried import metal records. I bought tons of import 12" singles from bands like Venom, Maiden, Motorhead, Metallica, etc, etc.

Finding those cool items made me love the music even more.

You can't honestly say that the physical product, esp for a metal record, does NOT aid in enhancing the attraction to the band or music, ya know?

During the 90s, when classic metal was going down the pooper and death metal was on the rise, I got out of metal for a while when I discovered US hardcore, mainly through being into crossover bands like DRI, COC, etc, etc. One of punk and hardcore's main appeal to me was the collectibility of the records. There was one point where I had well over 1,000 12", 7", 10", and even 5" records. For bands I REALLY loved, I had multiple colored vinyl versions of the same record. I was truly obsessed with record collecting for many years, much to the dismay of my bank account!!! :)

Anyhow, I am a fan of MP3s. As I said before, there are some bands who I am a casual fan where having a download is satisfying enough. I do find them convenient.

On the flipside, having been there, I know and understand that there are VERY passionate music fans of all genres that will need a physical product to relate to that artist.

Yeah, this is good discussion. Let's keep it going and keep it constructive. No need for insults. We are all passionate about music, so let's let that be the driving force here.

I agree, you should never have to call a store every time before you go there. However, if you are traveling quite a ways it's a darn good idea. I do it all the time. I live in the city and shop at Woodfield at a specialty game store. I know what I am going to buy ahead of time but always call first and am thankful because sometimes the last one is on the shelf. And in defense of Impulse, you do realize that the "Out Of Stock" feature was implemented a year ago? And in defense of Impulse in my time there I never once witnessed something being put up on the website as new release unless it was in the store. And remember I have no ties to that store. I don't have an investment or share in anything. Never owned it, only worked there part time.

He didn't make the "in stock" feature until after it moved from Illinois though.

curious to see how long it takes for someone to make a store in the mall like "Build A Bear" for digital downloads. You go in and make your own collection for a fee. It would be a hit. Bring your I-Pod in and for a price have axcess to 1,000,000's of songs. It would be all the rage for the kids to go to the mall to experience record buying in a new age.

I know at least when I was working at FYE, there were certain locations that were doing exactly what you are talking about. No clue if they do it now though.

The internet and the availability of buying things from home is turning this world to shit.
basically, with the digital age we are "more connected" but unfortunately in a world that is rapidly becoming completely disconnected from itself.

Do you guys realize where you're posting this grumpy-old-man nonsense?

This is the forum for ProgPower USA, a long-running metal festival that WOULD NOT EXIST if not for the ability of the Internet to bring a group of people with a niche interest together in real life. Moreover, half the people who attend the festival barely even go for the music anymore, they go for the *personal contact* with the lifelong friends that they have made there, friends they never would have even met without the Internet!

Neil

I'm a cd advocate. I've also been a collector since the vinyl days. I will NEVER purchase an MP3. If you want me to buy downloads online? They better be FLAC or SHN files. I agree with holding the product in your hands, reading the booklet, etc. I also have a couple hundred store bought tapes in storage (don't know how long they'll hold up) and literally hundreds of self made tapes. My physical cds never leave the house. Back when cars had cassette players in them, I had a lot of my cds on tape. The reason I'm still holding onto the tapes is I have an old sony boom box that sounds nice. It has a cd player too, but it doesn't always like cd-rs. Last 3 vehicles had cd AND cassette. I miss that! Now with the newer car, i just make cd-rs of stuff to listen to. If anybody breaks into it and steals the cd-rs, I lose the time I spent making them, but not the actual product itself. My mobile listening library is disposable, my home library sacred! :devil:

Lastly, I'd hate to keep my musical library on anything using a spinning plattter for archival purposes. ALL disks fail. You're better off backing up to DVD (pick a format).

Lastly, I'd hate to keep my musical library on anything using a spinning plattter for archival purposes. ALL disks fail. You're better off backing up to DVD (pick a format).

Ahh, come on, I know you're one of these old farts who still like to listen to their good, old 45rpms... :lol:

Do you guys realize where you're posting this grumpy-old-man nonsense?

This is the forum for ProgPower USA, a long-running metal festival that WOULD NOT EXIST if not for the ability of the Internet to bring a group of people with a niche interest together in real life. Moreover, half the people who attend the festival barely even go for the music anymore, they go for the *personal contact* with the lifelong friends that they have made there, friends they never would have even met without the Internet!

Neil

don't call me grumpy, chief. you don't even know me and it's not nonsense because i am not just speaking about the music industry i am speaking my thoughts on the world as a whole when it comes to being "disconnected." too much information and it becomes information overload and i find myself, personally, not bothering to keep up with current events because i cannot sort through all the pops-ups, the bombardment of advertising, etc. so i feel myself disconnecting from the world around me. i am grumpy? no, i am just aware of my surroundings and how it makes me feel and act everyday.

but i guess you are calling me grumpy due to my thoughts on the industry currently, but in fact i enjoy what i do with my labels and do it GLADLY in the face of what the industry is predicting will happen. if i was grumpy i would bail out now, but i don't because with the way my reissues have been selling (shipping nearly all 1,000 limited edition Casanova CDs in less than 3 weeks) i realize there are plenty of people out there like me and will support what i do for these bands and the cause.

also, i am not stupid. i know exactly what this board is as i have been a loyal PP attendee since PPII (except the year my apartment burned down 2 weeks before the event and i had to miss it). i usually don't give a crap about half the bands each year but i spend the money on tickets, hotel room and travel to come and hang out because it's one of the best fests i have ever been to and i come to support the genre on a whole.

Ahh, come on, I know you're one of these old farts who still like to listen to their good, old 45rpms... :lol:

Like you didn't offer me $100 for my close and play!

Still have some 45s that are going to probably go to E-bay. Original beatles stuff, and some metal goodies too....

I DO have a turntable! :devil:

Last edited by a moderator: