Is there a way to remove earwax properly?

Flow Of Time

Oct 6, 2012
Beacause if I use q-tips, I find myself at the doctor every 3 months, with a piece of it sticking on my eardrum.

And if I don't use q-tips, my ears get overflooded with that shit, to the point that I can't hear a fucking thing anymore. So I have to remove it with a q-tip again - with the same result as above.

51qgUukC1WL.jpg

not sure if it works though...

I'm going to do some research about that one. Would be absolutely willing to drop some money on a device like that, if it works.

Edit: Seems to be bullshit unfortunately :/

Q-Tip with a piece of plastic wrap over it? You shouldn't be digging too hard. They also make q-tips that have very little "fluff" on the end, like the ones used at doctors' offices to gag you with.

Use peroxyde :) A few drops in your ear, let it sink for 5 minutes with your head on the side (while in your bath for instance), then rinse.
Hope it'll help. You can probably softenit first with hot water (from your bath). Also, you will find it very weird to have something bubbling in your ear.
Do it, it's safe.

Honestly I've used q tips for my whole life and have NEVER had a problem with ear wax sticking on my eardrum. Don't let it build up so much (I clean my ears every 2-4 days) and you should be fine.

Pretty much all doctors I've talked to have recommended against using q-tips, since it always pushes some of the wax inside towards the eardrum, until it blocks it and you have to go to a doctor to remove it. My mom (also a doctor) has a metal tool of some sort that you use with water to rinse the wax out, but I'm not sure if those are available to the public? Seems like a simple enough mechanism for anyone to use though, you just can't operate it by yourself.

I personally just use q-tips though, since the shape of my ear canals seems to allow that. I get wax after loud gigs or wearing earplugs for a long time, but it never builds up and never really affects my hearing either. I recently had my ears checked at a doctor just to be sure, and she said that there was nothing to remove and my eardrums were clean. Knock on wood, I guess.

I hate using Q-Tips too. My girlfriend who's a nurse turned me onto this stuff called Debrox. Anything like it as well works too. Little drops you put in your ear like Plendakor said. Let it sit there, then i use a little hot water ball to wash all the crap out. Works awesome for me.

Q Tip user here, never had any problem, but I know it depends on people. The thing is to not use it horizontally cause all you're doing is removing half of it, and pushing the rest inside. You want to rotate inside, and not too hard. Then you don't push mush inside, you mainly remove, and by being gentle you don't risk loosing anything inside. Also use real good brand ones, not cheap ones which are more likely to turn into pieces in your eardrums. I also sometimes in the shower put hot water inside with pressure. The best is probably some kind of chemical liquid like the other mentioned

I think I have some kind of chemical liquid, that came with a balloon to flush the ear. I bought it to remove earwax, that was already sticking on the eardrum. But that didn't work perfectly, and I found that I needed a lot of pressure on the balloon. I could imagine it would work to remove normal earwax though... How much pressure do you normally need on the waterball?

I pretty much can't stand anything that I have to do myself because it never seems to work. But if I had to rank the methods I have used:

1. Having a doc/nurse blast your ears out with water: Hands down the best method so far as it completely gets is all out so you can start over. I usually do a drop of olive oil down the canal though as this leaves things a little dried out and somewhat uncomfortable. This is what my doctor uses, I don't dare to it to myself though because I can't see the thing. The water is loud as fuck and the pressure is a bit intense but it feels nice to have all your clarity back. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Ear-Syringe-Metal-4-oz/dp/B0008G1ZRS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1401890854&sr=8-5&keywords=ear+irrigation+system[/ame]

2. E.A.R. (pretty much debrox) with a water syringe. It works, but I was never able to get it all out and I have to do it several times waiting a good 10 mins in between water blasts so it's time consuming.

3. Peroxide with water syringe. Same as above.

4. Q tips: Just irritates the shit out of my ears and usually clogs the fuck out of them as I end up compacting the wax down the ear canal. I personally despise them.

That ear vacuum doesn't work AT ALL. Don't buy one, I was dumb enough to try it.

i have extremely waxy ear canals, one ear produces loads of ear wax and if i don't look after it i wake up not being able to hear anything in one ear sometimes, you can go and get them syringed (the metal water spray thing) but the doctor recommend to me that once a week i use body temp olive oil a few drops in the offending ear and leave it for 5-10 lying down, then sit up and clean up any gunk that falls out.

i've been doing this since the last time i went deaf in my ear, which was three years ago. I would wake up deaf every 2-3 months before that for about a year and half. Try it out as it doesn't harm your ear drum either.

Im surprised no one here has mentioned ear candling. I havent tried it myself (I actually have a few ear candles at home just havent used them yet) but it seems like a pretty effective way to clean out your ears.

Although it does seem a bit scary at first, lighting a candle on fire that sticking in your ear, but they say its perfectly safe.

Im surprised no one here has mentioned ear candling. I havent tried it myself (I actually have a few ear candles at home just havent used them yet) but it seems like a pretty effective way to clean out your ears.

Although it does seem a bit scary at first, lighting a candle on fire that sticking in your ear, but they say its perfectly safe.

That's because it's hippie bullshit.

It's both dangerous and ineffective.