Is there any other band.........

Originally posted by nyleve
If you're talking about metal, then there's Dream Theater, Magellan, Cynic, Angra ... so many great progmetal bands out there. Opeth is just one of them.

I find Dream Theater to be incredibly boring. It's like master chefs making grilled cheese sandwiches. Great musicians, making blah music.

I think Iron Maiden pretty much outways all metal (if you couldn't tell from all of my other posts), although they've had their bad moments, which Opeth hasn't. Blaze, however, kills common metal with their excellent power metal!! None have done that genre better than Blaze, IMO.

Empyria makes excellent music, but they're not really metal, they're more just progressive, and their vocalist sounds like Ozzy being ass raped by a very large man named Rose. No joke, his voice is pretty bad.

Area 54 also blows away the common band. But that's anouther story all together.

Then there's Dumah...:rolleyes: :lol: :D ;) :heh:

I'd really like to say: Dark Tranquillity, my long-time favorite band - but sadly, even they have their weak moments (even if you don't count the infamous "Archetype" as their song). :(

But not even Opeth is perfect (I can hear crowds yelling: "Blasphemer!" at this...)! Songs like April Ethereal and Dirge for November are IMHO rather weak; although not exactly _below_ the level of an average metal-song, but not much higher either. :|

-Villain

BLASPHEMERRRRRRR!!!!!!!! RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! LOL!! :)

April Ethereal has the most beautiful hum for the intro and the end melody is so emotional man! It kicks and rips flesh off ya face. :) I love it.

WarsofWinter,
no one comes close to Opeth as of yet.
I like Thy Serpent though above average. Try to download 'Crystalmoors', 'Wounds of Death' and 'Curtain of Treachery' to see what I mean. Curtain of Treachery has acoustic in it. Its really cool. Those Fin motherfuckers are the only ones to come close melodywise I think (in their own unique way though).

Look out for Thales too... he heheh.. those last two tracks they put up fucking rule.