isolation years... crap or awesome track?

I agree that it sounds kind of "out of place" within the context of the rest of the album. That being said though it is a WONDERFUL song taken on it's own. Absolutely beautiful and haunting...still gives me goose bumps even though I've listened to it about a bazillion times by now.

Why the fuck do people make this kind of questions?

Because some douches like me don't like it, not at all.. well.. maybe a little bit, but not much. :Smug: I don't know why, and it's very personnal, but I'm reading stuff and because this song can't be good for me, I get the feeling that everyone is sarcastic. Oh well, my girlfriend loves it, though.

I think i would rate Isolation Years - my top 5 Opeth songs.
It's the most beautiful mellow song they've done, the lyrics are just touching.

If people didn't know it was unrelated to the album's story, they would think it fits perfectly.

If people didn't know it was unrelated to the album's story, they would think it fits perfectly.

I agree with this. It's not as if there isn't other soft songs on Ghost Reveries (not much different then, oh, I don't know...'Hours Of Wealth'). And it is not as if it is randomly in the middle of a concept album (as it is the closing track) and from what I have heard all of the concept songs (tracks 1-7) have been scambled around anyway.

Truth is, I think it is a great individual song and I think it does fit the feel of the album (in its depressive/sense-of-loss kind of feel).

As someone said, GR is a story with mixed chapters and one that has nothing to do with the rest. (or something like that)
And atleast I like the idea when looked at like that.

^ I think it fits beautifully... a nice epilogue that does not necessarily have anything to do with the rest. I don't know why I feel it fits, but it simply does.