Israel's military actions justified?

RookParliament said:
There are four power plants in Lebanon. Israel has hit one. They could have hit the others anytime they wanted. Why haven't they?

Also Hezbollah is indiscrimenatly attacking civilians targets, but that gets a pass from you?

I am quite sad when I read these pro-israeli comments. They advocate war, and war against innocent civilians, as not only legitimate, but absolutely needed. Even though this seems to be happening all the time over the last 50 years, why does anyone support such callous state power? What if you were Lebanese, Palestinian (or Iraqi/Afghan), and like the vast majority, had no connections to terrorism, but instead, had ones livelihood destroyed, or relatives killed for no reason other than you were Lebanese? If so many are willing to accept such acts as moral and ethical (total war, killing and attacking civilian targets by a sovereign state's advanced military), then god help us in the future.

And what kind of moral relativism is that Rook PArliament. They've only destroyed one out of four power plants (not to mention the roads, bridges, ports, airport, they purposely targeted and destroyed), and Im supposed to feel like they did their best to not attack civilians like Hezbollah? Over 300 lebanese have been killed--most civilians-- while only 28 israelis (half soldiers) have been killed. Theres some facts for you. And 500,000 Lebanese people have been left homeless and without basic necessities: food, water.

And who says I gave Hezbollah a pass? I called them a illegal organization before. They captured soldiers remember? Israel has a duty as a state to act somewhat responsibly. It has a duty as a state with the second most advanced military in the world (but perhaps best trained).

Keltoi said:
What you are referring to is collective punishment. As a matter of military strategy, collective punishment is the only way to truly impact an insurgent/terrorist enemy who hides inside the civilian population. Is it nice and cuddly and politically correct? No. It would be much better if Hamas and Hezbollah looked at their military capability, looked at the suffering it can bring down upon their people, and decided it might be in their best interest to accept Israel's right to exist and seriously pursued a peaceful solution. Playing a pointless blame game about who did what to whom since the time of Adam is pointless and only breeds more hatred. As much as I would like to read a magazine and accept an article that agrees with my worldview(of which there are many), I prefer to base my opinions on critical thought and reality.
Another issue you raise is whether Israel is only "defending" itself. How can you defend Israel when Hezbollah is firing rockets and missiles from civilian areas in Beirut and other parts of Lebanon? Hezbollah aren't stupid, and they know what they are doing. They know that for Israel to truly confront them, they will have to live with civilian casualties on the ground. Hezbollah wouldn't have it any other way. Good propoganda for magazines like you mentioned. Love how you suggested we watch the BBC and Charlie Rose, media sources that strangely enough seem to agree with you...:lol:
Oh, and no I'm not Jewish. Are you a Muslim, you seem to have alot of sympathy for them...see how pathetic that is?

Critical thought and reality? Why do you choose to ignore the facts, while only stating beliefs and opinion about this "war"? Nonsense. You sound like the Israeli Rush Limbaugh, or BIll O'Reilly.

Your view of war is idiotic, doomed to failure, and contrary to history. No people have ever, ever given up when their homeland was invaded and taken from them--especially when such persons are treated as if they have no rights. Review history. The only time this has ever worked, is when the oppressed people are given full rights, left to act almost autonomously with little oversight, or almost completely wiped out (genocide). Israel refuses to make any comprimise in any direction. They have, and will continue to foster terrorism as long as they continue their heavy handed policies. I dont know why people dont see this? How many examples have their been in just the last thirty years? Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Algeria, Palestine, Angola, South Africa, Lebanon in the 80's, Georgia/Dagestan, Eritrea, Sudan; shall I go on?

All of the world but the mainstream American and Israeli press is strongly, strongly condemning the war. If you notice the American press is very critical when they report from Lebanon--most of the reporters are in northern israel. And if you watches something non-objective like Charlie Rose, you may have a different take on the situation.

speed said:
Critical thought and reality? Why do you choose to ignore the facts, while only stating beliefs and opinion about this "war"? Nonsense. You sound like the Israeli Rush Limbaugh, or BIll O'Reilly.

Your view of war is idiotic, doomed to failure, and contrary to history. No people have ever, ever given up when their homeland was invaded and taken from them--especially when such persons are treated as if they have no rights. Review history. The only time this has ever worked, is when the oppressed people are given full rights, left to act almost autonomously with little oversight, or almost completely wiped out (genocide). Israel refuses to make any comprimise in any direction. They have, and will continue to foster terrorism as long as they continue their heavy handed policies. I dont know why people dont see this? How many examples have their been in just the last thirty years? Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Algeria, Palestine, Angola, South Africa, Lebanon in the 80's, Georgia/Dagestan, Eritrea, Sudan; shall I go on?

All of the world but the mainstream American and Israeli press is strongly, strongly condemning the war. If you notice the American press is very critical when they report from Lebanon--most of the reporters are in northern israel. And if you watches something non-objective like Charlie Rose, you may have a different take on the situation.

I sound like the "Israeli Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly?" I guess I could sound like the leader of Hezbollah, that might make me more friends on this particular forum. Fortunately, I'm not here to parrot anti-Israeli propoganda.
First of all, there were no Israeli troops in Lebanon. So that little theory doesn't work there. Although I assume you are talking about the Palestinian issue. The central problem there is that Hamas refuses to acknowledge the right of Israel to exist in the first place, so how can you deal with a government who doesn't think you should exist? A two-state solution is the only way to find peace in that situation, but Hamas has shown their disinterest in such a settlement.
Charlie Rose is "non-objective?" I assume you meant "objective", but perhaps that was one of those little slips. In fact, I get my information from various sources. NYT, Al-Jazeera, all the TV news, etc. Finding an article that you agree with doesn't make it "objective." That is simply reinforcing your own beliefs. I respect your opinions, but I don't have to accept them. I know it is hip and somewhat politically correct to have hatred for Israel. I don't defend all the actions of Israel in regards to the Palestinian issue, just as I don't support Palestinians blowing up children with nailbombs. My concern is peace, and Hezbollah and Hamas were not created for peace. They were created for terrorism and bloodshed, and to foster hate for Jews. I feel for the people of Lebanon and Israel, and I hope the conflict ends soon. There is enough blame to go around on all sides, but the blame for this current conflict falls on Hezbollah.

Keltoi said:
I sound like the "Israeli Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly?" I guess I could sound like the leader of Hezbollah, that might make me more friends on this particular forum. Fortunately, I'm not here to parrot anti-Israeli propoganda.
First of all, there were no Israeli troops in Lebanon. So that little theory doesn't work there. Although I assume you are talking about the Palestinian issue. The central problem there is that Hamas refuses to acknowledge the right of Israel to exist in the first place, so how can you deal with a government who doesn't think you should exist? A two-state solution is the only way to find peace in that situation, but Hamas has shown their disinterest in such a settlement.
Charlie Rose is "non-objective?" I assume you meant "objective", but perhaps that was one of those little slips. In fact, I get my information from various sources. NYT, Al-Jazeera, all the TV news, etc. Finding an article that you agree with doesn't make it "objective." That is simply reinforcing your own beliefs. I respect your opinions, but I don't have to accept them. I know it is hip and somewhat politically correct to have hatred for Israel. I don't defend all the actions of Israel in regards to the Palestinian issue, just as I don't support Palestinians blowing up children with nailbombs. My concern is peace, and Hezbollah and Hamas were not created for peace. They were created for terrorism and bloodshed, and to foster hate for Jews. I feel for the people of Lebanon and Israel, and I hope the conflict ends soon. There is enough blame to go around on all sides, but the blame for this current conflict falls on Hezbollah.

Again you've offered nothing substantive here, other than your belief Israel is assailed from all sides, and must act the way it did. So, yes, these are all opinions, and this is a very complex situation. However, my contention is, and has been, the Israelis have acted in a most brutal and counterproductive fashion, and you have offerred nothing to refute this argument.

The issue is why the Israelis have acted with such violence, and have attacked so many civilian and infrastructure targets, when the enemy is a dispersed, well-trained underground terrorist organization who is not in control of the Lebanese government. And why the Israelis acted without negotiation or comprimise, nor without any international support. Here's a yahoo article from military analysts questioning the Israeli policy: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060720/ap_on_re_mi_ea/mideast_fighting_strategic_bombing

But this is just the tip of the iceberg. I mean, is Israel worried about Iranian power after it is obvious U.S. policy has failed miserably, and Iran has become more and more powerful. Lebanon has a great number of shiites you know Its just come out in the last few hours, old Bush himself gave the green light for a week of bombing, and then Israel is to draw back for fear of the consequences and disturbance such a attack would make. Or did Hezbollah capture the soldiers on Iranian orders? Or perhaps in response to Israeli brutality in the Gaza strip?

Israel is in South Lebanon right now; they've violated Lebanon's airspace, and its border thousands of times previously. And you forget that Hezbollah derived all of its current support from driving Israel out of Lebanon in the 1980's.

And I think we need a new terrorism thread: how they derive support etc.

speed said:
I am quite sad when I read these pro-israeli comments. They advocate war, and war against innocent civilians, as not only legitimate, but absolutely needed. Even though this seems to be happening all the time over the last 50 years, why does anyone support such callous state power? What if you were Lebanese, Palestinian (or Iraqi/Afghan), and like the vast majority, had no connections to terrorism, but instead, had ones livelihood destroyed, or relatives killed for no reason other than you were Lebanese? If so many are willing to accept such acts as moral and ethical (total war, killing and attacking civilian targets by a sovereign state's advanced military), then god help us in the future.

And what kind of moral relativism is that Rook PArliament. They've only destroyed one out of four power plants (not to mention the roads, bridges, ports, airport, they purposely targeted and destroyed), and Im supposed to feel like they did their best to not attack civilians like Hezbollah? Over 300 lebanese have been killed--most civilians-- while only 28 israelis (half soldiers) have been killed. Theres some facts for you. And 500,000 Lebanese people have been left homeless and without basic necessities: food, water.

And who says I gave Hezbollah a pass? I called them a illegal organization before. They captured soldiers remember? Israel has a duty as a state to act somewhat responsibly. It has a duty as a state with the second most advanced military in the world (but perhaps best trained).

Listen I have never supported this violence. Earlier in this thread I deplored it. I have called the Israeli response an overreaction. My responses are not isolated from each other. But I am trying to give you the mentality of Israel. They are trying to protect their people. The destruction of infrastructure, which is not total or seeks to be total, seeks a double objective of slowing down Hezbollah's retreat back into Syria, and to pressure the Lebanese government to clamp down on Hezbollah. Will it work? More than likely not. The best Israel can hope for is hurting Hezbollah so they do not commit any more organized acts for a few years. Even that is doubtful. Israel was formed surrounded by enemies. The mentality is still there. I do not remember the name of the Israeli stateman who said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "We must be like a mad dog, too dangerous to bother."

So Israel is supposed to do what Hezbollah itself can't? Care for Lebanese civilians? I don't wish their death, and Israel does what it can to limit casualties. I wish this whole war had never started so there would be no civilian casualties. I wish the Palestinians had attempted non-violent resistance, so they would have had their own state by now. And I wish the mentality in Israeli goverment changed so they did not react like they are doing right now. But you know the saying, "Wish in one hand, and shit in the other..."

And Speed I am quite sad to read a comment calling for Israel to be nuked.

RookParliament said:
Listen I have never supported this violence. Earlier in this thread I deplored it. I have called the Israeli response an overreaction. My responses are not isolated from each other. But I am trying to give you the mentality of Israel. They are trying to protect their people. The destruction of infrastructure, which is not total or seeks to be total, seeks a double objective of slowing down Hezbollah's retreat back into Syria, and to pressure the Lebanese government to clamp down on Hezbollah. Will it work? More than likely not. The best Israel can hope for is hurting Hezbollah so they do not commit any more organized acts for a few years. Even that is doubtful. Israel was formed surrounded by enemies. The mentality is still there. I do not remember the name of the Israeli stateman who said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "We must be like a mad dog, too dangerous to bother."

So Israel is supposed to do what Hezbollah itself can't? Care for Lebanese civilians? I don't wish their death, and Israel does what it can to limit casualties. I wish this whole war had never started so there would be no civilian casualties. I wish the Palestinians had attempted non-violent resistance, so they would have had their own state by now. And I wish the mentality in Israeli goverment changed so they did not react like they are doing right now. But you know the saying, "Wish in one hand, and shit in the other..."

And Speed I am quite sad to read a comment calling for Israel to be nuked.

Well i agree with most of that, except your point that Israel is doing its best to limit civilian casualities.

The nuke israel was a joke in response to Egor's nuclear mania. It doesnt sounds like a joke anymore, after all of this heated discussion. But sadly, I agree with Harry Truman, and think the creation of Israel was a huge mistake. I blame the Brits in the end.

speed said:
Again you've offered nothing substantive here, other than your belief Israel is assailed from all sides, and must act the way it did. So, yes, these are all opinions, and this is a very complex situation. However, my contention is, and has been, the Israelis have acted in a most brutal and counterproductive fashion, and you have offerred nothing to refute this argument.

The issue is why the Israelis have acted with such violence, and have attacked so many civilian and infrastructure targets, when the enemy is a dispersed, well-trained underground terrorist organization who is not in control of the Lebanese government. And why the Israelis acted without negotiation or comprimise, nor without any international support. Here's a yahoo article from military analysts questioning the Israeli policy: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060720/ap_on_re_mi_ea/mideast_fighting_strategic_bombing

But this is just the tip of the iceberg. I mean, is Israel worried about Iranian power after it is obvious U.S. policy has failed miserably, and Iran has become more and more powerful. Lebanon has a great number of shiites you know Its just come out in the last few hours, old Bush himself gave the green light for a week of bombing, and then Israel is to draw back for fear of the consequences and disturbance such a attack would make. Or did Hezbollah capture the soldiers on Iranian orders? Or perhaps in response to Israeli brutality in the Gaza strip?

Israel is in South Lebanon right now; they've violated Lebanon's airspace, and its border thousands of times previously. And you forget that Hezbollah derived all of its current support from driving Israel out of Lebanon in the 1980's.

And I think we need a new terrorism thread: how they derive support etc.

Many Israelis are angry with the U.S. putting a time limit on Israeli military action. Their response is something like "Did the U.S. give themselves a 10 day time limit to fight the Taliban or the Iraq insurgents?" I can understand this thought. You have to remember that for all intents and purposes, Hezbollah are civilians. They live and plan from packed apartment buildings. In fact, Hezbollah headquarters in Beirut is in a family complex. This is no accident. I understand being outraged by civilians deaths, obviously. I've yet to see you post anything resembling a military alternative for Israel. You seem to think there are Hezbollah missile launchers in isolated areas, as if Hezbollah is concerned about civilian damage. Maybe we can agree on this. Hezbollah triggered these events and Israel responded brutally. Both are to blame here in some sense, although if 8 U.S. soldiers were killed and 2 kidnapped by an armed group living in Jaurez, Mexico, you can bet that Juarez would be a smoking pit in 2 weeks, unless the Mexican government did something to prove they had control of the situation. Israel doesn't have a government in Lebanon capable of controlling Hezbollah, so what are their option? Blowing up a highway and a few bridges isn't going to stop Hezbollah from firing 100 missiles a day at Israel. Hezbollah, as a matter of course, puts their military assets in civilian areas. What should Israel do to protect its people?

speed said:
Well i agree with most of that, except your point that Israel is doing its best to limit civilian casualities.

The nuke israel was a joke in response to Egor's nuclear mania. It doesnt sounds like a joke anymore, after all of this heated discussion. But sadly, I agree with Harry Truman, and think the creation of Israel was a huge mistake. I blame the Brits in the end.

Sometimes I dream of the better world it would be if Utah had been colonized by Jews instead of being the site of Mormonism. Or if after WW2 Eastern Prussia had become the Jewish homeland... But I hate alternative history writers so I won't go in that direction anymore.

Keltoi said:
Many Israelis are angry with the U.S. putting a time limit on Israeli military action. Their response is something like "Did the U.S. give themselves a 10 day time limit to fight the Taliban or the Iraq insurgents?" I can understand this thought. You have to remember that for all intents and purposes, Hezbollah are civilians. They live and plan from packed apartment buildings. In fact, Hezbollah headquarters in Beirut is in a family complex. This is no accident. I understand being outraged by civilians deaths, obviously. I've yet to see you post anything resembling a military alternative for Israel. You seem to think there are Hezbollah missile launchers in isolated areas, as if Hezbollah is concerned about civilian damage. Maybe we can agree on this. Hezbollah triggered these events and Israel responded brutally. Both are to blame here in some sense, although if 8 U.S. soldiers were killed and 2 kidnapped by an armed group living in Jaurez, Mexico, you can bet that Juarez would be a smoking pit in 2 weeks, unless the Mexican government did something to prove they had control of the situation. Israel doesn't have a government in Lebanon capable of controlling Hezbollah, so what are their option? Blowing up a highway and a few bridges isn't going to stop Hezbollah from firing 100 missiles a day at Israel. Hezbollah, as a matter of course, puts their military assets in civilian areas. What should Israel do to protect its people?

Well Iraq is getting worse and so is Afghanistan (just in the news that attacks in Iraq have increased 40% in the last two months). So maybe they should've put a time limit on our occupation, and just left them to the inevitable civil war.

Yes but again, Hezbollah is not a State. And as such, the lines between civilian and Hezbollah become so murky, how can Israel be justified in its bombings? And furthermore, what good will the bombings do to such a undeground organization--especially after it is obvious the Lebanese people have not been so shocked as to support the withdrawal of Hezbollah, but in fact, seem to be supporting them even more) It is obvious even in the mainstream news, that the Israelis have acheived nothing, and with their limited invasion, turned back after meeting stiff Hezbollah resistance. According to even Conservative analysts, unlike Al Quaida, Hezbollah is highly trained in guerrila wafare, and actually seems to be provoking Israel into getting bogged down.

We are all brats at school all getting upset and bullied and fighting with each other thats the nature of humans... greedy, selfish, ignorant, the list goes on and on thats us humans ..im afraid to say Leftys. and in this mess of a human civilisation we need people in authority keeping control..... and in our time its the Americans. and they are doing a good job too. You fools out there who dis America have short memories... young americans in their thousands died for democracy in ww2... for you. so you could all talk shite on forums. How long for example has America had "Nukes" yeah right.... and how many times have they been used since Japan?..... yeah you got it. You whinning moaners need to know who your real friends are cause without them and especially if your a woman.... you would not be allowed the luxury of expressing opinions on the internet. Apparantly Iran is nice at this time of the year... why dont you all piss off over there. :headbang:

www.Agankast.com

EGOR said:
We are all brats at school all getting upset and bullied and fighting with each other thats the nature of humans... greedy, selfish, ignorant, the list goes on and on thats us humans ..im afraid to say Leftys. and in this mess of a human civilisation we need people in authority keeping control..... and in our time its the Americans. and they are doing a good job too. You fools out there who dis America have short memories... young americans in their thousands died for democracy in ww2... for you. so you could all talk shite on forums. How long for example has America had "Nukes" yeah right.... and how many times have they been used since Japan?..... yeah you got it. You whinning moaners need to know who your real friends are cause without them and especially if your a woman.... you would not be allowed the luxury of expressing opinions on the internet. Apparantly Iran is nice at this time of the year... why dont you all piss off over there. :headbang:

www.Agankast.com

You sound like a less-than-eloquent American Hobbes. I dont think the United States has done a very good job since WWII. Countless nations in poverty due to Bretton Woods, and the World Bank/IMF austerity programs coupled with free trade, countless rogue nations now acheiving nuclear status. We have done some good like preventing a major world war, and increasing the wealth of the industrialized world. But i think nuclear deterrence was a major factor in preventing the world war. Thus our successes have been economic. Anyhoo, I have far too much free time at the office.

speed said:
You sound like a less-than-eloquent American Hobbes. I dont think the United States has done a very good job since WWII. Countless nations in poverty due to Bretton Woods, and the World Bank/IMF austerity programs coupled with free trade, countless rogue nations now acheiving nuclear status. We have done some good like preventing a major world war, and increasing the wealth of the industrialized world. But i think nuclear deterrence was a major factor in preventing the world war. Thus our successes have been economic. Anyhoo, I have far too much free time at the office.

Maybe this isn't the thread to place it but free trade has increased the affluence of some nations, especially those in Southeastern Asia. Where free trade hasn't succeeded its usually a combination of the inequality in world trade imposed by the World Bank/IMF and subsidies that are given out by the US/European governments to their own businesses, coupled with major corruption among many underdevoloped nations.

I support free trade, support the existence of Israel, and believe in property rights and individualism. I'm everything you hate speed.:rolleyes: :)

Keltoi said:
. What should Israel do to protect its people?

Stop giving Hezbollah and whoever has anything against Israel a REASON to have it in the first place.
RELEASE the Lebanese prisoners that have been in Israeli jails for more than two decades. And don't tell me they are casualties of war or whatnot. Israel is still talking about getting the "remains" of Ron Arad, the pilot they lost in the 1980's war. So why shouldn't the Lebanese have the right to ask for the several hundred prisoners still detained in Israeli jails?
Hezbollah wants to negotiate and exchange the 2 prisoners it kidnapped. Now, if they didn't have any reason to attack Israel...do you think anyone would be criticizing Israel for defending itself? NO.
Don't get me wrong, even though I am Lebanese I am not taking sides. Enough blood has been shed on both sides. It is time to forget our differences and try to work on accepting each other and living as neighbours. Pointing fingers, and pointless arguing will get us no where.
Again, I hope this stops soon.
Cheers,

I don't mind the violence. The fact is in life that if you make a bad design, and refuse to admit what's wrong, it blows up in your faces.

America and Israel have both pushed an agenda for years and lied about what that agenda is. It's time for them to admit they're Nazis, and for us to tolerate that Nazi instinct, because it's simply self-preservation.

I mean, let's get realistic here.

EGOR said:

www.Agankast.com

Actually, seems Iraq and Afghanistan are much worse places for women since America interefered than before hand. They are more oppressed by their men now because of our presence in their land. They used to be allowed to walk around unveiled, in western dress etc, and many went to school and university but this luxury has been taken away out of fear.

Also, in response to the "Americans keeping control," no, they are not. In fact, they are breeding more hatred and resentment, and are encouraging terrorist activities, as are they actions of the Israelis just as Speed has previously mentioned.

Neith said:
Actually, seems Iraq and Afghanistan are much worse places for women since America interefered than before hand. They are more oppressed by their men now because of our presence in their land. They used to be allowed to walk around unveiled, in western dress etc, and many went to school and university but this luxury has been taken away out of fear.

Also, in response to the "Americans keeping control," no, they are not. In fact, they are breeding more hatred and resentment, and are encouraging terrorist activities, as are they actions of the Israelis just as Speed has previously mentioned.

Women walked around in western dress and unveiled in Afghanistan under the Taliban? News to me. Schools weren't popular in Afghanistan, much less universities. Iraq, yes the women didn't have to wear a veil and they had universities. However, it isn't the U.S. bombing the Iraqis now, it is Saddam Ba'athists and jihadists. Is this due to American involvement in Iraq? Of course. We should leave Iraq as soon as possible and let them slaughter each other.

RookParliament said:
Maybe this isn't the thread to place it but free trade has increased the affluence of some nations, especially those in Southeastern Asia. Where free trade hasn't succeeded its usually a combination of the inequality in world trade imposed by the World Bank/IMF and subsidies that are given out by the US/European governments to their own businesses, coupled with major corruption among many underdevoloped nations.

I support free trade, support the existence of Israel, and believe in property rights and individualism. I'm everything you hate speed.:rolleyes: :)

Well this is a different thread. Do you wish to start it? My last economics based thread has barely stirred up a whimper. Perhaps yours will be more exciting.