It's official.....Powerball....

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Ok...I officially HATE Engl Powerball!
It's incredibelly bassy, fizzy and...bodyless!
I reamped a song yesterday and it turned out very bad, and moreover, with all these pots you need 6 months to get a decent sound from it. :puke:

Ch 3, bass to 0-2, ALWAYS keep presence below 4, do not use V30 speakers (G12T-75 instead, for example) and keep the gain at 10 o'clock MAX. Mids and treble to taste, enjoy. Oh and Depth Punch to where you get enough OOMPH for chugs.

You might also test out using a bit milder preamp tubes for the first one, maybe a 12AT7 instead of 12AX7.

Ok...I officially HATE Engl Powerball!
It's incredibelly bassy, fizzy and...bodyless!
. :puke:

every good engineer learns that about the powerball at some point ;)

the settings torniojaws just posted are 100% what I'm doing...that's the way to get a decent sound out of it.

still doesn't beat a recto, 5150, krank, marshall ms-2

you knew I had to chime in ;)

What's a Marshall MS-2?

Marshall%20MS-2%20Mini%20Amp%20Lg.jpg

EPIC FAIL!

Sorry but if you can't get a good sound out of the box, the unit is faulty or you suck :lol:

Eheh....why don't you tell the same to Lasse? :)
Anyway...If on a 1500€ amp I have to use a single bass setting to get a decent sound, let me think it sucks. It's a personal taste of course.
I think it's good when you play through it, but when you put a mic in front of the speaker...it becomes really hard to find a good tone.
Probably trying a little more with it, I could find a better tone....but my first impression was that.
Fortunatelly I have all the DI's :)

The best clip of the PB I've heard was lekteri's in this thread, and even so, it's still got that grain to it, so IMO this sums it up

the settings torniojaws just posted are 100% what I'm doing...that's the way to get a decent sound out of it.

still doesn't beat a recto, 5150, krank, marshall ms-2

Well, except for that last one :D

I had no problem when I had one... Now I have to find all my old recordings.

noone says there aren's decent results possible...take me 5 mins to get a decent sound out of the PB...
but I dare everyone to come up with a PB clip that wins in a blind test(poll) against a clip I'm recording with recto or 5150

that's actually a good idea, what do yous think?

I have to say that all the Engl I have tried are absolutelly not plug & play amps....they seem amps that take lot of time to obtain a good result.
And I have an Engl Savage

cant say i was the hugest fan when recording one recently... dont get me wrong, it doesnt sound BAD just not that great

cant say i was the hugest fan when recording one recently... dont get me wrong, it doesnt sound BAD just not that great

From what I've heard, the Savage and Fireball trump the PB for metal, and the Blackmore and Savage trump the PB for rock and clean.

noone says there aren's decent results possible...take me 5 mins to get a decent sound out of the PB...
but I dare everyone to come up with a PB clip that wins in a blind test(poll) against a clip I'm recording with recto or 5150

that's actually a good idea, what do yous think?

The first amp that wasn't my own that I recorded, was a Power Ball. If I have a chance to borrow the amp from the guy I'll let you know.

I tweaked it for about 45 mins, I got this:

http://www.myspace.com/thetomatofarmstudio

"Man the Ramparts- Track 1 (Rough*cough very*)"

I actually think it's a unique tone, not horrible, but definitely not great.