I've been listening to some gothic metal lately

The Bringer

Dec 8, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
And I am wondering if anyone can recommend the best gothic bands out there? I've been listening to Farmer Boys, Within Temptation, After Forever, For My Pain...

That's what I've found so far and I really like it.

If recommendation threads are not allowed, please lock. I don't know the rules. :oops:

Farmer Boys are gothic? They just sounded shit to me! And I'm not even saying that just to ruin the thread, I'm just surprised they are considered gothic. I've seen a few of their videos on DVD compilations, and they just seem like an awful indie band! But maybe I was so put off by the name that I didn't listen hard enough.

Tristania is THE ONLY really great goth/doom band that I've heard that I really love. They keep it heavy and interesting... sometimes a little too catchy. Listen to Beyond the Veil or World of Glass.

Theate of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear,s/t
Leaves' Eyes-Lovelorn

Liv Kristine(now liv krull) sings on all these albums so they are essential. Those two specific theatre of tragedy albums are gothic/doom.

I like Moonspell very much, Tiamat, Tristania... One of my favourite bands is Fields Of The Nephilim, they are really great. It's classic! And they are realeasing a new album soon...

The Vision Bleak, The Gathering, Penumbra, Nemesea, Mortal Love, Crematory

I'm a newb to the subgenre but this stuff hasn't been added yet.

Edit - Catafalque and Theatre of Tragedy

The Gathering - especially Mandylion
Moonspell - Wolfheart
Samael - Passage
Tristania are alright

I really can't think of anything else that isn't unbearably pretentious and uninteresting in this genre.

Sirenia is gothic metal, but I think Tristania is much better, I like 'World Of Glass". And listen to the first The 3rd And The Mortal album called 'Tears Laid In Earth'.