I've been listening to some gothic metal lately

Erik said:
o i c this is gothic metal i must change my list

I don't "classify" this album in any genre, since it doesn't really do it justice, but it's considered by many as gothic metal, so I list it as such since it might have some appeal. It seems pretty clear to me how that album would appeal to many fans of this genre.

now go change your list.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Passage is hardly goth metal. A few songs are pretty good though.

It's not THAT far off. At least if we're talking about the more techno-ish side of Gothic Metal and not the "operatic" style. I mean, I used to be a goth & listen to EBM (which is mostly pure shit) and those kinds of things, so I think I'm familiar with what would appeal to "goths".

Lacrimosa is a very good gothic band and 'Elodia' is regarded as their best album. Check it out if you don't mind German lyrics.

The Gathering 'mandylion' is great, but I prefere their first doom/death album 'always'. Very unorthodox,unique doom metal for 1992. The keyboard playing and atmosphere is very odd too. I've never heard anything like it.

In Sickness & Health, The Mirror Waters and Gaya's Dream are killer songs especially.

The Gathering is definitely a great band. I'm not sure any of their material can really be called gothic metal, but I guess Mandylion is some kind of gothic/doom metal cocktail. From there on they've slowly started going into a different direction though (dropped most of the doom influences and went more into rock/spacerock territory). But they are absolutely head and shoulders above the other female fronted Dutch metal bands (After Forever, and especially Within Temptation).

Sentenced, though not sure they're considered 100% Gothic Metal, A Cold White Light is probably their best post-Death Metal album. And relative to Sentenced is the band Poisonblack, nothing special but some good songs.