I've discovered something about online friends lately

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
I've discovered something about online friends very recently. After a dispute with someone from a non-GMD forum last night, I've discovered what's the use having online friends that do nothing for you. Since posting on metal forums since 2006, it seems as the years grow apart, so does my closeness to online friends. I've had ones I was so close to 2 years ago but now we barely talk. Is this normal? I like generally everyone on these UM boards, but it seems I'm only really close to a few people on here. Does it matter if most of your online friends are gone? Are they there for you at the end of the day? It seems the people that have my back are generally those IRL. I posed these questions to someone I had a dispute with last night and was considering blocking that peson from a certain messenger for drama and no common interests. But this thread isn't about my situation, it was an enlightening experience last night that brought these things to hand. This is more a philosophical question and discussion, but all views are welcome, this is not a misanthropic thread, rather I'm dealing with the realness of friends departing.:)

How many friends "IRL" though would you keep once your life took you to another location? It is no different than friends made online based on a common interest/online "location". Once your paths take seperate directions how many people are going to make the effort to maintain any kind of regular contact over the years?
Maybe like 1 or 2 and thats even for "RL" friends.

Interesting responses honestly since high school there's only a couple of close friends I keep in contact with, it seems friends seems to be a come and go thing on the Net more so in real life, though I can see the effects after graduating high school. Sinc then, I see friends around town, but there's only a few I keep up with. And I decided to block the person I was talking to, life will go on, I'd rather not tell the whole GMD someone's personal details, but I will say this person has some mental issues which lead to drama which lead to me not caring for that.

I've discovered something about online friends very recently. After a dispute with someone from a non-GMD forum last night, I've discovered what's the use having online friends that do nothing for you. Since posting on metal forums since 2006, it seems as the years grow apart, so does my closeness to online friends. I've had ones I was so close to 2 years ago but now we barely talk. Is this normal? I like generally everyone on these UM boards, but it seems I'm only really close to a few people on here. Does it matter if most of your online friends are gone? Are they there for you at the end of the day? It seems the people that have my back are generally those IRL. I posed these questions to someone I had a dispute with last night and was considering blocking that peson from a certain messenger for drama and no common interests. But this thread isn't about my situation, it was an enlightening experience last night that brought these things to hand. This is more a philosophical question and discussion, but all views are welcome, this is not a misanthropic thread, rather I'm dealing with the realness of friends departing.:)

GO OUTSIDE.

I've had online friendships that have been very meaningful and important to me, but it still isn't the same as being able to physically see and spend time with friends IRL and I don't have a problem letting go of an online friend if the relationship isn't worth the effort. However, the usual reason I have for not speaking to someone anymore is just because I get really insanely busy and I don't always have the time to maintain friendships online.

I don't think I have ever had an online friendship as I mostly use the medium for general discussion and not with the goal to building meaningful relationships--as I have enough of that in real life at the moment. Thus, my online activities are more of an escape for me from everyday life.

Online friendships can be meaningful, but they can also appear that way and be fleeting in the end. It's nice to have someone to talk to that's not at all involved with your other friends and daily life, so it's worthwhile to maintain that.

Online friendships can be meaningful, but they can also appear that way and be fleeting in the end. It's nice to have someone to talk to that's not at all involved with your other friends and daily life, so it's worthwhile to maintain that.

Agreed. I've had a few online friendships that turned into lasting, meaningful relationships but most of them are people I connected with briefly and then didn't hear much from anymore.