I've found some of my old writing about Morningrise!

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
It's a cool November morning here [2000, for those wondering] in Atlanta, and for some reason or another I've been awake since about 6am. Not really out of bed, just awake. Don't know why. I threw on Morningrise and just laid back in bed and listened. Not just listened, but really LISTENED and let it become my entire consciousness. For two complete spins.

First off, I've considered Morningrise my favorite album for quite some time, yet I probably haven't listened to it in a couple months what with all my other listening duties and a bunch of other useless excuses I could give. It's a special album anyway, not the kind that SHOULD become your every night dinnerware... more like the fine china you pull out when you want the meal to be special, if that makes any sense.

But anyway, today I did listen once again.

Wow.

This is still the most perfect album ever recorded.

And you know, after those two spins I'd gotten out of bed, powered up the machine, and had every intention in the world of writing the most powerful testimonial that this album has ever received and once again I'm stopped dead in my tracks realizing that I can't write anything that praises this album highly enough. So just some thoughts...

The only thing that can be labeled a proper 'song' is the first part of The Night and the Silent Water. And I don't care. The meandering nature of the pieces works perfectly. You're in one place, and you travel along a path, and you're in another place that you're only in for a few moments and then you're off to somewhere else. The more I hear of the softer 'dancing in the dandelions' kind of really mellow prog the more I'm convinced that Opeth is the only metal band to do this correctly at all; nobody else is even close. Perhaps this is why My Arms Your Hearse is my least favorite Opeth album [that opinion since revised. Heh], as the shock between the change from this style to a more riff-oriented, more standard metal style was a shock to me. When off of MAYH is still my single favorite Opeth song however. But so many metal bands when they do this kind of thing, you can tell that they are a metal band adding in other influences.

Morningrise sounds like it's unintentionally and just coincidentally metal. It really sounds like it is music that was just done in whatever way it was done, and that it just happened to be expressed (partially) in a way that we call metal. And it might even just be the vocals. If this album was released with just Mikael's softer clean vocals that appeal here, would this have been a metal album at all? Sure it has some pretty intense guitar amongst all the meanderings but then again so does a lot of prog. Just something to think about.

I like Mikael's clean vocals here. Sure, he's not as good in the strictest sense as he went on to be, but his almost tentative nature to be found here fits in with the not as focused nature of the music.

Black Rose Immortal, 7:22-8:56, is the greatest passage of music I have ever, ever heard.

... and being the judgemental asshole that I am, and reading the messageboards and mailing lists as I do, I notice some things about people and I'm about to make some generalized statements that might piss some off but I don't care. Those who like MAYH or Still Life better than Morningrise seem to me to care more about metal itself than about good music... which sounds strange coming from me, the man with 1000+ metal CDs. But that's the sense I get. And those who would proclaim that Opeth flat out sucks, just seem to me to not be interested in music at all in any form, but rather attracted to other things about noise coming out of their stereo. I'm not talking those who dislike Opeth (and I don't understand that either) because taste is taste, but those who can't recognize Morningrise especially as having anything worthy at all, I will bet you all sorts of money I don't have that even if you took music completely out of the factoring, I wouldn't get along with this person on any level personally. It's just the feeling I get.

Mikael was absolutely insane to not keep De Farfalla. Period. That wanting to keep a bass a bass nonsense just doesn't hold up when you hear just how much a healthy dose of lead bass lifts this music up.

The more personal nature of the lyrics on Morningrise are another thing that make it a much more intense listen than the stories that would follow. It's incredible how everything changed after this album. The lineup, the style, the lyrics...

Just writing this Morningrise has gone through almost another full spin of its 66:07. I have to give Dan Swanö his share of credit because he is responsible for the actual sound of the thing. There is something transcendent, just not of this world, like the entire album is out of place, not of this time, like some fragment of another existence fell out of the sky and was packaged up and given to us as Morningrise. And more than anything else it makes me truly sad to know I can't ever be part of that existence and know what a world would be like where an album like Morningrise is the expected norm, where an album like Morningrise is what the average person puts on when they want to listen to music. Can you imagine such a place???

I guess to wrap up... Opeth has never released less than an excellent album. But they have only released one perfect album.

Morningrise.

^ Great Post Man...

Morningrise was my favourite until I received Deliverence, I played it last night for the gawd knows how many time's on my modest Hi-Fi set up, "I must get my good one set up."

For the first time in Wreath I heard this amazing bit of Guitar playing, I stopped my writing on my PC and thought, why haven't I heard it like that before ?

That to me is the wonder of Opeth., it isn't the first time a part of their music has revealed itself in this way.

First thoughs are, there is so much happening in their music, you tend to focus on one or two elements of the tune.

I agree De-Farfalla is/was a great Bass Player with Opeth, but Martin Mendez is easily his equal, if not better...

Just watch the man play live or see him on Lamentations...

He plays with heart and soul, as do all the Members of Mike's amazing band...

Long live Opeth :D

Wow - I have to find my old review of it and share it with you Jim, I'm trying to track it down and will post it if I can find it.

Suffice to say, you and I have very much in common when it comes to this album, and their style at the time.

I remember reading your thoughts on the old PM board years ago and when you read my review you will see that it definitely had an affect on me.

Anyway, great read then, and still a great read now. :)

Jason

dcat said:
I agree De-falla is/was a great Bass Player with Opeth, but Martin Mendez is easily his equal, if not better...

No doubt, no doubt... but in 2000, without having seen him play the old stuff, there was uncertainly about that.

I love me some active, equal-in-the-mix bass.

Morningrise is my alltime favorite album also. I hate to hear people say that they "matured" their sound after it. They just changed it to something more straitforward and metal. Its always good to hear good bands progressing while still making good music. It just so happens that they made my favorite style early in their carreer.

Praise to Morningrise! It's my alltime favorite album too. There is something so emotional and beautiful about it. Everytime I put it on I'm blown away.

Hey man, great post...

I would just like to say that, I could not disagree with you more. However, I don't think that has anything to do with the fact that "i love metal too much" or "I'm not really into it for really mindblowing music". In fact, metal cd's probably take up only 20% of my music collection. Furthermore, as a musician I also must say that I am a music addict and the only reaon I listen to anything is for its mindblowing quality. Nevertheless, I would put forth the argument that Morningrise is - in fact - the most inferior Opeth effort (not saying its bad at all). I think there are extrmemly valid reasons for rating the album the way I have and although I'm sure it's futile to relate my ideas in any attempt to convince you (unless you insist:Spin: ), I am just making this post to convey the fact that there are some people out there that really know their music who would disagree with you.

I would take My Arms your Hearse over Morningrise any day of the week but the fact that it is more metal has nothing to do with it. And if I were to apply the wonderful description you gave morningrise to an Opeth album I would actually describe "Orchid" that way. To me, at least, Orchid is a far superior effort in almost every way. In fact, Orchid is something that - only in certain ways - surpasses ALL post-orchid efforts in my opinion.

Im not saying your opinion is less valid than mine or anything like that, like I said, I am just writing this to present the other side of the discussion since I feel that to say "Morningrise owns all" is not the be-all, end-all of the topic.

Funny - Deliverance has grown on me in the last week. Wreath is the most intense opener ever. And BTPISIO is the grooviest closer ever.

Mikael's lyrics in Morningrise are very personal. I discovered Morningrise around the time of my grandfathers suicide and first break-up, so I have a strong emotional connection with that album which amplifies the listening experience.

What? No, I'm not an emo kid.

edit - Johan definately enhances the listening experience too.

I read that before on Opeth's site. Very cool review; probably one of the best I've ever read.

Morningrise is my favorite Opeth album.

I don't think morningrise is my favourite album, but its way up there in the top few. I prefer the more prog sound of still life / ghost reveries / bwp - not because it is more metal etc. I just love prog and all the melodies in that album just speak right to me, love em!

Orchid and Morningrise are still incredible albums though.

Jim LotFP said:
This is still the most perfect album ever recorded.
haha most perfect :loco:

The more I hear of the softer 'dancing in the dandelions' kind of really mellow prog the more I'm convinced that Opeth is the only metal band to do this correctly at all; nobody else is even close.
i can totally relate to that

as the shock between the change from this style to a more riff-oriented, more standard metal style was a shock to me.
wow, the shock was a shock - you don't say :D

morningrise is definitely a very special album - the culmination of opeth's first era, i like it way more than orchid. i'd like to think that the fact that it's so close to perfect is part of the reason why mike changed the direction, and i'm very glad that he did.

Jim,

Just found my old Morningrise review. Here it is:

"And so the journey begins. A disc that would change the way I look at music forever, expanding my horizons in so many unforgettable ways; showing me that a piece of music does not have to be simple to be memorable, nor formulaic to be magical.

Sweden's OPETH are by no means strangers to the underground metal scene, having developed quite a cult following since their first release back in 1994. Their first two albums 1994's Orchid and 1996's Morningrise are quite different from their later works, the band having undergone both style and lineup changes beginning with 1998's My Arms, Your Hearse. But if Morningrise was to be the last testament to their original sound, it could not have been a more fitting one.

There really is no way to adequately categorize the style of music heard here, only that each song is a progressive, hypnotic musical journey of at least 10 minutes in length, utilizing both harsh and clean vocals, haunting acoustical passages, thunderous riffs, beautifully poetic lyrics and song structures that defy the very definition of the word "structure". There are no big choruses, no numbered verses, no catchy hooks or bridges, no boundaries of any kind; only 4 amazingly talented musicians playing from their soul from beginning to end. You simply never know what to expect. You can be standing alone on a hillside in the moonlight, desperate, agonizing and tormented over the loneliness, then suddenly be taken on a soft, majestic passage flying through wooded fields, a peaceful place now lost in a far faded memory. These types of transitions and imagery are seamless and occur from the first note of the album to the last. Sometimes, if you are not familiar with the different songs, it's even hard to tell where one ends and the next one begins, and yet there are an infinite amount of emotions displayed in every passage. And each emotional journey is portrayed as vividly as the next; it's really up to the listener to discover them all.

The musicianship is top-notch, with each instrument (including the vocals) having a chance to wander in their own direction. In one sense, the songs are almost like "jam sessions" (albeit not nearly as raw) where everyone does their own thing and the final product isn't really meant to have any cohesion whatsoever. In another sense, the songs are woven together as if by some grand design where, after the final product is accomplished, the vision becomes clear with crystallized clarity. The vocals are incomparable and are perfect for the moods displayed on the album. Mikael Akerfeldt (main singer/songwriter/2nd guitar) is one of the best growlers on the planet no matter what pitch he chooses to sing in. On Morningrise, he utilizes a higher pitch than the more "traditional" death metal growls that would follow on later releases. And the clean vocals show just how versatile a singer he is. The bass work of Johan DeFarfalla is also phenomenal. As far as I'm concerned, this guy is a world class player. The bass isn't just about keeping the rhythms of the songs together here, it's about branching out and creating totally original, memorable lines that add to the uniqueness of the sound. It's such a shame that this album would prove to be his swansong with the band (taking nothing away from the talent of the current lineup), as the bass sound would also move to a more "traditional" style following this album. Of course, it would be a crime to not also give proper credit to Peter Lindgren (lead guitar) and Anders Nordin (Drums) for their contributions to this masterpiece. Dan Swano must also be mentioned for his wonderful production oversight and engineering efforts. His always steady guiding hand is clearly evident here.

The following three passages from the album are some of the greatest pieces of music I have ever heard in my entire life:

- "Advent" - from the 8:11 mark to the 9:20 mark
- "Nectar" - from the beginning of the song to the 1:33 mark
- "Black Rose Immortal" - from the 12:21 mark to the 14:48 mark

In closing, this is an album that took every conventional idea I had of what makes great music and cast those notions aside forever. The true power behind the greatest music comes from within; from the power of originality, where you are limited not by tradition or by someone else's idea of what will sell, but by the boundaries of your own imagination. This is an essential and timeless classic. This is my favorite album of all time."

Rating: 10/10
Reviewer: Dark One

Jason

I just listened to it last night, for the maybe 30, 35th time ever. It seems like I've heard it like 1000 times. Morningrise is definitely one of my very favorite albums, ever. It has this amazing way of affecting me emotionaly. I agree completely with the part about using it as a fine chinawear you pull out occasionally. If you listen to Morningrise every night it would lose it's effect. The most I listen to it is like once or twice a week, then take a break for a while

naboo said:
I read that before on Opeth's site. Very cool review; probably one of the best I've ever read.

Morningrise is my favorite Opeth album.

That must be where I read that review too cause I know I've seen it before.

I agree completely. These have been my thoughts since I got Morningrise and Orchid. I couldn't possibly understand why Mikael did what he did to the band after releasing two spectacular albums. De Farfalla added so much, but I would go as far to say I enjoy Anders Nordin's drumming more than Lopez's as well. Take Under the Weeping Moon for example, Nordins drumming is fantastic but the song itself has such a great structure and I tend to believe the band doesn't have the boldness to do something like the part from 3:00-6:00 today. The atmoshpere create on these two albums will never be recreated by the band.

Its sad the band performs so few tracks (if any) from their first two albums on tours lately. I'm perplexed that Mikael thinks the riffs on Morningrise are outdated.

I enjoy Anders Nordin's drumming more than Lopez's as well.

o_O Why? His drumming was average (although Sillouette was a good song). Lopez, on the other hand, has the Lopez beat, is much more dynamic and flowing, and even uses some polymeters on GR. I am boggled.