I've found some of my old writing about Morningrise!

I agree with you 200% man.

Morningrise is the best album from Opeth and probably one if not the best album ever created period.

Now, be honest with me ...

How can you listen to Morningrise TWICE in a row at 6:00am when you are half awaked surfing on a cloud and don't get brutally thrown out of bed when Eternal Soul Torture comes up and ruins the whole thing ?

Honestly, who ever came up with the idea to throw this horrible demo track at the end of this masterpiece should be hanged.

:headbang:

Rahan said:

Morningrise is the best album from Opeth and probably one if not the best album ever created period.

How can you listen to Morningrise TWICE in a row at 6:00am when you are half awaked surfing on a cloud and don't get brutally thrown out of bed when Eternal Soul Torture comes up and ruins the whole thing ?

Honestly, who ever came up with the idea to throw this horrible demo track at the end of this masterpiece should be hanged.

Haha yeah I agree, it's ridiculous to put a shitty demo of horrible quality on a perfect beautiful album.. But i think when the review was written in 2000 the re-release wasnt out yet maybe

Honestly, it's a really good album with some amazing sections, plus it's one of the few metal albums I've heard which actually isn't dark (musically at least), which I think is pretty cool and unique. Also, the songwriting was much less 'play this part 4x, play this part 4x' than their new stuff - it was much more dynamic playing. However, the album was plagued with some awful transitions that made the composition weaker and less mature than their later work. I think these transitions (see: beginning of Advent, middle of TBYF, and multiple parts of BRI for good examples) detract from the album. It's still very good, though.

froghawk said:
Honestly, it's a really good album with some amazing sections, plus it's one of the few metal albums I've heard which actually isn't dark (musically at least), which I think is pretty cool and unique. Also, the songwriting was much less 'play this part 4x, play this part 4x' than their new stuff - it was much more dynamic playing. However, the album was plagued with some awful transitions that made the composition weaker and less mature than their later work. I think these transitions (see: beginning of Advent, middle of TBYF, and multiple parts of BRI for good examples) detract from the album. It's still very good, though.
True, I will admit that BWP or even MAYH has much cleaner, more mature transitions and songwriting in some parts. But Morningrise is so emotional and mindblowing to me I can forget about the occasionally sloppiness.

Rahan said:

I'm glad everyone else agrees with me... It fills me with rage every time I hear the sweet ending notes of To Bid You Farewell, and then bloody Eternal Soul Torture stomps all over the serenity with it's awful scratchy guitars and horrible production.

It's seriously worth burning the CD MINUS Eternal Soul Torture.... although it is quite a fitting name, since it single-handedly tarnishes an otherwise perfect album...

^ Haha, one post and everybody already agrees with you. :loco:

I agree. I get anxious towards the end of TBYF and turn it off just in time.

I really don't like Morningrise. Or Orchid for that matter. Just thought you should know. :Spin:

And yeah dodgy "bonus tracks" can ruin an album i think. I searched to find an original version of MAYH without the bonus tracks. Just feels better not having them.. Esspecially on a concept album.