Japan´s Tsunami

It all just seems to be speculation at the moment, although 170,000 people have been evacuated from the Fukushima powerplant, so there could be a possibility but its not a certainty yet, they are apparently having problems with reactor 3 now and there is alot of "definatly maybes" reporter on sky news just said that "the japanese have now acknowledged that there was probly a partial meltdown in reactor 1"

so alot of hear say at the moment, nobody wants the powerplant to go up though, itd be nothing short of globally devastating

As was mentioned before what is "partial" meltdown? "It MIGHT go up" "It kinda melted, just a little bit"

The iodine levels leaking ever hour, are what is recommended per person, ever YEAR.

As was mentioned before what is "partial" meltdown? "It MIGHT go up" "It kinda melted, just a little bit"

The iodine levels leaking ever hour, are what is recommended per person, ever YEAR.

yeah i know man they are either being really optimistic or really fucking dumb by evacuating a tiny 12 mile radius around the plant, they are now apparantly trying to cool reactor 3 with sea water,

the uncertainty of it all must be harrowing for people that could be directly affected, if you knew for certain which way it was guna go then at least you could fomulate a plan to get the fuck away from it, but i hope my cynical predictions of these uncertainties leading to a greater loss of life dont come true, Tsunamis directly taking lives is one thing that cant be controlled, but the Japanese government would have alot to answer for if the plant went up without any evac or emergency preparations put in place as it would take a hell of a lot more with it than just a 12 mile radius

The big question now is about the detection of Caesium in the atmosphere,
which implies that the reactor core has been compromised in some way.
So which one is it? either the core is fine or its compromised?

The silence is deafening when it comes to clarity on this crucial issue.
I can understand wanting to keep it hush-hush to avoid mass hysteria in an already bad situation,
but i'd still rather know what the story is.

yeah i know man they are either being really optimistic or really fucking dumb by evacuating a tiny 12 mile radius around the plant, they are now apparantly trying to cool reactor 3 with sea water

or they're highly trained experts trying their very best to do what's right in a very tricky situation......

Also, a lot the "probably" quotes you hear aren't just deliberate ambiguity to avoid hysteria. Probably a partial meltdown means the scientists think there might have been one but they're not sure. Caesium in the atmosphere means that something has leaked from somewhere, it could be residual contamination from something else, or it could be a tiny problem with the reactor core, or it could be a massive great big fucking hole in the core and the concrete is holding almost everything back. Nuclear power plants are really fucking complicated and the answers are often unclear even to the experts!

@John_C:
But the japanese nuclear industry is famous for this kind of ambiguity,
In previous incidents it's been the same story, they say nothing at first and then quietly expand the exclusion zone whilst all the while keeping a straight face. Whether its pride or just industrial secrecy, it's still bullshit when the facts of a disaster are being kept under wraps and information being dragged out of them.

Lets not forget this Tepco crowd have been caught out falsifying safety records a few times before.
They may very well be experts in nuclear power, but they're also experts in both keeping facts secret and fabricating outright lies.

or they're highly trained experts trying their very best to do what's right in a very tricky situation......

yeah dude im not digging at the brave experts who are trying to fix the plant, i mean of course they would know their shit, it was the government i was talking about, i mean its better to be safe than sorry right? i mean Chernobyl went up during a routine systems test, never mind the highly volatle situation in japan, if i was the head of country that was just ravaged by mother nature id be taking every step necessary to stop any further loss of life

Guys, the last two pages were indeed ridiculous. Stop reading (or at least believing) those bullshit conspiracy theory sites such as infowars, they'll only make you panic for no reason and an idiot in the eyes of others. I'm sorry if it seems harsh, I just cannot stand those idiots who believe that sort of stuff.

Guys, the last two pages were indeed ridiculous. Stop reading (or at least believing) those bullshit conspiracy theory sites such as infowars, they'll only make you panic for no reason and an idiot in the eyes of others. I'm sorry if it seems harsh, I just cannot stand those idiots who believe that sort of stuff.

This! :kickass:

Oh, and the earthquake was an inside job. :rolleyes:

^ I haven gotten sick of all the nutjobs talking about how the earthquakes where caused by the US government using HAARP and chemtrails this and HAARP clouds that. Doing research and rassing an eyebrow, continuing to follow a story is one thing, to accuse our government is attempting a mass extermination of whole nations is beyond the other side of the spectrum.

They've finally done it--the US has weaponized earthquakes...Whats next hailstorms of death???

I agree the news reporting on this has been total bullshit, we live in an age where technology can measure anything--yes they dont know what stage these things are at??

setyouranchor:

STOP BUGGING OUT!

Everyone else:

Probably a good idea to avoid looking at conspiracy theories.

Pretty sure nuclear power is a conspiracy orchestrated by jesus with help from the US government.

Seriously though I don't think any of us in the U.S. really have anything to worry about. But I'm worried as I have not heard from my step brother in Japan in two days :err: So I'm allowed to panic.

Just read the story of a 60 year old man who was found by a destroyer of the japanese marine 15 km (9.3 miles) from the coast, sitting on the swimming roof of his destroyed house. Pretty lucky under the circumstances. There are some really disturbing videos on youtube, of the incoming tsunami wave and the earthquake itself.. wow.

The only real threat to people outside Japan would be the possibility of an explosion in a nuclear reactor with the core exposed, as that may throw various radionuclides into the mid-upper atmosphere, that can then travel with the wind currents.
Still, it's not going to be people melting down and everything turning to fire in minutes.. Polluted air just means a rise in probabilities for cancer in the long term (months-years).

For the japanese, though, things are going to be more and more fucked up :(